The Student Room Group

Unremarkable ventures II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by _gcx
Got an interview invite a few hours ago for the 3rd December. The interviews are apparently only 20 minutes each, and both are subject related.

Massive congratulations on getting an interview and all the best of luck from me. I know you'll smash it! :smile:
Original post by _gcx
Got an interview invite a few hours ago for the 3rd December. The interviews are apparently only 20 minutes each, and both are subject related.

tags

yEET :crazy:
Original post by _gcx

tags

Meet me in Cam bossman
Not tired so I figured I might as well write this.

Tomorrow (monday) is my interview, and the fact I have absolutely no idea what to expect scares the **** out of me. My confidence has been fluctuating a lot. But imo it can go either way.

I started my EPQ on the significance of the development of rigour, particularly in analysis in the 19th century. I have had the thumbs up on the question and am very happy with how broad it is, and that it allows me to get into more of the maths rather than bogged down in evaluation. So far I've been planning my essay, and have been collecting sources. I am pretty happy that there are plenty of sources that I can use on the topic. Writing it in LaTeX using Overleaf so I have biblatex to automate all the references which is welcomed. The main difficulty I think will be having to condense it to 5000 words, since I feel I can easily go over. I'm not quite sure if I'm doing the right thing, since I could find no exemplars. I'll be sure to give updates on this.

Oh, and we have had an actual internet connection as of last friday.

tags

(edited 5 years ago)
Good luck with your interview and I hope it goes well but even if you think it doesn't, they might think it does :wink:
:lovehug:
Glhf with the interview, hope it goes well.

Maybe be off TSR before 2pm tonight though :tongue:
Good luck for your interview!
Was randomly wondering how your EPQ was going the other day :giggle: Glad it's going well! When's your final deadline?
:woo::yay: for internet finally! Honestly don't think I would have coped without internet for that long ngl :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
glhf gz, I'm sure it'll be fine so long as you don't flex too hard. Poor interviewers probably weren't expecting to walk into that room and given a complex analysis lecture series.
Blind them with ur brilliance (or whiteness) friendo
Never ended up updating this. Don't particularly want to but probably should for completeness. Not going to use the taglist since the regulars here have probably heard too much of it. Had my interviews on the 3rd:

The first was with the DoS and a former head of damtp and I was bricking it. The good thing was that they paid attention to the three topics I gave and both of my questions were about that, though they skipped infinite series in the middle. Both questions were a lot easier than I'd have expected. I made a start on both straight away on both but froze, for what I hope was a brief while, in the first. Made quite a few slip-ups and said something completely wrong for good measure. Left thoroughly embarrassed (reflecting on some parts brings back that feeling) and certain I'd get rejected. Looking back it probably wasn't as bad as I made out at the time, but it was dire and would be the reason why I was rejected.

Second was with another former department head and a young-ish fellow. We started with another question from the 3 topics (meaning 3/4 on those 3 topics). Didn't have much issue, some minor slip ups, dropped a coefficient at one place (though it didn't effect the result since the integral was zero anyway), and was reminded to look back at previous working a few times. The second question wasn't much trouble either. Left wayyyyyyyy more confident than the first.

Had to omit certain details so I probably made it sound much better than it actually was. Annoyingly, as Mr. Doones has repeatedly told people, I can't really judge my performance. Would hope not to get rejected but I probably will, as much as I hoped to raise my confidence through self-deprecation. Next update will be on the 14th, and depending on the outcome this could be the penultimate one. If it is a negative I'll probably be off to Warwick and then switch off to the straight maths course at the earliest opportunity. Probably too early to plan beyond that.
Rooting for you :jumphug:
Going off stats then? I thought you told me Warwick didn't really allow that swap though :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _gcx
Never ended up updating this. Don't particularly want to but probably should for completeness. Not going to use the taglist since the regulars here have probably heard too much of it. Had my interviews on the 3rd:
[ul]
[li]The first was with the DoS and a former head of damtp and I was bricking it. The good thing was that they paid attention to the three topics I gave and both of my questions were about that, though they skipped infinite series in the middle. Both questions were a lot easier than I'd have expected. I made a start on both straight away on both but froze, for what I hope was a brief while, in the first. Made quite a few slip-ups and said something completely wrong for good measure. Left thoroughly embarrassed (reflecting on some parts brings back that feeling) and certain I'd get rejected. Looking back it probably wasn't as bad as I made out at the time, but it was dire and would be the reason why I was rejected. [/li]
[li]Second was with another former department head and a young-ish fellow. We started with another question from the 3 topics (meaning 3/4 on those 3 topics). Didn't have much issue, some minor slip ups, dropped a coefficient at one place (though it didn't effect the result since the integral was zero anyway), and was reminded to look back at previous working a few times. The second question wasn't much trouble either. Left wayyyyyyyy more confident than the first. [/li]
[/ul]
Had to omit certain details so I probably made it sound much better than it actually was. Annoyingly, as Mr. Doones has repeatedly told people, I can't really judge my performance. Would hope not to get rejected but I probably will, as much as I hoped to raise my confidence through self-deprecation. Next update will be on the 14th, and depending on the outcome this could be the penultimate one. If it is a negative I'll probably be off to Warwick and then switch off to the straight maths course at the earliest opportunity. Probably too early to plan beyond that.

bby thank you for dusting the cobwebs, it was beginning to get a bit dusty.

As annoying as it does sound, he makes a compelling point; we're not really the best judges of our own interviews, and the interviewers themselves are the best opinions on that tbqh. You're expected to make some slip-ups etc, in fact it's probably slightly more alarming if you're not, and it's completely normal to leave feeling uneasy. I believe in you though, and I'm sure a lot of others in this taglist can vouch for me on this, you definitely have a good chance of a positive result on Jan 14th (Please get in, 20 copies of Bad Rats will look awkward on my bank statement). If not, **** them, it's their loss and I'm sure any institution would be rightfully grateful to have someone of your ability and, whilst I hate the use of the word 'passion', for mathematics.

Spoiler

Original post by _gcx
I can't really judge my performance. Would hope not to get rejected but I probably will

Going to have to thonk this one.

Spoiler

Original post by _gcx
I was going to wait before I created this thread but I figured I might as well do it now since idk when the old GYGs are getting archived.

Old thread is here

UCAS Tracker

Academic things

UCAS choices

Updates on UCAS

Interests and about me

Future aspirations

tags

Any ideas on what else to add would be appreciated.

Banner courtesy of StayWoke

Good luck
Original post by Lemur14
Rooting for you :jumphug:
Going off stats then? I thought you told me Warwick didn't really allow that swap though :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I just want as much freedom in terms of module choices as possible. I don't remember: I would try to switch on results day but failing that - you can switch at the end of the first year results pending. Cambridge would be the ideal, because there's completely free choice, and you can go into the exam and answer any questions you want. (which is the advantage of having 4 papers, instead of a paper for each course)

Original post by thotproduct
bby thank you for dusting the cobwebs, it was beginning to get a bit dusty.

As annoying as it does sound, he makes a compelling point; we're not really the best judges of our own interviews, and the interviewers themselves are the best opinions on that tbqh. You're expected to make some slip-ups etc, in fact it's probably slightly more alarming if you're not, and it's completely normal to leave feeling uneasy. I believe in you though, and I'm sure a lot of others in this taglist can vouch for me on this, you definitely have a good chance of a positive result on Jan 14th (Please get in, 20 copies of Bad Rats will look awkward on my bank statement). If not, **** them, it's their loss and I'm sure any institution would be rightfully grateful to have someone of your ability and, whilst I hate the use of the word 'passion', for mathematics.

Spoiler

I meant it's annoying because it's true. As I said I'm conflicted as to how it actually went. Could've been like a 3 or an 8, I literally have no clue. Pooling would feel like a second chance so would actually be a good motivator. It would be a massive knock to my confidence especially considering how many people miss the STEP offer with 3s and such.
Original post by etothepiiplusone
Going to have to thonk this one.

Spoiler

Me motivating other people who think they're going to get rejected, colourised:

Spoiler

Original post by _gcx
No, I just want as much freedom in terms of module choices as possible. I don't remember: I would try to switch on results day but failing that - you can switch at the end of the first year results pending. Cambridge would be the ideal, because there's completely free choice, and you can go into the exam and answer any questions you want. (which is the advantage of having 4 papers, instead of a paper for each course)

I meant it's annoying because it's true. As I said I'm conflicted as to how it actually went. Could've been like a 3 or an 8, I literally have no clue. Pooling would feel like a second chance so would actually be a good motivator. It would be a massive knock to my confidence especially considering how many people miss the STEP offer with 3s and such.

Yah that definitely is peak, most people's interviews will be a :uws: the nerves/stress accumulate and we end up conflicted, we don't know if it was **** or sick. But it's best to distract yourself for now until then, further speculation is just going to convince you that you've not done as well as you might have done, and vice versa, let that sonking go to the interviewers who are evaluating you. Relax, breathe, you've cleared the academic and administrative heptathlon that is a Cambridge application, gone from starting off, getting the preds, writing the PS, sending the app, withstanding the grilling, and now the final step (no pun intended), good job, ggwp. As I keep saying, (and apologies at this point because I've probably annoyed you lmao), so long as you've answered questions and shown a logical progression, arithmetic slips or coefficient drops won't really stain you overall, they just want to see the bigger picture, what you were trying to do and why, and if you got something in the end, all the better, they don't need you to explain every minute step but from what you've described as long as you made some decent progress it should be calm.

With regards to pooling, it's a mixed bag for everyone, some people if they obsess over their college might be oofed but imo, it's probably better than no offer at all, and it's, as you said, a good motivator to do even sicker on STEP to show up your original college (although you were going to meet the 1,1 regardless lmao). I promise I won't meme you in the unlikely event it's Girton, since, as a Girton Music Applicant, I'll be in the same bubble. Nothing is certain at this point, so the best thing you can do for yourself is breathe, and try your best to chill, cap off 2018 on a happi, and cross that bridge when it comes to it (play some sonic or smth lmao). Always rooting for you though fam.
Original post by _gcx
No, I just want as much freedom in terms of module choices as possible. I don't remember: I would try to switch on results day but failing that - you can switch at the end of the first year results pending. Cambridge would be the ideal, because there's completely free choice, and you can go into the exam and answer any questions you want. (which is the advantage of having 4 papers, instead of a paper for each course).

Ahh right, that makes sense. I mean assuming you get the grades for the maths which is like 99% I'd guess then I'd expect them to be relatively willing :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _gcx
Me motivating other people who think they're going to get rejected, colourised:

Spoiler

What a qt π\pi :redface:
Original post by etothepiiplusone
What a qt π\pi :redface:

you mean qt pipi

Quick Reply

Latest