The Student Room Group

Should Wales Become Independent?

Should Wales become independent?

Scroll to see replies

No because y’all would flop without other countries paying for your welfare 😌
Original post by angelinahx
No because y’all would flop without other countries paying for your welfare 😌

How much is your coffee shop job contributing to the welfare system like?
Original post by Notoriety
How much is your coffee shop job contributing to the welfare system like?

I’m... a student. I’m an A-level student in Year 13. I just turned 18 and I’m in the midst of UCAS applications. Most of my friends don’t even have jobs to begin with.

That’s why I said and emphasised countries.

Edit: What a nice classist ad hominem attack though!
I’m... a student. I’m an A-level student in Year 13. I just turned 18 and I’m in the midst of UCAS applications. Most of my friends don’t even have jobs to begin with.

That’s why I said and emphasised countries.

Edit: What a nice classist ad hominem attack though!

Aye, so you're riding on the coattails of those who actually pay proper taxes. All while berating those who ride on the coattails of those who actually pay proper taxes.
And what would they do the following week once their money had run out?
Snagging sheep does very little to boost an economy.
Original post by Notoriety
Aye, so you're riding on the coattails of those who actually pay proper taxes. All while berating those who ride on the coattails of those who actually pay proper taxes.

I do pay proper taxes though because I’m
employed and thus pay national insurance. Welfare dependents in Wales who “ride on the coattails” of EU funding and London taxpayers don’t.
I can't really say much on the matter, I can just give a valid motivation for Scotland to gain independence, that Wales doesn't have.
The motivation being that Scotland voted to stay in the EU, but are leaving anyway. Wales voted to leave. As a newly independent country, Scotland could maybe, just maybe join the EU. No guarantees.
Original post by doubleGs
I can't really say much on the matter, I can just give a valid motivation for Scotland to gain independence, that Wales doesn't have.
The motivation being that Scotland voted to stay in the EU, but are leaving anyway. Wales voted to leave. As a newly independent country, Scotland could maybe, just maybe join the EU. No guarantees.

Why wouldn’t they be able to join the EU?
Why wouldn’t they be able to join the EU?

The EU have adopted this "you've made your bed, sleep in it" attitude towards all 4 members of the UK.
Also, Scotland would need all the member nation's representatives to agree to let Scotland gain EU membership.
Reply 11
The EU have adopted this "you've made your bed, sleep in it" attitude towards all 4 members of the UK.
Also, Scotland would need all the member nation's representatives to agree to let Scotland gain EU membership.

Nonsense. Have a look at the numerous quotes from EU officials and European nation state politicians on the Scotland thread. There is plenty of good will towards Scotland and encouragement to rejoin civilisation.:tongue:
Original post by Nucky
Nonsense. Have a look at the numerous quotes from EU officials and European nation state politicians on the Scotland thread. There is plenty of good will towards Scotland and encouragement to rejoin civilisation.:tongue:

Maybe, but it's a tad absurd to think that every single representative will vote in favour of Scotland joining the EU. And that's if we become independent at all, if we have a second referendum at all.
Reply 13
Maybe, but it's a tad absurd to think that every single representative will vote in favour of Scotland joining the EU. And that's if we become independent at all, if we have a second referendum at all.

The whole ethos of the EU is to support partnership and co-operation between European nation states. Part of that is to encourage the membership of such eligible states. To object to the application of a nation whose territory had already wholey been within the union and whose legal and regulatory bodies by and large match the EU framework...would be absurd.

But its a two process. The exact nature of Scotlands relationship with the EU would also have to be decided by Scots post independence.
But we're just a relatively small part of a member state that voted to leave, from one valid perspective.
Reply 15
But we're just a relatively small part of a member state that voted to leave, from one valid perspective.

Hmmm.... in terms of population, there are 9 other EU nation states smaller than Scotland.
Oh silly me, I forgot that being bigger than small EU nations meant we couldn't possibly be small compared to the rest of the UK.
/sarcasm
Not before they've hit whatever the aquatic version of puberty is. And I'd tell her to keep an eye out for sharks that might take advantage of her.
Quick answer? Yes, because the UK is past its sell-by date. Long answer? Too many English people or people of English descent in Wales, hence why the Brexit vote went the way it did and why an independence referendum wouldn't get very far. So it's ironic, and not the least hypocritical, that the English voted leave in droves but the only time you hear them "supporting" independence for Wales or Scotland is when they're moaning over us wanting to leave.
Reply 19
Oh silly me, I forgot that being bigger than small EU nations meant we couldn't possibly be small compared to the rest of the UK.
/sarcasm

The UK is small compared with the USA. Does that mean after Brexit we continue on our merry way to being the 51st state:smile:

The UK is big compared with many smaller EU nations. However as can be seen in the recent EU negotiations, the UK had its arse handed to it by Ireland (small EU nation. population 4.7 million)...size don't matter:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest