The Student Room Group

Should I live with my coursemates or with my flatmates?

Earlier on the term, I agreed to get a house for next year ( 2nd year) with some my flatmates. I agreed as I get on with them but they're not my closest friends. Recently, however, some of my closest friends at uni (i.e. my coursemates) asked me to get a house with them next year. I get on really well with them and enjoy being in their company all the time. However, I already committed to living with my flatmates and am scared that by living with my coursemates I will get tired of them and get stressed as I will have no disconnection from the course. Yet, at the same time, the idea of living with them (even though it seems the less rational) makes me very excited and really look forward to next year because I really truly do enjoy their company a lot at the moment.
I'm in a dilemma and have no clue what I should do :frown:
With flatmates you already know what to expect from them because you've lived with them before. But living with coursemates could also be good as they are your closest friends and if you need help one of them will always be close. I think it's fine to tell your flatmates that you won't be living with them as long as you tell them early enough that no concrete plans have been made
Course-mates.
Original post by Blanqui.blue
Earlier on the term, I agreed to get a house for next year ( 2nd year) with some my flatmates. I agreed as I get on with them but they're not my closest friends. Recently, however, some of my closest friends at uni (i.e. my coursemates) asked me to get a house with them next year. I get on really well with them and enjoy being in their company all the time. However, I already committed to living with my flatmates and am scared that by living with my coursemates I will get tired of them and get stressed as I will have no disconnection from the course. Yet, at the same time, the idea of living with them (even though it seems the less rational) makes me very excited and really look forward to next year because I really truly do enjoy their company a lot at the moment.
I'm in a dilemma and have no clue what I should do :frown:

Hey! I had the same dilemma in my first year! I caant say how your experience will pan out but I decided to stay with my flat mates as oppose to my course mates who i got on better with and really regretted it. I now live with my course mates in third year and love it. It is up to you really but just consider who you would get on better living with:smile:
Hope this helps, if you have any other questions let me know
Sophia
Hi Sophia,

Thank you so much, I feel like everyone is telling me to live with my flatmates because I already know how it is living with them and it's better to go back home to a different atmosphere away from your course etc. And everyone says I can always visit my course mates all the time and I'll see them more etc. One of my flatmates I get really well with so I'm scared of losing contact with her if I don't live with her. Another problem is that I made the decision very quickly (around November) because everyone wanted to get it over and done with so I already paid a deposit for a house with my flatmates. So, you can see that everything is even more complicated than it seems. However, despite all this, I still have the gut feeling that I would enjoy living with my coursemates more.
Uni life is more complicated than I thought :frown:

Thanks for your good advice though, I really appreciate it :smile:
Original post by Blanqui.blue
Hi Sophia,

Thank you so much, I feel like everyone is telling me to live with my flatmates because I already know how it is living with them and it's better to go back home to a different atmosphere away from your course etc. And everyone says I can always visit my course mates all the time and I'll see them more etc. One of my flatmates I get really well with so I'm scared of losing contact with her if I don't live with her. Another problem is that I made the decision very quickly (around November) because everyone wanted to get it over and done with so I already paid a deposit for a house with my flatmates. So, you can see that everything is even more complicated than it seems. However, despite all this, I still have the gut feeling that I would enjoy living with my coursemates more.
Uni life is more complicated than I thought :frown:

Thanks for your good advice though, I really appreciate it :smile:

No one can tell you what your future will hold.

You just have to go not he basis of what your gut feeling is.

Everyone is saying "you know your flatmates". But more times than not, you don't really know how they live until you're actually living with them, in a house. House atmosphere is very diff to students accom.

Friendships don't break depending on how close you physically are to someone. That's an immature thing to say. One of my best friend is in Spain atm and our bond is still has strong as ever. It doesn't matter where you are, it's about how willing you are to commit to the friendship.

I would go with your course mates tbh. And with 2nd year modules (if you have options), the most likely scenario is that you won't see them around uni if you have 100% optional modules anyway. Most of your time you'll see them will be at home as that's where you'll spend most of your time. But I'd defo go with course mates.
Hey @Blanqui.blue

I think it's really subjective and dependent on a lot of things. From my personal experience, I moved in with my coursemates after changing course and found that because we spent a lot of time together because of our course, that our friendship outside of it kind of seemed to dwindle. Even as flatmates. I suppose I learned that they we were only really friends for mutual benefit.

On the up side, if you don't enjoy your time with your course mates, you could always look into moving in with your best friends in the year that follows, so long as you're all still for up for it and close. If you guys are good friends, you'll probably be spending more time in their house than your own anyway. That was often the case for me :biggrin:

Sometimes spending too much time with people can lead to frustration & fights, or you may become the bestest of friends who spend all your time together. Only time will tell, so just make the choice that you think most strongly about. In the end, it's only a year at university and a learning experience if nothing else.

Happy holidays :smile:
Josh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending