The Student Room Group

How many points do you need to get into Uni?

I’m currently in year 11 and have to put in my application to sixth form in two days, I really want to go to university and study Business but I fear the choices I pick won’t be good enough to get into university.
I want to do BTEC Business, BTEC Psychology and Finance for A Levels.
Finance is an AS level so I won’t get as many points as an actual A level would. For eg, a grade A in an A-level is 48 points, but in an AS level it’s only 20 (according to UCAS Tariff points)
so, realistically, if I got 3 B’s, that’s 96 points. Would that be enough? If not, do you recommend I choose another A level instead of finance as my AS level? (I don’t wanna take 4 subjects btw)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by natashaxoxo
I’m currently in year 11 and have to put in my application to sixth form in two days, I really want to go to university and study Business but I fear the choices I pick won’t be good enough to get into university.
Finance is an AS level so I won’t get as many points as an actual A level would. For eg, a grade A in an A-level is 48 points, but in an AS level it’s only 20 (according to UCAS Tariff points)
so, realistically, if I got 3 B’s, that’s 96 points. Would that be enough? If not, do you recommend I choose another A level instead of finance as my AS level? (I don’t wanna take 4 subjects btw)

Have a look at the website of some of the universities you'd be interested in attending. If you type in 'BA Business, University of X' it'll take you to a course page with a section on entry requirements.

If you've got any questions or can't understand this section you'll also be able to find an email address - universities are very friendly so just give them a shout and ask!
every university has different entry standards and many dont use the ucas points system but operate on grades. I dont quite understand why you are taking this subject combination. There are different levels of btec which are roughly the equivalent of 1, 2 and 3 A levels. If you want to go onto business why not take a btec extended diploma in business. This is the equivalent of 3 A levels and is accepted as such by most universities. The finance choice. Why not take an A level instead of an AS which is usually the first year only.
Why would you only take finance as an AS level? As is taken at the end of year 12. You then go on to take the A level at the end of year 13.
Reply 4

That's because an AS-level is now 40% of an A-level. But which exam board is this? Do you mean Accounting?
Original post by swanseajack1
every university has different entry standards and many dont use the ucas points system but operate on grades. I dont quite understand why you are taking this subject combination. There are different levels of btec which are roughly the equivalent of 1, 2 and 3 A levels. If you want to go onto business why not take a btec extended diploma in business. This is the equivalent of 3 A levels and is accepted as such by most universities. The finance choice. Why not take an A level instead of an AS which is usually the first year only.

hey! I’m so sorry that I’m extremely ignorant and clueless on this but isn’t a btec extended diploma in business taken in college? I’m wanting to stay at my school and go into sixth form; and for my option choices:
I chose BTEC Psychology because I’m currently really enjoying it at GCSE, getting decent grades and it’s one of the few BTEC’s my sixth form offers (I’m better at coursework than doing 100% exams).
And for finance, i thought this and the combination with business would be a good clash? No?
I’ll be honest and say my mum told me it was an AS level so she may of been confused lol, this is what it says on my schools website;

27DA8B90-308E-4042-A218-E8C6179DD0ED.jpg.jpeg

thanks in advance and once again I’m so sorry for my ignorance aha
(edited 5 years ago)

Every course at every uni will be different. Many unis don’t even consider UCAS points for their courses (I got rejected on A Level results day when I got a same on points set of grades-I got AAC when they wanted ABB).

You’ll need to look at specific courses at specific unis for what their individual requirements are
Original post by Nautilus
Why would you only take finance as an AS level? As is taken at the end of year 12. You then go on to take the A level at the end of year 13.

Original post by Doonesbury
That's because an AS-level is now 40% of an A-level. But which exam board is this? Do you mean Accounting?

this is from my schools website
I’m not sure if this helps at all;

9E1E6D72-ED10-46DD-9487-8E0E67B5298F.jpg.jpeg

I’m really sorry about how discombobulated i am about this, my school never really told us about credits for university or anything along those lines, this is so new and foreign to me that all we were given was a sheet with a bunch of boxes to tick for what options to take
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
this is from my schools website
I’m not sure if this helps at all;

9E1E6D72-ED10-46DD-9487-8E0E67B5298F.jpg.jpeg

I’m really sorry about how discombobulated i am about this, my school never really told us about credits for university or anything along those lines, this is so new and foreign to me that all we were given was a sheet with a bunch of boxes to tick for what options to take

That's not an AS-level. AS- & A-levels are a different type of qualification to BTECs.

Are you at a UK school?

Are you doing GCSEs? If so what grades do you expect to get (roughly)?
That's not an AS-level. AS- & A-levels are a different type of qualification to BTECs.

Are you at a UK school?

Are you doing GCSEs? If so what grades do you expect to get (roughly)?

Yeah, I’m at a UK school. I’ve lived in England my entire life.

I’m in year 11 so I’m sitting my GCSE’s in May/June of 2019.
Honestly, all my TG’s are a grade 4 but I’m thriving to get 5’s, maybe 6’s? (Grade B/C)
I’m definitely not the smartest lol but I do try my best.
Reply 10
1 point
Reply 11
Yeah, I’m at a UK school. I’ve lived in England my entire life.

I’m in year 11 so I’m sitting my GCSE’s in May/June of 2019.
Honestly, all my TG’s are a grade 4 but I’m thriving to get 5’s, maybe 6’s? (Grade B/C)
I’m definitely not the smartest lol but I do try my best.

Ok, so the CeFS is a Level 3 certificate, and is *equivalent* to an AS-level. You can also do the DipFS (Diploma) which is equivalent to an A-level.

https://www.libf.ac.uk/study/financial-capability/teacher-and-exam-officer-information

HOWEVER both the CeFS and DipFS appear to have very limited acceptance by universities.

If I was you I'd stay with BTECs rather than this Finance course. Can you add a different BTEC or do the extended certificate version of Business, for example?
Ok, so the CeFS is a Level 3 certificate, and is *equivalent* to an AS-level. You can also do the DipFS (Diploma) which is equivalent to an A-level.

https://www.libf.ac.uk/study/financial-capability/teacher-and-exam-officer-information

HOWEVER both the CeFS and DipFS appear to have very limited acceptance by universities.

If I was you I'd stay with BTECs rather than this Finance course. Can you add a different BTEC or do the extended certificate version of Business, for example?

Yes, my school offers the extended version.

4A0CB407-CADF-41E3-98EE-53B97243B5E3.jpg.jpeg

And yes, there are a few other BTEC choices (Science, PE, Dance, Drama, IT and forensics) but I am not interested in any of these.

The only other option I thought about was Sociology but I thought this may be difficult when studying Psychology as well. (As well as it not being a BTEC so it’s 100% exams)
Also, I don’t think this correlates well with Business but if I get the grades I guess it would be fine??..

I’m in such a mix since I thought Finance would go well with BTEC Business, but now you’ve told me that some universities have limited acceptances from CeFS so I’m not sure if I’d want to risk my future on this option. I’m just not sure why this course is ignored? If i get a good grade, as well as my other two options also getting good grades, why would they limit the acceptance?

Btw, thank you for this since it’s really helpful!
(edited 5 years ago)
To be honest the extended btec in business is likely to be your best option. Your alternative would be to take indiviual subjects but most people would go down the extended btec in business. This is accepted in nearly every university. I dont know if there is a btec in sociology but it would fit well with business and psychology.
Reply 14
Yes, my school offers the extended version.

Do that then. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I was thinking of taking that anyway aha, but I’m guessing finance isn’t a good option?
If I took business, psychology and finance, would I get in if I get good grades, even though the finance is CeFS? Does the certificate business make up for it?
Reply 16
Yeah, I was thinking of taking that anyway aha, but I’m guessing finance isn’t a good option?
If I took business, psychology and finance, would I get in if I get good grades, even though the finance is CeFS? Does the certificate business make up for it?

The risk is that universities won't accept the CeFS at all. It would be much better to do the Extended Business course
The risk is that universities won't accept the CeFS at all. It would be much better to do the Extended Business course

Okay, thank you so much for your help! I’m going to take the Extended Business course with btec Psychology and Sociology.
I’m really glad I asked otherwise I would’ve taken Finance which wouldn’t of gotten me into uni :smile:
Thank you again!
Reply 18
Okay, thank you so much for your help! I’m going to take the Extended Business course with btec Psychology and Sociology.
I’m really glad I asked otherwise I would’ve taken Finance which wouldn’t of gotten me into uni :smile:
Thank you again!

Uh, you don't need to add Sociology. That would be equivalent to 4 A-levels. Just do well in Extended Business and Psychology.
Uh, you don't need to add Sociology. That would be equivalent to 4 A-levels. Just do well in Extended Business and Psychology.

Sorry? Isn’t extended business just one a level?
Does It counts as two?
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending