The Student Room Group

Epq is it worth it?

Just wondering if the epq is really worth it. Taking 4 a levels and then to do that on top. Is it better than a fifth a level? How do oxbridge feel about it? And Ivy League?

Thanks I’m just not sure of its purpose
If you're doing 4 A-Levels than no I would advise against it.
Reply 2
Original post by Oneiropólos
If you're doing 4 A-Levels than no I would advise against it.

Really! My school encourages it if you do 4 or they say do 5. Especially if your aiming for Russell group or better
If you're doing 4 A-levels, doing an EPQ has the risk of bringing your grades down. Unis will be more likely to accept you if you have 4 good grades rather than 4 okay/poor grades and an EPQ.

Side note: At the start of the lower sixth 25 people were doing an EPQ, and now in upper sixth, only 1 or 2 are finishing theirs, and most people in my years have got good offers, without an EPQ:smile:
Original post by jpeg.idek
Really! My school encourages it if you do 4 or they say do 5. Especially if your aiming for Russell group or better

That’s bs, you only need 3 A-Levels to get into a RG Uni, better to have AAA than ABBD plus an A on an EPQ

That's ridiculous... far too much work and Russell groups only ask for three good a levels.
I did EPQ and I would say it was worth it. i only did 3 a levels but it definetly does help with essay writing and all the skills you need for your dissertstion at uni. However, doing this on top of 4 a levels could be stressful and your grades could come down
Reply 7
Original post by djcharpie
I did EPQ and I would say it was worth it. i only did 3 a levels but it definetly does help with essay writing and all the skills you need for your dissertstion at uni. However, doing this on top of 4 a levels could be stressful and your grades could come down

Thanks so much for the advice everyone
Reply 8
But how do oxbridge and Ivy League feel about it
But how do oxbridge and Ivy League feel about it

Look on their websites. It will say next to entry requirements whether they take it into account. Also, I don't think EPQ is even a thing in the USA? I'm not sure if they'd recognise it. A quick google search should help you find out though. :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by wastedcuriosity
Look on their websites. It will say next to entry requirements whether they take it into account. Also, I don't think EPQ is even a thing in the USA? I'm not sure if they'd recognise it. A quick google search should help you find out though. :smile:

Thanks but do oxbridge have any value in them I’m sure they’re not a necessity
Thanks but do oxbridge have any value in them I’m sure they’re not a necessity

As I said, look on their website. It won't be a necessity.
Reply 12
Ok thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending