The Student Room Group

What kind of homophobia does a typical young ethnic-british homosexual face?

By this I mean a typical Anglo-Celtic British person from a protestant background who's of school/university age. Has the problems of homophobia mostly disappeared from British society?
Original post by muthalganesan18
By this I mean a typical Anglo-Celtic British person from a protestant background who's of school/university age. Has the problems of homophobia mostly disappeared from British society?

This, is a tricky question. Most people are hugely accepting. But there’s never any guarantees.
Depends on where you live. In London, none. In some inbred market town in the North, quite a bit.
Reply 3

Wow this is very specific. Do you watch Masaman on youtube? If not you should, you might be interested in him he's quite a prolific amateur anthropologist.
So not Catholic then?

It depends on how the individual acts or behaves . If he shows no outward signs then no one is any the wiser . I suppose the way he talks is another indicator . Some want to be seen in the shop window and others don't.
In my youth the latter applied . I wouldn't say that the problem had disappeared . I doubt if it ever will ....
Original post by angelinahx
In some inbred market town in the North, quite a bit.

:colonhash:
Original post by FloralHybrid
This, is a tricky question. Most people are hugely accepting. But there’s never any guarantees.

most people arent "hugely accepting." Nor are they accepting. Fear-mongered into two-faced diplomacy, sure.
It's not very acceptable in the middle east .
I've heard that many have been thrown from roof tops and tortured.
Im not sure if it's deemed illegal ....I think it is .
Original post by Johnny English
It's not very acceptable in the middle east .
I've heard that many have been thrown from roof tops and tortured.
Im not sure if it's deemed illegal ....I think it is .

It's illegal in 76 countries I believe.In 7 the penalty is death.In Iran for instance they get hung from cranes and in Saudi Arabia it's beheading.
Homophobia and the violent criminality that often arises from it is socially unacceptable to most of Britain.
Usually targeting male homosexuals, there's always a few loud bigots and violent thugs desperate to bring homophobic hate crimes to the streets.
Vicious playground bullies, national action scumbags and a mix of other criminal lowlifes ensure gay bashing remains a significant source of concern in much of the uk.

Convicting Ruby Thomas of murder rather manslaughter would have sent out a clear message to all other gay bashers that London has zero tolerance for homophobic violence.
Catastrophic wasted opportunity to ensure adequate punishment for a gay bashing killer.
Stonewall produce regular statistical reports on homophobic discrimination and hate crime. Their most recent report says that "a third of black, Asian and minority ethnic LGBT people (34 per cent) have experienced a hate crime or incident based on their sexual orientation and/or gender identity in the last year, compared to one in five white LGBT people (20 per cent)".
There seems to have been an increase in all hate crime in the last couple of years, with non-binary/trans people experiencing especially high levels of violent assault. https://www.stonewall.org.uk/sites/default/files/lgbt_in_britain_hate_crime.pdf
Reply 12
Depends on where you live. In London, none. In some inbred market town in the North, quite a bit.

Really? Somehow I doubt public displays of homosexuality would be well recieved in certain areas of Tower Hamlets....

The statistics OxFossil cited would suggest London is actually one of the worst regions when it comes to homophobic hate crime. [url="https://www.stonewall.org.uk/sites/default/files/lgbt_in_britain_hate_crime.pdf["]https://www.stonewall.org.uk/sites/default/files/lgbt_in_britain_hate_crime.pdf

"LGBT people who have experienced a hate crime or incident due to being LGBT in the past 12 months"

North East 35%
London 25%
Wales 23%
West Midlands 22%
Scotland 20%
East Midlands 19%
East of England 19%
South East 19%
North West 18%
Yorkshire 18%
South West 18%
(edited 5 years ago)
I live in an inbred market town.

We're English and there's no knife crime and no gangs.

Amazing innit bro..... no gangsters or violent knife crime .
Gotta be the way to go ....join the bridge club or histoical society .!👍👍
(edited 5 years ago)

It is weird when sheltered Londoners make predictions about places they have never even heard of, nor visited, never mind experienced. And the thing about small towns is that people are more likely to know each other: being rude to others has consequences. Same cannot be said for the anonymous post-apocalyptic shitehose by the name of London Town. There is plenty of homophobia and hate in London.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
:colonhash:

I know, the cheek.
Reply 15
Original post by Notoriety
It is weird when sheltered Londoners make predictions about places they have never even heard of, nor visited, never mind experienced.

"Oh, everybody look at us, we're liberal Londoners, behold how tollerant, open minded and against predjudice we are.......Those rural and northern towns I've never even been to are all inbred, racist and homophobic! Leave voters I've never even met are all bigoted, uneducated, morons who were too stupid to know what they were voting for! Anyone who doesn't agree with my world view is a fascist!"
Original post by Johnny English
I live in an inbred market town.

We're English and there's no knife crime and no gangs.

Amazing innit bro..... no gangsters or violent knife crime .
Gotta be the way to go ....join the bridge club or histoical society .!👍👍

Original post by Wōden
"Oh, everybody look at us, we're liberal Londoners, behold how tollerant, open minded and against predjudice we are.......Those rural and northern towns I've never even been to are all inbred, racist and homophobic! Leave voters I've never even met are all bigoted, uneducated, morons who were too stupid to know what they were voting for! Anyone who doesn't agree with my world view is a fascist!"

You genuinely make me laugh. Bold of you to assume I’ve never been to small towns when one of my best friends live in Reading and is afraid to come out to his parents because “he needs somewhere to live” and is afraid they’ll kick him out. The thing is that, whilst you’re going on and on about Londoners who are the ones paying the taxes for your welfare and how “narrow-minded” we are, you’re probably laughably straight and thus have no right to speak out on whether homophobia is a thing because you don’t experience it nor are you affected by it.
It is weird when sheltered Londoners make predictions about places they have never even heard of, nor visited, never mind experienced. And the thing about small towns is that people are more likely to know each other: being rude to others has consequences. Same cannot be said for the anonymous post-apocalyptic shitehose by the name of London Town. There is plenty of homophobia and hate in London.

I know, the cheek.

.... Except that, I do visit small towns, I have gay friends who live in small towns and who literally come to London to escape the rampant homophobia and who have considered moving to either here or to Brighton. Stop assuming so much.
.... Except that, I do visit small towns, I have gay friends who live in small towns and who literally come to London to escape the rampant homophobia and who have considered moving to either here or to Brighton. Stop assuming so much.

These gay best friends from Reading?

Got news for you, chica. Reading isn't in the North.
These gay best friends from Reading?

Got news for you, chica. Reading isn't in the North.

The North was an example, albeit a poor one. Small, English, working class inbred towns in ... general tend to be more homophobic than the larger cities, and there’s little to no homophobia in London.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending