The Student Room Group

Mum wants to kick me out, is there anything I can do?

I'm 18 years old, in full-time education doing my A-levels. I have no job and no income at all, and my Mum is trying to kick me out of the house and I have nowhere to go. What do I do in this situation?

Edit: The reason she wants to kick me out, is because I started vaping and she for some reason thinks it's 100x worse than smoking; I tried to explain to her the reason I do it was because I was either going to smoke or vape and I chose vaping because it's not as bad for you.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Is she just trying to 'scare' you into quitting? If not, she sounds like a bit of a knob.
Original post by Weelouise
Is she just trying to 'scare' you into quitting? If not, she sounds like a bit of a knob.

Don't wanna be rude about my Mum, but she is a bit of a knob in general. I'm a computing student but she turns off the internet whenever I'm trying to do work, because apparently I don't need it. Which is cool.

I doubt she's trying to scare me, she refuses to do any research. Ironically, she's actually a head-teacher.
Are you planning to go to a university. If you are then try getting an accomadation there and if not try to find a job somewhere, so at least you have some money on yourself.
Original post by Shabina Mujahid
Are you planning to go to a university. If you are then try getting an accomadation there and if not try to find a job somewhere, so at least you have some money on yourself.

I am, but that's atleast 7/8 months away before starting.
Original post by random18yearold
I'm 18 years old, in full-time education doing my A-levels. I have no job and no income at all, and my Mum is trying to kick me out of the house and I have nowhere to go. What do I do in this situation?

Edit: The reason she wants to kick me out, is because I started vaping and she for some reason thinks it's 100x worse than smoking; I tried to explain to her the reason I do it was because I was either going to smoke or vape and I chose vaping because it's not as bad for you.

Who is paying for you to vape?
Do you have any family or friends you could live with in the meantime? She doesn't sound like she's doing your A levels any good by cutting off the internet. Sorry to hear youre having a rubbish time and this time of the year especially.
Original post by Seamus123
Who is paying for you to vape?

It was my birthday a couple months ago, and my Dad (who was divorced before I was born) paid me some money as a present, so I'm running on that.
vape nash yall

You should speak to your local authorities homeleness prevention team. Also you can get benefits if you're truly estranged from your parents; but there can be an uphill battle proving this to DWP/LA.
Original post by Weelouise
Do you have any family or friends you could live with in the meantime? She doesn't sound like she's doing your A levels any good by cutting off the internet. Sorry to hear youre having a rubbish time and this time of the year especially.

I might be able to go with my Nan, but she lives about a 20 minute drive away from my school.. so I would have to leave to walk very early.
It was my birthday a couple months ago, and my Dad (who was divorced before I was born) paid me some money as a present, so I'm running on that.

Are there other problems apart from the vaping, or a build-up of issues over a period of time?
Are there other problems apart from the vaping, or a build-up of issues over a period of time?

Generally speaking, no. I will admit we do argue and I shout at her from time to time, but it's over her turning off the internet when I need it to do actual work.
I might be able to go with my Nan, but she lives about a 20 minute drive away from my school.. so I would have to leave to walk very early.

That might solve your immediate problem, then. Do you get along with your Nan?
That might solve your immediate problem, then. Do you get along with your Nan?

Very well. She often takes my side, because she understands where I'm coming from.

your situation sounds really *****y and sucks, but if i was in your place i would try do any of these things -
find my dad try get help/income
stop vaping because no choice really
sit down and speak logically with your mum if she turns off the internet etc
go library to do work and dont spend time with her ( sounds harsh but may make her feel guility )
apply to all 5 outside of london uni so you stay at that accomadation when student loan drops
Is there any reason you can't stop vaping? To me, it sounds like you took up vaping having never been a smoker, and that's not what the devices are for. They're supposed to help you cut back on smoking, rather than be a new habit entirely. Yes, they are less harmful than cigarettes, but that's not to say they're completely harmless, so to me it seems ridiculous to actually choose to take vaping up out of nowhere. I can see why your mum is a bit concerned. She's your mum; it's her job.
Generally speaking, no. I will admit we do argue and I shout at her from time to time, but it's over her turning off the internet when I need it to do actual work.

Could you get a dongle for the Internet for when she turns it off?
Could you get a dongle for the Internet for when she turns it off?

I suppose I could? Got any recommendations?
Just stop vaping? Why are you willing to become homeless over it? You've only just started so it's not like you're horribly addicted.
Kick her back

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending