The Student Room Group

Why law

As I was writing my personal statement, the dreadful question of why law came about and I just don’t know how to answer it. All I can come up with are cliches even though they’re true. I’ve wanted to study law since I was little and even everyone around me encouraged that idea. I also like to argue which could possibly be why relatives would think I would be a lawyer one day. Any advice?
Original post by angelikiii
As I was writing my personal statement, the dreadful question of why law came about and I just don’t know how to answer it. All I can come up with are cliches even though they’re true. I’ve wanted to study law since I was little and even everyone around me encouraged that idea. I also like to argue which could possibly be why relatives would think I would be a lawyer one day. Any advice?

" I’ve wanted to study law since I was little", literally the biggest, worse cliche you could put in your ps.

why not state a couple of recent law cases that have piqued your interest? are you able to analyse using what you can find from precedents?
Please do😂
I will not rush you, you should take your nap and come back with a clear answer afterwards. That’s probably best for both of us
OP sounds like someone who needs to do their own research first
Thank you so much for the detailed response. You make excellent and helpful points. I think I’m going to stick with your first point, maybe briefly mention my interests and how they encouraged me to apply for a law course. I don’t have many characters left so I don’t think I can take up discussing a piece of news. I tried a similar route, saying that I come from a country which abuses the power of law and that made me realise its importance and why I want to study it. However, my teacher thought I was starting off negatively and that it was a bit much.
Reply 6
The Money! :biggrin:
Oh don't tempt me! I will pull the J-SP line; "who are you to summon me,".
Hahahah, you're feeling brave today.
We might find out sooner.

Personally I don't think the TSR Gods are clever enough to distinguish. Do you? (Edit: maybe they are.)
Just remember that it isnt 'I want to be a lawyer because', its 'I want to STUDY LAW because'.

What is it about spending 3 whole years of reading tons of case law and fighting your way through legal jargon that interests you?
Hint - analytical mind, interest in language, like puzzling out things.

If you look at the course description for Criminology (example - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2019/criminology/bsc-criminology/) and then one for Law - what is it about Law that interests you over Criminology (or any other Social Science) ?
(edited 5 years ago)
That was J-SP calling me a grotbag (impliedly), not me calling you one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending