The Student Room Group

***gcse art & design grade 8/9 booster guide***

Hello GCSE Art Students!

I'm Farhan and I did GCSE Art. After the long and painful journey of **** I hated, I got 200/200 in my GCSE Art, so I thought I'd use my experience of GCSE Art to string a guide (attached) together on how to reach a Grade 8/9, or in other words how to get 90%-100% in your Art GCSE. This is a strenuous journey, and pretty much ALL of it HAS to be done to get a Grade 9, but just put your mind to it, practice, manage your time well and I'm sure you guys will definitely get the grades :smile:

Have fun...?

- Farhan.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FarhanChughtai
Hello GCSE Art Students!

I'm Farhan and I did GCSE Art. After the long and painful journey of **** I hated, I got 200/200 in my GCSE Art, so I thought I'd use my experience of GCSE Art to string a guide (attached) together on how to reach a Grade 8/9, or in other words how to get 90%-100% in your Art GCSE. This is a strenuous journey, and pretty much ALL of it HAS to be done to get a Grade 9, but just put your mind to it, practice, manage your time well and I'm sure you guys will definitely get the grades :smile:

Have fun...?

- Farhan.

This is great thanks for sharing!

Have you continued pursuing art? :smile:
Hi! Thanks for the support.No, actually. I do still draw and I’m working on a portraiture project, however I’m currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and French at A Level (might do French AS this year and drop it) in hopes that I go into Medicine :smile:
I have never been more thankful for something. My art teacher is not helping with my 7 at all, and he literally told the class none of us can get a 9. I'm determined to prove him wrong as I have wanted to get a job as an artist for all of my life! Good luck going into medicine!
Reply 4
Hi I would like to say for the past 3 years I also tried so hard to get mt 9 in art . I would also like to say there was no help during this time could I get help from someone who had it because there wasnt such a person. Nobody had ever got the 9 in art or in photography. So this was fustrating to say the least, Nothing online or in school. But I didnt stop and either should you. It was difficult but I did it I gained a 9 in my art and a 9 in photography . On results day I got on the phone with my art and photography teacher and in his own words he said
My teacher never really explained the grades or even anything basic like the fact that we had to annotate everything, so I think I'm far from getting a 9, but I think with this I could easily get a 7 or an 8!
Original post by vixenponere
My teacher never really explained the grades or even anything basic like the fact that we had to annotate everything, so I think I'm far from getting a 9, but I think with this I could easily get a 7 or an 8!

thanks! i’m sure you can get that but aim for a 9! because even if you fall short a little bit you’ll still get your 8 for sure :smile:
Hi!
Thank you for this! Do you regret taking art for GCSE because im really fed up with it now and find it so pointless.
I really regret taking art!
Original post by anonymous10123
Hi!
Thank you for this! Do you regret taking art for GCSE because im really fed up with it now and find it so pointless.
I really regret taking art!

errr yes and no, lemme explain
yes because it was very time consuming and it did affect quite a few of my other GCSEs and really in the long run it doesn’t do much for me.
no because the critical/analytical skills i learned from researching other artists and the way my skill in art has shot up in the past couple of years alone makes it worthwhile. there are some skills in art that are incredibly facilitating. it was Art that helped me get almost full marks in English Lit because my ability to psychoanalyse got so on point, and also I want to apply to Medicine and become a surgeon - doing art really helps with your hand control :smile:
these reasons are unique to me but maybe you find value in what i say (maybe not!) but really it’s all down to the person. at the end of the day it’s another GCSE that’s going to be written everywhere and you should work as hard as you can for it, but ultimately it’s down to you :smile:
errr yes and no, lemme explain
yes because it was very time consuming and it did affect quite a few of my other GCSEs and really in the long run it doesn’t do much for me.
no because the critical/analytical skills i learned from researching other artists and the way my skill in art has shot up in the past couple of years alone makes it worthwhile. there are some skills in art that are incredibly facilitating. it was Art that helped me get almost full marks in English Lit because my ability to psychoanalyse got so on point, and also I want to apply to Medicine and become a surgeon - doing art really helps with your hand control :smile:
these reasons are unique to me but maybe you find value in what i say (maybe not!) but really it’s all down to the person. at the end of the day it’s another GCSE that’s going to be written everywhere and you should work as hard as you can for it, but ultimately it’s down to you :smile:

Thank you Farhan!
This has really helped me as i do want to take English Lang for A-leveland this could help me like it did for you in Lit. I forgot that the annotation can really help with other subjects and at the end of the day it has improved my skills even if it is time consuming!

Thank you !
I also got full marks in my art GCSE but I would like to point out that I didn't fulfil all of the criteria suggested on this thread, for example, I did not include title pages.

My art teacher explained to me (and it was clearly effective) that the main things that you must include are:

-observational drawings (drawings copying close up photos in relative detail, trying to make them realistic)
-artist references (do not include any info on the actual artist just on how they have created their artwork, the effect it has, your opinions of it and how it will influence your work. For some of your artists, you must create a piece in their style showing how you have responded to their work)
-photography (it is important to include multiple photoshoots throughout your project as well as smaller groups of photos where appropriate)
-pieces using paint (it is important to show that you are confident with the use of colour)
-annotations (keep all of your annotations neat and write them as if writing a diary - what you like/dislike, what is effective, what has an impact)
-development (each page should link to another page but note that it does not have to directly link to the pages immediately before and after, in fact you can get extra points for "imaginative leaps in ideas")

Remember DO NOT:

-include overly large titles or writing of any kind, if it is too big, bright or obvious, points will be deducted because it distracts from the work
-forget to include any of the criteria listed above
-leave large empty spaces or purposely try to fill spaces with anything useless, even if it means your project will be shorter
-include information about an artist, like where they were born, grew up, worked or age
-have a really short project (for example 10 A3 pages or less) because this is not enough to demonstrate a consistent ability

I hope this was helpful :smile:
Will this guide still earn me an 8/9 in AQA art?
Original post by That_student
Will this guide still earn me an 8/9 in AQA art?

although this is adapted to the edexcel mark scheme, i’d imagine many similarities between the two mark schemes so hopefully yes. i won’t be definite as there may still be differences but have a look at the AQA mark scheme and adapt your work to that :smile:
Original post by Watermelona
I also got full marks in my art GCSE but I would like to point out that I didn't fulfil all of the criteria suggested on this thread, for example, I did not include title pages.

My art teacher explained to me (and it was clearly effective) that the main things that you must include are:

-observational drawings (drawings copying close up photos in relative detail, trying to make them realistic)
-artist references (do not include any info on the actual artist just on how they have created their artwork, the effect it has, your opinions of it and how it will influence your work. For some of your artists, you must create a piece in their style showing how you have responded to their work)
-photography (it is important to include multiple photoshoots throughout your project as well as smaller groups of photos where appropriate)
-pieces using paint (it is important to show that you are confident with the use of colour)
-annotations (keep all of your annotations neat and write them as if writing a diary - what you like/dislike, what is effective, what has an impact)
-development (each page should link to another page but note that it does not have to directly link to the pages immediately before and after, in fact you can get extra points for "imaginative leaps in ideas")

Remember DO NOT:

-include overly large titles or writing of any kind, if it is too big, bright or obvious, points will be deducted because it distracts from the work
-forget to include any of the criteria listed above
-leave large empty spaces or purposely try to fill spaces with anything useless, even if it means your project will be shorter
-include information about an artist, like where they were born, grew up, worked or age
-have a really short project (for example 10 A3 pages or less) because this is not enough to demonstrate a consistent ability

I hope this was helpful :smile:

thank you so much! i guess there are different ways of getting full marks in Art GCSE and it just depends how you do it. having title pages for me for example just divided my work up more clearly and gave a logical flow to it but if you were told not to and you got full marks too then i guess that’s fine. but the underlying themes for getting full marks are very similar so at least that shows my guide isn’t completely out there haha! well done on getting full marks though :smile:
Reply 14
hi, i dont understand what a complex thumbnail is what do you mean by merging areas and artists to create a complex thumbnail? thanks
Original post by adz67
hi, i dont understand what a complex thumbnail is what do you mean by merging areas and artists to create a complex thumbnail? thanks

hi!
by complex i mean just multiple things compiled to one object, like how in a complex sentence you have two or more clauses within one sentence.
what i mean is to merge areas (portraiture, landscape, sculpture) and artists (Da Vinci, Mahfud, Van Gogh, Banksy etc.) to create one piece.
this means combine areas of sculpture and portraiture in the artist style of Toni Mahfud as one idea, and have your ideas based on that. this will give you original ideas and that’s what they’re looking for, that’s just the easiest way to go about it - a little mix n match :smile:
Hello GCSE Art Students!

Have fun...?

- Farhan.

I'm currently doing GCSE Art, and I'm wondering, how many pages (roughly) did you do for your coursework? Is this A4 size?

I feel like I haven't done enough and it's driving me nuts.
Original post by Jingzhong Fan
I'm currently doing GCSE Art, and I'm wondering, how many pages (roughly) did you do for your coursework? Is this A4 size?

I feel like I haven't done enough and it's driving me nuts.

hi!
there’s no “enough” to the amount of pages. it’s all about quality over quantity. the examiners much rather 10 pages of good work over 50 pages of rubbish work. of course, for full marks, you’ll probably need to do 50 pages of good work to convince them (these are example numbers btw!) but in all honesty someone who completes one sketchbook of good work is just as good as five sketchbooks of okay work, and if you ask me it’s more efficient to go for the former :smile:
i did A3 btw haha
hi!
there’s no “enough” to the amount of pages. it’s all about quality over quantity. the examiners much rather 10 pages of good work over 50 pages of rubbish work. of course, for full marks, you’ll probably need to do 50 pages of good work to convince them (these are example numbers btw!) but in all honesty someone who completes one sketchbook of good work is just as good as five sketchbooks of okay work, and if you ask me it’s more efficient to go for the former :smile:
i did A3 btw haha

Thanks for the quick reply! The general idea was exactly what I wanted. When you say 50 pages do you mean 50 A3/A4? Or do you mean 50 of either size.
Original post by Jingzhong Fan
Thanks for the quick reply! The general idea was exactly what I wanted. When you say 50 pages do you mean 50 A3/A4? Or do you mean 50 of either size.

50 of either size but i’m just trying to make a point haha! basically lots and lots of semi-okay work is as good as great work in not as big a quantity, but the latter is your best bet for a decent grade and if you do lots of good work then that will also increase your chances :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest