The Student Room Group

Catfished for 3 months by a cheater

Hi,
I need some advice regarding a catfish I have met him on a social media platform he has pretended to be a 17 year old boy (he's 29...and has been using photos from 10 years ago....blamed the photo quality on his bad phone)
After discovering his facebook account i was shocked to discover that he's not only 29 but also in a relationship for the past 9 years.

(Side note I'm 15)
For the past 3 weeks i have been acting unaware wanting to confront him on christmas day...but realised how cruel that would be ruinning not only my Christmas but his too.

Shall i confront the family or his partner through facebook? His nephew is also my age shall i contact him?
Before christmas is up?
Or do I ignore him?
I could also confront the catfish but it won't change anything....
(He's not only a cheater but a pedophile too....used to work as a police officer)

PS:s-smilie:orry for the rambling
What happened with him? Like did he try to pursue a relationship with you? Or was he trying to become friends with you? Not that it really matters, but if he was trying to get you to do anything sexual or trying to get you to meet him, tell the police. The timing of when you do this is irrelevant, it's very nice of you to be concerned about ruining his Christmas but your safety comes first. I think his family would be grateful to know. If you're really intent on doing it after Christmas, ignore him until then.
Reply 2
If he's doing it to you, he's probably doing it to other girls your age as well. Don't concern yourself with whether it ruins his Christmas, he's a predator and doesn't deserve your compassion.

Obviously it's up to you what you decide to do, but avoiding all confrontation with him - which might be wise - and instead informing your own family, or the police, is another option.
Report him to the police NOW
This is grooming
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
I need some advice regarding a catfish I have met him on a social media platform he has pretended to be a 17 year old boy (he's 29...and has been using photos from 10 years ago....blamed the photo quality on his bad phone)
After discovering his facebook account i was shocked to discover that he's not only 29 but also in a relationship for the past 9 years.

(Side note I'm 15)
For the past 3 weeks i have been acting unaware wanting to confront him on christmas day...but realised how cruel that would be ruinning not only my Christmas but his too.

Shall i confront the family or his partner through facebook? His nephew is also my age shall i contact him?
Before christmas is up?
Or do I ignore him?
(He's not only a cheater but a pedophile too....used to work as a police officer)

Simple, block and move on.
Personally, this is a huge red flag and I believe the police should be involved, if anyone. Your moral compass is key here: if you think that the family should be involved or at least notified, that is your call honey, but I do believe that someone should be told about this, not only for your safety but for others' too.

Very brave of you to post here tho gurl, you should be very proud of yourself for that. 😁
Reply 6
Sorry forgot to mention the 'relationship' is long distance as he lives in the United states.
He said he wants to take it slow....but he talks about 'wanting me' and how 'tempting' I am.
He was very sweet from the beginning....writing me love poems and showing me his home town.
(This just makes it more difficult to leave)

Everything else he told me was the truth...
(Apart from his partner and age)
For the past 3 months we have been talking for minimum 3hours everyday which is crazy...
Reply 7
Sorry forgot to mention the 'relationship' is long distance as he lives in the United states.

He said he wants to take it slow....but he talks about 'wanting me' and how 'tempting' I am.

He was very sweet from the beginning....writing me love poems and showing me his home town.

For the past 3 months we have been talking for minimum 3hours everyday which is crazy...

Hi,

(Side note I'm 15)

Before christmas is up?
Or do I ignore him?

*another one the town he lives in is very small
And all his friends actually work in the police department and prision guards.

(Not to mention the fact that he has 'told them about me'...)
Reply 8
Why are you still talking to him despite everything you know about him? Stop being a drama queen, stop dragging this out unnecessarily and just block him and move on. I don't understand why you feel the need to wait until Christmas Day before you confront him about it. Get it out in the open first, then cut contact and let everyone move on with their lives. You said yourself you think he's a paedophile so you have no excuse to keep talking to him any more.

Also, it's not a relationship if you've never met him in person and he's catfished you.
Hi,

(Side note I'm 15)

Before christmas is up?
Or do I ignore him?

Tell his partner and the police. Can we have his facebook too?

*another one the town he lives in is very small
And all his friends actually work in the police department and prision guards.

(Not to mention the fact that he has 'told them about me'...)

As someone said further up, why are you even bothering with this guy?
Nothing needs to be done about it unless you met him in real life.
Like the user above said, simply block and move on.
(Side note I'm 15)

Would explain why you're being stupid...

Block and ignore, move on
Reply 13
Hi,

(Side note I'm 15)

Before christmas is up?
Or do I ignore him?

If I was in your shoes I would be pissed off at all the lies and my wasted time and would probably contact all his family with screenshots etc then block him..

and tbh, it seems like you still like him somewhat else you wouldn't continue keeping up the charade
Ruin his life.
Original post by ANM775
If I was in your shoes I would be pissed off at all the lies and my wasted time and would probably contact all his family with screenshots etc then block him..

and tbh, it seems like you still like him somewhat else you wouldn't continue keeping up the charade

I did take the screenshots and i am planning to confront him....

I just keep having those mood swings one sec i absolutely loathe him the other times i feel bad...
In light of your latest update I am concerned at how gullible and vulnerable you are. This is a pack of lies. There is no relationship. How do you even know that he lives in the US?

Block, and move on

Do it NOW

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending