The Student Room Group

An economic's students 2nd year (GYG 2018-19)

Scroll to see replies

Another Sunday

Hmm... I guess there wasn't too many memorable things that happened this week, but there's always memorable things that happen.
Bit of reflection is always good for being relaxed and at peace, I think though.

The in-class "memory" test I had last week for Financial Markets went great- I remembered everything I had planned to remember and surely, just for that, I feel like I should be getting 70+... If not, I'll be making a fuss about it

I did my presentation in-class for Econometrics and I kinda might have done a little better with a bit more of preparation as the computer we had to do the presentation on was acting all strange and it ruined my mojo a bit. Nevertheless, I think it went decently and I should be getting 60+. Not ideal, but considering my partner isn't great... It's okay. I was a little late (which didn't really matter as I wasn't presenting at the start of the class) due to my

Got the results from an econometrics mid-term test I did a couple weeks back. Got 69 when I expected 71 (the lecturer had released the paper with answers after we did the test) so I don't know if it's woth making a point of it, for the sake of 2 marks...I'll have to decide on Wednesday afternoon as that's the time for their office hours.

Got a games and strategies mid-term test this week Thursday so that has left me with quite a lot of revision time. And, to be fair, I don't really like having loads of time to revise because revision is really boring (and, not necessarily easy). Anyways, I'll be focusing on that now.

It feels a bit weird to say it, but I guess this is my space for my thoughts so what the hell, but I was quite happy with my progress with the ladies this week haha.
So this one girl I kinda on-off talk with was for some reason very active last week (in talking...) and that was nice... while it lasted. I was like, let's meet up to revise for the Games and Strategies test this week (nothing weird), and she was like yeah great, then the time came and she wasn't there lmao. So I asked if something had come up and she was just like nope. So, that sucks overall. And I'm a bit like... what?
Moving on... there's a pretty hawt girl in my course (who's been there from last year lol, I recognise her by face and vice versa probs), and I dunno, she's in my trading class. So that's sick. Anyways, my mate ditched me kind off as he left the class asap once it had ended so somehow I had a chance to actually talk to her in real life lol. She's foreign but her accent isn't too foreign so maybe she's British and like I said before she looks great and from what I've seen she's smart and I definitely want to try and get more interaction going lol. It's not like I'm a doush so I'm feeling hopeful? Alas, there could be that curse of "I have a boyfriend"...
Finally, I was doing my job as brand ambassador just getting people to signup in the library and I mean it's actually pretty good as I get to kind-of practice chat up people I like with no pressure or fears lol. Girls are generally "nicer" from what I've seen so far in terms of being willing to signup too... so it's a win-win. Anyway, there's a lot of good-looking people but for most it's just a surface-deep like... however, one chick, who was in 1st year caught my attention by destiny or something lol. Basically, she was doing the form on my phone then put my email instead of hers so I realised and went back to her. Anyway, she was really sorry and didn't mind doing it again (which impressed me) which led to me making stupid jokes like... It could have been worse, you could have got my number. Hah. I'm not sure how really, but we ended up talking for like 30 mins about courses and I dunno, university (she was doing politics and hispanic studies o.o), and it's pretty remarkable as she taught herself Spanish too! Anyway, I thought there was actually something special there (like, more than probably anything in the whole 2 years of uni so far lol) so I was thinking what the hell, I'll get my bag (kept it elsewhere) and go back and ask for her number... anyways, went back and she was on the phone "to a friend" and we all know what that means... (she was on the phone for real though). Anyway, I didn't want to look weird by being there any longer now so I just left. I figure if she was interested she would have told me to wait or given me her number. But, that didn't happen obv, so yeah. Plus, what the hell, she was fit, maybe she already has a boyfriend lol.

Oh... and how could I forget Black Friday!!! Obviously the tech sales drew me in, but I had to be realistic. There was a great sale on a gaming mouse (I have one already though) and gaming headset (meh?) so I was a little sad to have not gotten those. Nevertheless, I treated myself to a web-cam which I was looking at for a while (didn't want a bad one, but didn't want to spend a lot either). My laptop webcam is quite terrible so I couldn't really do much there. I do have a lot to say (as one might tell) and it's not bad stuff either so I dunno, I'll wait and see once I pick it up on Tuesday... Again, I suppose there's a decision if whether I should fak the anonymity element on TSR or not. I don't think I've said anything too bad but what the heck, employers see your social media and shiz know and they might dig up a Tory post I liked lol. It's not that I don't feel confident in my image at all, it's more... will it affect my career prospects negatively? I don't think it will though, so I probs just need to man up.
Something's changed

This week was week 11 and next week is week 12, which is the last week of semester A.
That's kind of nice as it means I'll be half-way through the year! :O
Have to say so far it's been 'easier' than I was expecting.
I don't think it's because I've been doing anything different to last year, in terms of individual effort, rather just the actual course content is easier.
You could say the jump from A-Level to 1st year is greater than 1st year to 2nd year, which makes sense anyway.

I've had an econometrics (we use a program called Stata) homework due in this week, which I submitted on Friday 7th Dec and I feel quite good as I just feel like I understand that module now. Which is great as conceptually people say it's a bit difficult.
I still have one final coursework for this term... Macro II due on the 16th so next Sunday!
That piece requires us to basically answer questions (ah, that's really unhelpful, I know) on stuff related to what we've done in class/lectures so I'll have to review that briefly.

Anyway- what's changed? Maybe it's a change of me alone, but I confess that I get asked a lot by other people on my course for help or solutions or whatever. And, usually, I just say okay. But, maybe because I've had time to relax and contemplate fully this weekend, I've realised I'm not up for doing that. I don't think people who aren't your mates to ask for your work lol. Even if it is notes. Everyone takes their own notes and believe it or not, everyone is competing with eachother, even if they pretend like they are not. I didn't believe it till now, but the point is, relationships are two sided, and it doesn't matter what relationship it is- academic or otherwise, if you're putting in more than the other person... there is an issue.

So yeah, that was a little serious. But, it's good to have it out. There isn't really much else to say for this week!
End of the term folks!

But it's certainly not the end of this economics blog... I'll definitely keep it going till this academic year is up. It's been a nice place to get my thoughts and feelings out... yeah, all sorts of emotions, not just the academic ones.
I know people often say "TMI" when people talk about all of their feelings, so, apologies if it was cringe.

Right- so finished term A or semester A. There still is no definitive one answer to calling the 1 hr sessions we have with a teacher "classes" or "tutorials" either!

So the term finished in Week 12 and the School of Economics and Finance actually put together for us a free party to celebrate on the Monday (now 6 days ago). That party was... not too bad and not too good. I wouldn't really even call it a party as there was no music (so that was fake news) and it was more just come in and talk with your friends. So... if you had no friends there, you would be dead feeling awkward. Thankfully, I came with my mate lol. Anyway, they did a good job in giving us free food and drink, so that was good!

In terms of the actual lectures and tutorials for the final week - I skipped my financial markets class + lecture as they give the solutions and the lecturer sucks. Went to my other 3 lectures though, but skipped the final Econometrics class (as I didn't see much benefit from attending).
You're allowed 2 skips of any class and can skip as many lectures (as attendence isn't monitored for those) per term before they (the School) starts calling you out, lol.

The major thing for this week on the minds of all of Macroeconomics II students was the 2nd piece of coursework due on Sunday 16th Dec at 11pm. And, to no surprise, many people were asking me for help, lol. I am pleased with my efforts and think I'll get a good mark. Maybe 85 would be awesome.
I did react a little as I get a little annoyed by people who aren't my friends, and I don't even talk to start asking me for my notes or solutions. It's not like they offer to help me in return.
Anyway, one half-regret is that I pissed off one of my kinda half-friends, a girl, as we'd not spoken in real life once this year, and she decided to ask for a lot, so I was not cool with that, and had a bit of a rant. Anyway, after my rant, we somehow were at the same place at the same time (in the train station) and I was like, that's cool, let's talk. Well, she didn't really want to talk... so I waited a few days, and messeged about it. Anyway, turns out she was majorly pissed by what I said so all I could do was apologise for hurting her feelings, lol. It's kind of a shame because she does seem like she is serious about studies and shiz so I am always open to more study buddies haha. She said she needs time to forgive, or something. So, we shall see next term I guess. It could be nothing or it could be great.

Oh, and this other girl, who was really hot, and was in one of my classes, and I managed to talk to once, now I guess hates me or something and wants nothing more to do with me aha. So... another one bites the dust! Not that's a good thing.
It might be a bit confusing when I'm talking about these ladies but I think I've mentioned 3 different ones so, yeah, it's 1 of the 3 I'm referring to, each time lol.
Original post by pereira325
Day 6 30.09.18:

Some progress made

30.09.18.PNG
As you can see from the above image, I've done very few things today.

In the morning actually I forgot I had badminton (a weekly thing I do with my dad), so I wasn't back at home till about 1pm. And then, when I got back, I needed a shower and it was also lunchtime. Being a Sunday, my family wanted to spend ages watching tv, so I was there till about 4pm. It was fun, but in terms of productivity, not ideal.

Anyway, I only went onto my laptop at about 4:30pm so I had a couple of hours. And those hours flew by mostly in something called procrastination.
Right. Well, there was dinner and we're here now... to the night.

What's most annoying is that I paid the sub fee for the Catholic society (£4) as I thought I was able to attend the weekly meetup, and when I went to ask later if it's okay me attending they now tell me it's moved to Thursday! And lo behold, I have a class on Thursday at that exact time.
I have attempted to move my class to another day, but really, it's a pain, and I wish they'd have stuck to their timetable. However, let me guess, it's done for the convenience of the admins of that society.
It's a major frustration for me with societies... they are pretty much set to the time for whoever runs it, and whoever is free at that time can come, but for anyone who's not free... try again next year with the timetable lottery! It's not like the society runs after university is done either (after 6pm), but in afternoon normal times.

Anyway, really hope I can attend the society or I'll just be sad and remain lonely, lmao. And I guess I'll have to leave my £4 as a donation to the Priest or something!!!

PLease stop writing so much i am fninding it hard to red it.
Original post by EmilySarah00
This might win an award for the latest reply EVER! I'm so sorry I've just been so all over the place (think I was ill when you wrote this reply and I just lost it in a swarm of notifications!) But I've just been catching up on your blog and It's looking a lot more lively than last time I was around here!

Your schedule seems so so busy but it's great to see how you're keeping up with things! I also need to transfer my schedule to something a bit more readable like a spreadsheet :lol:

I presume second year freshers week is a bit less manic than first year? And I'm a little more on my feet now thank goodness!

I think I'll just about make it to second year, I've got a couple of grades back now and I'm not off to a terrible start so that's good! :teehee:

Hope you're doing well!

I hpope you are achieveing 1st at least.
Original post by Dexter P
PLease stop writing so much i am fninding it hard to red it.

Sorry. I've tried to use paragraphs to make it easier to read. Also, research papers and articles in general contain a lot of "writing" so this is prep for your attention span.
Sorry. I've tried to use paragraphs to make it easier to read. Also, research papers and articles in general contain a lot of "writing" so this is prep for your attention span.

I wouldn't worry, this guy looks like a troll judging by his profile and other posts.
End of term is a blessing :clap2:
Original post by emilynxlan
End of term is a blessing :clap2:

YEAAAAH :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Feels less good knowing that I'll be back in uni in less than a month from now I think.
do you know how to do lagrangian multiplier
Original post by anythinggoeshe
do you know how to do lagrangian multiplier

Of course.
We learnt it firstly in 1st year (MMEB2 - maths module)
and we are using it again in 2nd year (Macro II- Macroeconomics).

In 2nd year we have been using it to maximise consumption from the utility function subject to the lifetime budget constraint.
So it might look something like:
Max U(C1,C2) s.t. (a-b+10=0)
And, you have to choose which variable you are maximising/optimising with respect to..
In my example it could be c1 or c2.
Of course.
We learnt it firstly in 1st year (MMEB2 - maths module)
and we are using it again in 2nd year (Macro II- Macroeconomics).

In 2nd year we have been using it to maximise consumption from the utility function subject to the lifetime budget constraint.
So it might look something like:
Max U(C1,C2) s.t. (a-b+10=0)
And, you have to choose which variable you are maximising/optimising with respect to..
In my example it could be c1 or c2.

how do i do this

a)A firm has the possibility of charging different prices in its domestic and foreign markets. The corresponding demand equations are given by P1 = 400 2Q1
P2 = 320 1.5Q2
The total cost function isTC = 5000 + 200Q where Q = Q1 + Q2 Derive an equation for total profit in terms of Q1 and Q2.

Then, using partial differentiation, determine the prices that the firm should charge to maximise profit with price discrimination and calculate the value of this profit.b) Repeat part a) with the constraint that total costs are limited to 20000 (Use the method of Lagrange multipliers)
Original post by anythinggoeshe
how do i do this

a)A firm has the possibility of charging different prices in its domestic and foreign markets. The corresponding demand equations are given by P1 = 400 2Q1
P2 = 320 1.5Q2
The total cost function isTC = 5000 + 200Q where Q = Q1 + Q2 Derive an equation for total profit in terms of Q1 and Q2.

Then, using partial differentiation, determine the prices that the firm should charge to maximise profit with price discrimination and calculate the value of this profit.b) Repeat part a) with the constraint that total costs are limited to 20000 (Use the method of Lagrange multipliers)

No offence but you don't go to someone and ask for help without even attempting the question AND/OR showing them your workings out so far.
If you go to a lecturer/class teacher they will laugh because they aren't doing the question for you.

This is from a first years maths module, no?

I will give hints or whatever because I would not like to set a precedent lol...

1.Working out the equation for total profit in terms of Q1 and Q2 (easy)
2. Determining prices to maximise profit under price discrimination (mostly easy too), calculating profit (easy)
3. Maximise profit subject to a constraint of 20,000=5000+200Q in place of TC = 5000 + 200Q, and,then lagrange... Please check your notes. Or if you really are that stuck, I can check mine.
Been a while... new term doesn't mean a new start, btw

Right. So our second and final term (semester B) at QMUL began this week...

Semester A was 12 weeks long so I assume the same applies for this term (I wasn't exactly keeping track last year).

According to that, I'll be finished by the 31st of March! :O

Anyway, that's good news to me because...

->I don't feel too great about my Semester B timetable... as it seems now I have to come in on Monday just for 1 class! That's very annoying.

-> I don't think I'm going to really have any new friends other than the ones I have atm (which is 2, lol).

-> Most people don't like me, or don't even want to know me. Despite being on my course, lol. It does hurt a little knowing that every week. I mean maybe that's normal for university but in Sixth form and pre-that even, I had way more "friends" and even people I could casually talk to despite not being friend status.

-> This year hasn't been too challenging. In terms of content difficulty, I have been dissapointed by what QMUL has offered. Perhaps Semester B will offer some more challenge.

Anyhow, enough of the doom and gloom...

Good news:

->Nothing's happened to me!

-> I like my lecturers for this term and none of them are extremely boring!

-> All of the lecturers seem to have good slides which mean easier learning in a way

-> I don't think there will be many group project works this term which means I don't need to fake enjoy working with people in my year (although I mean I do enjoy working as a team, it's more I think the relationship is fake)

Oh, and those girls who didn't like me... well, I guess they still don't. So that sucks and looks like that's the reality for this year.
Just gotta focus on my studies, get my first and move onto 3rd year :smile:

Right, that's all for now, goodluck to all with whatever you're doing and back next week hopefully :smile:
Hey man, I have just been reading the sections about girls.

Imo don't stress about finding one and if a girl doesn't like you being with her would be pointless :smile:
Original post by SilverWater
Hey man, I have just been reading the sections about girls.

Imo don't stress about finding one and if a girl doesn't like you being with her would be pointless :smile:

Indeed. Maybe I've been gifted with extra testosterone but a curse of bad personality but I do think about relationships often. It just happens these days. Influenced by Facebook memes, music videos, pretty much so many things in real life you just get exposed to, lol.

When I say often, it's like once a day at most.

I totally agree with your rationale and in-fact in some ways I'm lucky because even if I did have a girl, what the hell would I do. Hah. Then again, I'm sure that would be the easy bit :smile:

In my opinion the best I and other single people who are looking for "love" is just be ourselves, try to be the best version of ourselves, and, give yourself the chance / opportunity for something to happen.

Be ourself-> No point faking who you are or attempting to pretend to be perfect because if you do end up in a relationship, you can't exactly maintain that 365 days a year... and, that's deceitful when your true personality is revealed.

Be the best version of yourself-> We can't change our skin colour, our face, our beliefs (mostly) but we can be open-minded, not be stubborn and most importantly be positive and hard-working. I can't exactly see any reason for someone rejecting you for having those personality traits (unless they crazy). Of course, you also can't expect to get someone turning up looking like a hermit so dress decently and look decently and most importantly behave decently. Perhaps my behaving too decently is what lets me down, but heck, I don't want to start on that as there's the whole "anti-nice guy" idea and some guys who take "nice-guy" to terrible extremes and ruin that.

The opportunity-> Well, you may be looking great, you may be a speaking great, but, if you're in the library on your laptop with your headphones in... well, it's pretty damn unlikely anything will happen. Obviously we live for ourselves, we don't live solely to be in a relationship and have no relevance being single, but, you have to put yourself out there. Talking to people has been the best way and continues to be so. For me, face-to-face interaction is the best. As humans, when you find a person you like, you just enjoy talking to them. Now, when talking to a professor that probably isn't the case, but when it's with someone you "like", you could talk for a long time, albeit they probably want to escape as soon as possible. Haha.

I feel like I'd be great at writing relationship advice but I mean there is no point as the true irony is I've not had one yet! Blah.

I realise you said a really short amount and I've said a tonne, but, I enjoyed letting this out anyway. Otherwise I wouldn't be typing this!
#GatesatQMUL

Well, clearly, the greatest moment of my degree and probably any other QMUL student right now, would be Bill Gates visiting our university yesterday! Yep, the 25th of Jan 2019. Mark that date because he certainly wo't be coming back (because it's QMUL + he's already old right).

I actually managed to nab a ticket so got to see him with my own eyes. Regretfully, being one of the lucky few who got a ticket meant people in my course got annoyed and kicked me from the course group chat, lol. Nevertheless, that was something temporary, and it's all been fixed.
Anyway, seeing Bill Gates irl, I suppose it just made me realise the power to achieve greatness is within all of us. He didn't seem particularly physically impressive or act or sound like a genius like you'd imagine Dr Enigma from Gotham would act.

So yeah, I think the message from Gates is to work hard, work smart, and achieve greatness. You have to be working hard to get promotions / stand out / actually develop something worthy, and the work smart just means you have to be doing that work in the right sector or area. We live in a capitalist world, and people value what they value. A mobile phone technological advance is probably worth more than a chair technological advance for instance lol.

Do I blame the uni?

I can't speak for all courses, or, for a university experience as whole, but there are so many improvements that can be made to my course and the university. It's 2019 and I'm surprised really with how many faults there are. Lockers is one thing...study spaces another thing...

Anyway, for this small paragraph I actually wanted to focus on tutorials. The 1 hour / week class we have per module. So 4 hrs/week as 4 modules.
The way they go is you just turn up, load up a problem set, the class teacher solves the problem set, you copy the working out and ask questions, and, you leave.
Repeat for the whole term (10 classes I believe).
Go home, wait a day or something, module leader puts up solutions for the problem set.

Problems with this:
-> Class teacher can be crap and the department doesn't consider it an issue because a) you're supposed to do the work yourself anyway... and/or b) you get the solutions anyway
-> 1 hour is not enough. Forget what you pay per year in tuition fees. You get 1 hour a week per module to actually get the opportunity to solve questions with the help of an expert, and that's all. So 10 hours in total and then it's solo rolling till the final exam. It's tough work for students and the class teacher. I feel bad for class teachers as a lot of them do really great work and really try hard- it's not their fault!
-> There is no incentive to actually pre-do the class work. Otherwise, what are you going to be doing during the class? Making notes of... nothing? Listening to the class teacher go through the stuff you've already done?
->Attendence is trivial. You attend for attendence at the minimum because if you miss more than 3 classes a term (3/10) you get threatened with de-registration from the module, lol. But, no1 actually cares what you do during the class, if anything.
->People don't communicate in classes. Now, it's partially the students fault but surely, the School of Economics and Finance can find a way to solve this. Or, perhaps they don't care. I've seen lecturers be attended by other lecturers (to assess the quality of teaching), and, even poorly delievered lecturers pass. I don't think any lecturer can fail. They're pals so there isn't a reason to fail the other. Jobs are on the line... they just gotta fill the form for procedure, to have the paperwork in order, eh.
->You don't need to revise or do any actual preparation for the class. In-fact, you don't even need to bring your brain, or a pen, or a paper. You can borrow someone else's pen to sign the attendence sheet anyway!
->Class timings are stupid sometimes. Now, class teachers are Phd students and getting paid or not, who knows. But, imagine the poor sod who's allocated a 5pm-6pm Monday slot and can't swap it with any other student because no-one is crazy enough to want that slot, and just has to come in for that one class, every week? That student is going to be driven crazy and really not enjoy that class. Hell, we have a grand total of 12 hours of teaching time in a week. You could fit that in 2 days.
Before uni we were pulling 9-3 days every day. Sure, now, it's 9-6 potentially, but that just highlights how they could fit it all in 2 or 3 days. People work (despite being a full-time degree allegedly) because they need to and people have to travel in. But, of course, that's not the universities problem is it. That's the student's problem.

I'm impressed with how many points I managed in my rant. Maybe someone from SEF will read this. P.S. disclaimer: any similarity to a real life person including this online persona is purely coincidental... obviously

Anyway, for some good news.

I would like module leaders to take a leaf out of the Micro II lecturer's book.

The lady is a really great lecturer... here's why:
-> She is very friendly
->She encourages students to ask questions
->She seems to actually remember people from lectures
->She seems to enjoy teaching and conveys that in positive lecture teaching
->Nice powerpoint slides
-> Uses pen/paper to add notes / extra explanations where relevant
->Actually has the lecture recorded
-> Doesn't look or seem bored by teaching the content
->Doesn't have a boring voice
-> Used a fun poll in the lecture to actually bring some diversity to the monotonicity
-> Encourages students to discuss and work with eachother
->Sets actually "useful" assessments-> a fortnightly quiz which she recommends working with your friends/coursemates to do and encourages revision of content
10/10 lecturer (for now). To bring some balance to this sea of positivity, I do find attending the lecture mostly a waste of time because the stuff we are covering is basic as heck. Then again, that is not her fault, but whichever SEF person who approved AS-Level Economics content to be in Micro II (a second year module, a pre-requisite being Micro I from 1st year).

Till next week. Keep dreaming people- set goals and complete those goals. The more goals you complete the closer you get to making the dream a reality :smile:
Indeed. Maybe I've been gifted with extra testosterone but a curse of bad personality but I do think about relationships often. It just happens these days. Influenced by Facebook memes, music videos, pretty much so many things in real life you just get exposed to, lol.

When I say often, it's like once a day at most.

I totally agree with your rationale and in-fact in some ways I'm lucky because even if I did have a girl, what the hell would I do. Hah. Then again, I'm sure that would be the easy bit :smile:

In my opinion the best I and other single people who are looking for "love" is just be ourselves, try to be the best version of ourselves, and, give yourself the chance / opportunity for something to happen.

Be ourself-> No point faking who you are or attempting to pretend to be perfect because if you do end up in a relationship, you can't exactly maintain that 365 days a year... and, that's deceitful when your true personality is revealed.

Be the best version of yourself-> We can't change our skin colour, our face, our beliefs (mostly) but we can be open-minded, not be stubborn and most importantly be positive and hard-working. I can't exactly see any reason for someone rejecting you for having those personality traits (unless they crazy). Of course, you also can't expect to get someone turning up looking like a hermit so dress decently and look decently and most importantly behave decently. Perhaps my behaving too decently is what lets me down, but heck, I don't want to start on that as there's the whole "anti-nice guy" idea and some guys who take "nice-guy" to terrible extremes and ruin that.

The opportunity-> Well, you may be looking great, you may be a speaking great, but, if you're in the library on your laptop with your headphones in... well, it's pretty damn unlikely anything will happen. Obviously we live for ourselves, we don't live solely to be in a relationship and have no relevance being single, but, you have to put yourself out there. Talking to people has been the best way and continues to be so. For me, face-to-face interaction is the best. As humans, when you find a person you like, you just enjoy talking to them. Now, when talking to a professor that probably isn't the case, but when it's with someone you "like", you could talk for a long time, albeit they probably want to escape as soon as possible. Haha.

I feel like I'd be great at writing relationship advice but I mean there is no point as the true irony is I've not had one yet! Blah.

I realise you said a really short amount and I've said a tonne, but, I enjoyed letting this out anyway. Otherwise I wouldn't be typing this!

Haha is cool bro :smile: I know everyone lives there life their own way etc but I really do believe you have the right philosphy ie be the best version of yourself.
I think you really are a nice guy tbh but I think it does let you down at times. Like I recall you posted earlier this half-friend (girl) was asking for a lot of help and called her out for. You did the right thing imo. You shouldn't let someone take advantage of you and the fact that you put your foot down was correct.

However, afterwards you apoligised for "hurting her feelings" imo that was wrong. Why? Tell me what did you exactly do wrong to her? You made is clear this is not ok ie her absuing your help. She then became upset for being called out for being in the wrong when she is wrong? She then has the cheek to say "she needs time to forgive" .

Dude, I would do two things in that situation. Lose my mind for being so ****ing ignorant or just cut her out of my life. I really don't see what benefit she provides you as a person. I know this comes across in a narcistic way but is she really worth your help and time???? Imo she isn't.

If you think you have a bad personality then work on yourself so you have a good one :smile:
Ngl I think about relationships every now and then everyone single does tbh and thats normal lol.

I'm not the best person for what its like to be in a relationship ngl but imo life is still the same ie keep working on yourself but you just have a girlfriend lol. Girls always come last in life and are forever the cherry on top.
Positivity is free

I realised I forgot to post an update last week, and, I suppose the reason was simple. I didn't feel like it.

This week, now, I feel good. I feel calm. I feel ready to take on this week. I am content with myself.

I would consider myself as a pragmatic, malleable person. Which is why I felt I was a good fit for Economics, and, still feel this is the right subject for me. I've been watching a TV program, Salvation (Sci-Fi) and in the program, second series, they have a cult where no-one is stressed despite impending doom.
Why you wonder?
Because... they accept.
I think that's a good ability to have in managing stress. Accept what you can do. And accept what you can't do.
The real life relevance is vital in a busy world we live in. There are a lot of tasks we have to do, different deadlines etc.
Time-tabling is my way of handling all of that, and combined with a good mindset, the things you can achieve are up to you- or down to you!
Interestingly, this is idea of acceptance is also reiterated in a prayer I was told once- The serenity prayer.
The bit of interest is "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."
Religious or not, I think it's a great idea to follow.

Anyway, I thought this post, instead of ranting and raging against all of the pressing issues about university (which don't worry, still exist aplenty at QMUL), I'd do the opposite and promote something nice.

Interestingly, pin-pointing what has triggered my whole acceptance was a rejection asking a girl I liked out for Valentine's day.
I think the reason I wasn't upset was because I handled the whole situation well and I think we're still friends, which is probably the first time that's happened, after asking someone out. Also, I feel better personally, as I don't actually think I was rejected by anything about me, but rather due to the simple fact that she already has a boyfriend :biggrin:. That's a big deal of progress to me.

I'm feeling all philosophical right now, despite probably hating philosophy (which is why I didn't pick PPE for uni), and again, some lyrics from the song Something Just Like This by Coldplay, The Chainsmokers come to mind.
They are:
"I'm not looking for somebody
With some superhuman gifts
Some superhero
Some fairytale bliss
Just something I can turn to
Somebody I can kiss"

I think the reason I am content, and, with nearly a tear in my eye (due to the emotional progress I feel I've made, lol), is because being myself is and will always be enough. The same applies to everyone, whoever reading, and whoever not.
I talk about relationships so often, and, wish to be in one...lol. Perhaps that's why I'm not in one as a jinx.
Anyway, we can only be who we are, and, I would say always try to be the best version of yourself. Sure, we can't control our genetics, but we can control how hard we work for instance! By doing that, we make ourself open to love, and ready for a relationship. Someone will notice that, and, heck, they aren't expecting a "superhero", but just a nice person.
Saying that, I believe this ties into Economics well. Utility maximisation is a topic that is loved and by doing our best, being efficient... we optimise our utility gains.

So, saying all of this, I was building up to sharing that I have a Mid-term test this week Thursday, the first for Semester B, for Selected Topics of Macroeconomics. And, I'm not afraid because I will be prepared :smile:

That wasn't as great an ending as I was expecting, but, alas, life is often a dissapointment. No-ones perfect :P

So... be positive. And, if you feel like you have "issues", feel free to get them out here anonymously or whatever.
I accept myself and that is why I am content.
Original post by SilverWater
Haha is cool bro :smile: I know everyone lives there life their own way etc but I really do believe you have the right philosphy ie be the best version of yourself.
I think you really are a nice guy tbh but I think it does let you down at times. Like I recall you posted earlier this half-friend (girl) was asking for a lot of help and called her out for. You did the right thing imo. You shouldn't let someone take advantage of you and the fact that you put your foot down was correct.

However, afterwards you apoligised for "hurting her feelings" imo that was wrong. Why? Tell me what did you exactly do wrong to her? You made is clear this is not ok ie her absuing your help. She then became upset for being called out for being in the wrong when she is wrong? She then has the cheek to say "she needs time to forgive" .

Dude, I would do two things in that situation. Lose my mind for being so ****ing ignorant or just cut her out of my life. I really don't see what benefit she provides you as a person. I know this comes across in a narcistic way but is she really worth your help and time???? Imo she isn't.

If you think you have a bad personality then work on yourself so you have a good one :smile:
Ngl I think about relationships every now and then everyone single does tbh and thats normal lol.

I'm not the best person for what its like to be in a relationship ngl but imo life is still the same ie keep working on yourself but you just have a girlfriend lol. Girls always come last in life and are forever the cherry on top.

Interestingly, if you see my latest post (intentionally written before replying to this, so although it looks like I was inspired by reading what you've written here... it's purely coincidental!), it sort of re-iterates what you've said.

Be the best version of yourself. It's great. The power of self-belief is something crazy. It can make a person, and it can break a person.
I'm glad I believe in myself, and it sounds like you believe yourself too.
At the end of the day, when you look in the mirror, who do you see? You don't see your mum or dad. You see yourself.
The person most important to convince is you. A person who believes in themself is like Achilles. Almost impervious to everything.
The reason I choose Achilles, is because he has a weak spot.
There's always the risk of heading into "arrogance" territory instead of remaining in "confident" land. I know this myself.
I don't really have any conclusive answer to avoiding "arrogance", but, one's moral compass is often a good guide. Am I a good person? Was it right for me to do/say that? Everyone answers to themself. Self-reflection is important in remaining humble.
Lol, anyway, I feel like this is how a preacher would sound, so enough of that!!!

I pride myself on being a nice-guy. I don't see it as a selling point, but, just as a part of my personality. Being nice should be a standard personality trait, but of-course it isn't.
It does let me down, but, most of the time, the positivity inside of me, helps me to I guess try again.
About that girl, she hasn't spoken to me since, and, my gut tells me to not try to talk to her. She doesn't want to know me. And, that's fine.
I know that her personality is talkative, and mine too, so she would know if she tried to talk to me, I'm sure it'd be great.
I don't know if she has forgiven me or not. Perhaps she never wanted to be friends, and, thus feels bad/ashamed, so is leaving it there instead of trying to fake something. In the future I might find out the "why", and, for now, I really don't mind.
I agree with you- it's not worth my time chasing a relationship that the other person doesn't want to exist.

About the girl being the cherry on the top. I agree with the idea. Being single forever means everything I do is for myself or for "my family". As I grow older, I appreciate that it really becomes more for me. I will become 'successful' for me. Not to get a girl, not to get my parents to stop annoying me (haha), but, because I want to be a success.

I would like to share some good news. I still don't have many friends but I have made a new'ish friend who is a girl. She goes like the same way back after an evening Micro II lecture, for a bit of the journey. Anyway, it's really nice. Nice, because, I'm not speaking to her because I think she's hot necessarily (hah, as a single guy I'm open to most opportunities!), but, because we have interesting conversations.
On a side-note, it's a little strange maybe, but, it's helped me improve my "eye-contact". I always have felt a little awkward when looking into another girl/womans eyes just because it feels intense and kind of sexual, lol. Okay, not for every woman. But, for those I felt I had potential feelings for. With guys, it's no problem because I'm so used to being with guy friends. Anyway, by looking into this girls eyes, I'm looking because I'm interested on what she is saying rather than because I have romantic feelings for her. It just feels like it's good for developing control on myself. We all have an exterior appearance and interior appereance, and, with someone we like, we often have to fake our exterior apperance to pretend we are "cool". This sort of practice feels good because I don't feel like I'll be faking anything, but, looking calm and actually feeling calm.

Also, I honestly don't mind if you think I'm speaking a load of bs. Nor anyone else reading. But, I'm not, lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending