The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

there isn't. of course some desperate deluded person will say there are like "north indians are lighter" :rofl: no. I've seen North Indians. Such as in Uttar Pradesh. Dark.
Reply 2
South Indians are darker
North Indians tend to have lighter skin and have a more muscular build than South Indians. North Indians tend to look more similar to Pakistanis (especially Sikh Punjabis) and South Indians are more similar to Sri Lankans and Maldivians. There are however many exceptions, there are plenty of dark North Indians and some light skinned South Indians too.
Original post by Sharif92
Can people usually tell a North and South Indian apart? Like, just based on looks. I always just thought Indians were brown Asian people, I never really felt there was a difference between North Indians and South Indians physically but apparently there is?

Just curious

Yeah. North Indians males tend to be sexually disliked by South Indian females/gays. South Indians have brown skin and slightly different face shapes. Conversely the typical Pakistani looks more Middle Eastern and/or Persian. Bangladeshis are basically like a mixture of North Indian and South Indians.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
there isn't. of course some desperate deluded person will say there are like "north indians are lighter" :rofl: no. I've seen North Indians. Such as in Uttar Pradesh. Dark.

Those people have tanned due to the sun. I can tell a tanned North Indian from a South Indian. I'm a Sri Lankan Tamil so I know they look different.
Original post by NickAlex12
North Indians tend to have lighter skin and have a more muscular build than South Indians. North Indians tend to look more similar to Pakistanis (especially Sikh Punjabis) and South Indians are more similar to Sri Lankans and Maldivians. There are however many exceptions, there are plenty of dark North Indians and some light skinned South Indians too.

Pakistanis look nothing like North Indians. Pakistanis look too Middle Eastern to say they are Indian. They might look similar to those on the boundary area, but that's more like saying a few Punjabis look like Pakistanis.
Reply 7
Original post by muthalganesan18
Yeah. North Indians males tend to be sexually disliked by South Indian females/gays. South Indians have brown skin and slightly different face shapes. Conversely the typical Pakistani looks more Middle Eastern and/or Persian. Bangladeshis are basically like a mixture of North Indian and South Indians.

Lol are you joking, South Indians are obsessed with North Indians and their lighter skin. Fair and lovely sales are through the roof and if you look through the matrimonial section of any newspaper in tn or Kerala you’ll see parents asking for “fair skinned groom/bride for my child” they are obsessed with wanting to look like North Indians. It’s worth noting even in South Indian movies a lot of the heroic characters look pretty much like a typical North Indian. People love the North Indian look, for both men and women. It’s the north that tends to sexually dislike South Indians.
Original post by JTharma
Lol are you joking, South Indians are obsessed with North Indians and their lighter skin. Fair and lovely sales are through the roof and if you look through the matrimonial section of any newspaper in tn or Kerala you’ll see parents asking for “fair skinned groom/bride for my child” they are obsessed with wanting to look like North Indians. It’s worth noting even in South Indian movies a lot of the heroic characters look pretty much like a typical North Indian. People love the North Indian look, for both men and women. It’s the north that tends to sexually dislike South Indians.

Yep that sounds f-ed up, it’s not even culture. Why should a whole society endorse activities promoting this skin tone robbing girls of self esteem....

Remnants of colonisation going strong even since the 1940s :frown:
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Yep that sounds f-ed up, it’s not even culture. Why should a whole society endorse activities promoting this skin tone robbing girls of self esteem....

It's just a look that millions of women like in a variety of countries ranging from pakistan to nigeria.
Across much of asia it predates colonisation by over a thousand years, my best friend tells me often it's also viewed as a sign of wealth where parents are so rich that their daughters don't have to work alongside them and can stay at home being ladies of leisure.

A lot of women in the UK and US seem to favour a bronze look accompanied by dyed blonde hair and flawless hair extensions.
Personal preference or the celebrity obsessed imitating reality tv stars.
Original post by JTharma

You're probably not Sri Lankan or South Indian then. I've yet to meet a gay or female Sri Lankan who sexually likes North Indians, even in Sri Lanka this isn't common. And even my parents don't associate light skin with Sri Lankans, most western-born don't have the concept of light skinned South Indians. The movie industry is similar to sports in western culture - aimed at men. And also, I'm talking about western-born here which I presume you are not.

Indian cinema in South India is domianted by men - the same way how sports work in Europe. But Indain cinema in South India is only really watched by older people, whereas younger people don't care about Hindi cinema or the other cinemas. Colourism in India is heavily associated with other issues as well but this is mostly dying out among younger people - I think Hollywood is also driving these issues but that's never dicussed openly on these forums for some reason; people like @JTharma are part of the problem, most western-born South Indians don't consider light skinned Indians to be South Indian... except the light skinned Indians themselves who happen to benefit from the colourism.
Reply 12
Different dialects if not languages.
Reply 13
You're probably not Sri Lankan or South Indian then. I've yet to meet a gay or female Sri Lankan who sexually likes North Indians, even in Sri Lanka this isn't common. And even my parents don't associate light skin with Sri Lankans, most western-born don't have the concept of light skinned South Indians. The movie industry is similar to sports in western culture - aimed at men. And also, I'm talking about western-born here which I presume you are not.

I am Sri Lankan (born in the UK), and I’m a straight male although I don’t see how that would change things. Sri Lankan and South Indians are obsessed with light skin, why else do you think all the Tamil supermarkets and corner shops stock Fair and Lovely and all the skin colour treatment stuff if people don’t care about it? Maybe girls are less obsessed with lighter skin on guys (probably because guys tend to have darker skin on average) but even British-born Sri Lankan guys definitely prefer lighter skin. Nothing wrong with that, just a preference, just like people prefer different personalities and different looks.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14

Well everyone has preferences. For example, Western girls tend to like tall, muscular guys, and in America and the UK people like slightly tanned Mediterranean-type skin, and in Africa, the Indian subcontinent, the Middle East, even in Korea and China people like fair skin and more Western features. It’s just a preference. In much of the Indian subcontinent guys just prefer not to marry/date girls who have very dark skin and prefer girls with lighter skin. In the past it had to do with status and other cultural things but nowadays it’s just an aesthetic thing.
Reply 15
Original post by JTharma
Well everyone has preferences. For example, Western girls tend to like tall, muscular guys, and in America and the UK people like slightly tanned Mediterranean-type skin, and in Africa, the Indian subcontinent, the Middle East, even in Korea and China people like fair skin and more Western features. It’s just a preference. In much of the Indian subcontinent guys just prefer not to marry/date girls who have very dark skin and prefer girls with lighter skin. In the past it had to do with status and other cultural things but nowadays it’s just an aesthetic thing.

I think it’s a much bigger deal for girls than guys. Sri Lankan girls, Sinhalese and Tamil, don’t really care about a guy’s skin colour that much but guys want a light skinned girl. Just like British guys want a tanned blonde girl with big boobs and butt. It’s jsut how it is. Guys are more picky than girls. I’m Sri Lankan and defo most Tamil guys want a light skinned Tamil
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by JTharma
I am Sri Lankan (born in the UK), and I’m a straight male although I don’t see how that would change things. Sri Lankan and South Indians are obsessed with light skin, why else do you think all the Tamil supermarkets and corner shops stock Fair and Lovely and all the skin colour treatment stuff if people don’t care about it? Maybe girls are less obsessed with lighter skin on guys (probably because guys tend to have darker skin on average) but even British-born Sri Lankan guys definitely prefer lighter skin. Nothing wrong with that, just a preference, just like people prefer different personalities and different looks.

How can you be so alienatd from Sri Lankans despite calling yourself Sri Lankan? Forget that; I live in a dorm and I tell North Indians directly about these issues and they are mostly understanding and accepting - some even want to help me fight the racism... but you're reacting mostly irate. I get the impression that you're a Pakistani pretending to be Sri Lankan.

I'm a British-born Sri Lankan. I'm gay and I've travelled across the world (including Australia, Italy, India) and I've spent months in Sri Lanka - I've met tons of gay men and straight men from across the world basically. Most female and gay South Indians don't watch Bollywood/Kollywood and don't fetish light skin, and in the West these South Indians sexually dislike North Indians. I've never met a gay South Indian who sexually likes North Indians.
Reply 17
How can you be so alienatd from Sri Lankans despite calling yourself Sri Lankan? Forget that; I live in a dorm and I tell North Indians directly about these issues and they are mostly understanding and accepting - some even want to help me fight the racism... but you're reacting mostly irate. I get the impression that you're a Pakistani pretending to be Sri Lankan.

I'm a British-born Sri Lankan. I'm gay and I've travelled across the world (including Australia, Italy, India) and I've spent months in Sri Lanka - I've met tons of gay men and straight men from across the world basically. Most female and gay South Indians don't watch Bollywood/Kollywood and don't fetish light skin, and in the West these South Indians sexually dislike North Indians. I've never met a gay South Indian who sexually likes North Indians.

I’m not a Pakistani lol, I don’t even know any Pakistanis. I doubt they’d waste their time pretending to be Sri Lankan on the internet when Sri Lanka and Pakistan don’t really care about each other the same way that North Indians and Pakistanis are obsessed with insulting each other. I was simply stating my experience coming from talking to other British Tamils. Maybe you hang out with a different crowd but from what I’ve seen and heard the light skin obsession, at least among straight guys, is definitely real.
Reply 18

Yeah I’m afghan and I’ve always thought Pakistanis were quite similar looking to us. But they don’t seem to feel the same way about us.
Original post by JTharma
I’m not a Pakistani lol, I don’t even know any Pakistanis. I doubt they’d waste their time pretending to be Sri Lankan on the internet when Sri Lanka and Pakistan don’t really care about each other the same way that North Indians and Pakistanis are obsessed with insulting each other. I was simply stating my experience coming from talking to other British Tamils. Maybe you hang out with a different crowd but from what I’ve seen and heard the light skin obsession, at least among straight guys, is definitely real.

Even most of the straight guys I know take up South Indian wives and girlfriends. But regardless I limited my post to LGBT and women precisely because people like you kept harping on about light skin. It's sad that you'd rather spend time fighting people of your own race rather than fighting for them - what's your natural skin colour?

Latest