The Student Room Group

Distance learning Mathematical journey with the OU

Scroll to see replies

9 November

Soldiering on while balancing, in no particular order, work, photography, literature/reading, household chores, life in general and maths

Updated my definitions document and watched a tutorial re unit 2, took some notes, finished a set of exercises and organized my desk, which was starting to look like a warzone and getting on my nerves. An organized and tidy space is always relaxing, actually, I find that cleaning/tidying up/decluttering/ironing are quiet relaxing activities... compared to maths anyway :colondollar:

Fractions are currently the bane of my existence , I don't know why I find them so hard to solve, but I'll get there, hopefully before the exam next June :redface:

10 November

Today I'm going to start work around at 14:00. I have some errands to run this morning. If all goes according to plan :rolleyes: I will carry on reviewing Unit 2, probably two or 3 sections on graphs, gradients and intercepts, simultaneous equations and, if I still have a brain left, quadratics. If by then I'm not in a coma, I will fiddle a bit with Maxima. That will take me a few good hours, since I'm so slow... so I'll probably finish this on Sunday

I have broken everything down to manageable chunks, so it doesn't look as daunting as it really is

It might not sound like it, but I do like this course :colondollar:

Got this!

Other random stuff

This and this

I'm keeping a list of the music I link, so I don't post the same song twice

I honestly didn't expect I would be updating this blog regularly

Taking cat to the vet in 30 minutes... I'm dreading it, the last time she was there she went mental and didn't recognize me until she calmed down

Got to pick up some books from the post office, maths books from the OU, so not overly excited but I did get a book with critical essays on King Lear yesterday :biggrin:

Cleaning and groceries after vet and post office, well, maybe some ironing, but I think I'll do that first thing tomorrow so it's all done by 6am. Then I can go out and take some pictures, be back home by 10:00 and just potter around and read for a bit, before it's time for maths

Have a good day
11 November

Not much to say, made some good progress yesterday and will probably finish revising unit 2 this afternoon, which means that tomorrow I'll start with unit 3, Functions. I think I'm going to take tomorrow off from studying, or if I do anything I'll just see what I need for this unit, make some preliminary notes, print the exercise workbook for the unit, update the definitions document and answer a couple of questions for the iCMA... right, so I will be studying :rolleyes:

I didn't have time for Maxima yesterday, so I'll try doing that tomorrow morning before work

I've also downloaded some past exam papers, just to get a better idea of what to expect. They already sent me one with the course materials but the more the better. I'll start practising in May, if I'm still doing the course :colondollar:

I've got this

Other random stuff

This and this and then some of this, the last one is a fado, so you might weep listening to it... not that I do... :redface:

I survived taking the cat to the vet, she didn't stop growling and hissing but we made it without any scratches...

Got some pictures of the cathedral's ceiling, arches and columns, so I'll see if I can use them for this week's assignment. I'll probably go back next Saturday and take some more using what I've learnt so far

Have a good day and sorry for any typos
12 - 16 November

Not much to report, unit 3 is a beast. I divide my study in two: 30 minutes for algebra and 2 hours for the unit I'm studying. I'm finding algebra is getting easier to do, so happy to see some progress at last :u:

Assignment 1 results

Well, I obviously failed because I didn't finish answering all of the questions, I think I answered around a third? Not sure. Anyway, got 36% and you need 40% to pass. I know I failed but I'm still quite pleased because my tutor said I had a good grasp of algebra, I just need to keep on top of things. I've already started the second computer assignment due on 13 December, so that's good

17 November

Today: algebra, unit 3 (functions), take notes, organize notes, consolidate what I've learnt so far and not lose my mind

It sounds boring but I'm enjoying it, even when I feel frustrated and get stuck, which happens quite often :colondollar:

Randomness

This and this

Have a good day
18 November

My ED has been getting worse lately and today has not been a good day. I have been dozing off and cuddling with Terminator under a blanket, trying to read Mythos (Stephen Fry). He has an enganging style and he seems to cover a lot of information just very superficially. I guess it's fine as an introduction but he is no Robert Graves (and I suppose it was not his intention anyway). So SF for a light entertaining introduction to the Greek myths, and RG if you are looking for a comprehensive edition

Anyway, no maths today, too tired to think

I don't know if I've got this, maybe when my mood improves...

Other random stuff

This (Gymnopédie 1 starts at 14:48)

Have a good day
19 November

No maths, just reading Mythos and listening to Erik Satie

20 November

I opened the book to study unit 3... that's how far I got... at least I opened it. I have a tutorial this Thursday, maybe I will feel better by then but right now looking at all these numbers, letters and formulas is making me cringe

Random things

This

So, as I've failed so badly at studying maths, I'm going to write down some of the books I'm planning to read:

Mythos (currently reading)
Heroes (Stephen Fry)
The rape of Nanking (Iris Chang)
October (China Miéville)
Kraken (China Miéville)
American gods (Neil Gaiman)
Good omens (Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman)
The universe in your hand (Christophe Galfard)

Maybe I'll end up writing reviews and recommending books in this blog :redface:

Good night
21 November

Right, I have a plan. I have a load of work to do and need to catch up pronto, so just been skimming through book 1 (covers first 3 units) and going through my notes. My memory and focus are rubbish, so it's a question of going over things over and over again until they stick

Tomorrow there is a tutorial. It's like being in class but without seeing or having to talk to anyone (thank the powers that be), they also record them so if I miss something I can always go back later. This one covers unit 3, Functions. I'll try to review enough material to understand what the tutor is talking about

I've realised that there are still some things I don't understand from unit 2, so I'm going to review those sections tonight + 30 minutes algebra and get on with the exercise booklets (3 booklets...) and 2 or 3 more questions from iCMA 2, but they are so long, and I realized earlier that to answer some questions I have to do draw the graph... basically, I need to think :colondollar:

So, yes, I've got this, or I have until the next slump :redface:

Randomness

This, because he is as cool as a cucumber and this, because he is the king of cool

It's a cold and sunny day

Terminator wants to cuddle every evening, let's see how that works out tonight while I try to solve equations and stuff

I feel calm today, hopefully it will last

My fingers are better so I'm going to try practising the ukulele

I name my instruments, my piano is called Lola and my ukulele is called Titus

If I have time, I'll try finishing Mythos this week, and start with Heroes

Getting a new ring soon :colone:

It's going to be a good day

Have a great amazing productive (ugh) day :biggrin:
22 November

Had the tutorial for unit 3. It's made me question everything... E-VE-RY-THING :s-smilie: This was one of the general online tutorials, and it's not limited to a number of students so everyone can attend. Also, you don't have to participate if you don't want to, so I just listen, take notes and read the comments/questions that students make. The other type of tutorials are for smaller groups although they are not tutor specific, i.e. you can sign up to a tutorial even if it's not run by your tutor

Functions... well, not much I can say about them but if I thought fractions were the bane of my existance, functions will be the end of me... but I'll manage, just taking my own sweet time to understand things :colondollar: And why does the world need different types of functions, why not have one for everything? There's linear, constant, quadratic, polynomial, modulus, reciprocal, rational, etc... why?

I forgot to take notes during the tutorial, but I can watch it again so that's ok

23 November

Algebra practice questions, skimmed through my notes because I still have problems remembering how to do things, worked on another iCMA42 question and drew some graphs, do you draw or do you plot graphs? :confused: Kept it light today because by the end of the week I'm dead on my feet

24 November

This afternoon I'm going to continue with the online quiz (aka iCMA42). I have to check the deadline for submitting it, I think it's due on 11 December, not the 13. Then more algebra exercises and carry on with unit 3. I think I've finally got graphs, at least enough to get by. I find that moving from one thing to another works for me, because when I hit a roadblock it helps me realise that I haven't understood something as well as I thought. I'll also watch Thursday's tutorial and take some notes

Anyway, onwards and upwards, although I feel like Sysiphus and maths is my personal boulder :frown:

Ah well, it is what it is but I have this

Random things

This because it helps me focus, and this because it is beautiful

If I could eat, I would eat Chinese food now... will probably eat a salad

Enjoying Mythos, will finish it this weekend

The list of books that I want to read is growing exponentially, so many good books :biggrin:

Swimming this week has been amazing

I'm happy and feel calm... I hope it lasts :smile:

Have a good day
25 November

Going over what I've done so far in unit 3 with some live studying... ahem

Sets, subsets and the euro symbol :colondollar:

Section 1.1 Sets of real numbers

A set is a collection of objects, a gathering of odds and evens, a council of numbers, a fellowship of figures. An object is called element or member that belong to a set. Ok, I've got this part, and just skimming through some more definitions and notation... moving on to Venn diagrams... and moving forward...

How is this useful? "(...) a particular number lies in, or doesn't lie in, a particular interval or union of intervals" I'm going to read that again. Ok, so they either belong to a group or they don't... because there is a gap in the line, it skips a number...

1.2 What is a function?

This I understand, a function is when a quantity depends on another quantity, the first one is the function of the second one. Now it's starting to get tricky with domains, codomains and the rule of the function... so I'm leaving this post here because I need to focus on this properly and stop fooling around

In a parallel universe I'm sure I've got this, this one? Not so much :wink:

Random things

This, it starts at 0:29, and 9 minutes of magic here, go to 4:50 if you want to know what bliss sounds like

Ordered new ring :biggrin:

I miss writing essays... I think I'm going to rewrite some of my favourite ones

Getting some new books delivered next week... one is The Man in the High Castle, by Philip K. D i c k, he wrote Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? The film Blade Runner is based on it, Rutger Hauer at 2:55 never gets old... Harrison Ford's voice reminds me of Homer Simpson :colondollar:

Back to studying now

Have a good afternoon
(edited 5 years ago)
Not sure where to start, it has been a difficult week, the material is getting harder, obviously, and I'm taking longer to understand things, plus I keep forgetting things that I've already done, so I have to spend extra time on them. Next time I want something challenging, I will try paragliding… but I'm stubborn and I'm going to finish this

26 to 28 November

Algebra, algebra, algebra, from the Arabic word al-yâbr

So went back to unit 2 to revise quadratics and then back to unit 3. I guess functions are not that terrible… ha ha ha

Answered another question from the quiz. I won't know if I got the answers right until I submit it, I'm aiming for a 40%, anything above that will be a plus

29 November

Managed to attend half the tutorial on trigonometry (unit 4), it was quite awful, the subject, not the tutor. I only skimmed through the unit before it started because I'm like two weeks behind and didn't have time to look at it properly. I'll listen to the recording later when I can understand some of it. Then it was back to unit 3, which I hope to finish by 2050 :colondollar:

30 November

Nothing. I'm taking the evening off

Random things

This

Going to buy some jumpers tomorrow and some long woolen socks, it's getting too cold

I've eaten the same exact salad five days in a row

Losing weight, not happy, but it is what it is

Casablanca is one of my favourite movies
1 December

There was maths, and there were tears, and an Oxford comma

Studying maths is like two steps forward, 1000 steps back. Why am I even doing this?

I haven't got this and I hate functions :mad:

Other (musical) random stuff

Music to soothe the soul or feel better

This
and this
and this
and this
and this
and this
and this
and this
and last but not least, this

Good night
2 December

No maths today. The last 2 months have been pretty intense and I need a break from maths, so I'm taking a few days off to recharge my batteries, and probably will post music links and book recommendations/short reviews for the next 3 or 4 days, but nothing maths related

Other random stuff

This
and this
and this
and this
and this
and this

Christmas is coming... ugh

Good night
3 December

Nothing :smile:

4 December

My ED has spiralled out of control and I decided to send an email to student support to see if I could defer the module to the February presentation. They've explained what I need to do, but have also been advised to talk to my tutor before deciding anything . I haven't spoken to them yet, but I'm going to continue with this presentation... thank you ED and MH for making my life that more difficult.. guess it's onwards and upwards or most probably downwards :colondollar: The good news is that when I get my 40%, and I will, it won't count towards my degree. I'm an eternal optimist so let me repeat this: MY DEGREE

Probably haven't got this and I need a plan

Other random stuff

This because it's uplifting, it's a love song (I think) but I'd rather pretend it's about real angels, like the Powers, who are warrior angels, and not all these lovely dovey putti and cupids that are just too sugary to stomach, not that I believe in angels and stuff like that, but if the four horsemen of the apocalypse decide to roam the earth (apparently they are but not as horsemen) and evil demons were unleashed, well, let's say that I'd want the Powers on my side...

This

Have a good day
5 December

Skimming through books, in case osmosis is a real thing :colondollar:

6 December

Draft email to tutor re catching up

Send reply to student support and update my MH records

Get on with unit 3 and prepare materials for unit 4 (Trigonometry). I'm going to take notes for this unit while doing unit 3, not sure if that's wise but I'm just trying to figure out what works and what doesn't

Survive

No, I haven't got this, but I'm trying

Randomness

This by Love of Lesbian, lyrics below to sing along like nobody is listening :groovy:

Sólo cuando no me ves si no me ves,
encuentro el valor de mirarte
sin el pánico que aún siento
a tu inconsciente coacción.

Ahora que no me ves,
admitiré,
que un deseo malvado
en un sueño se burlaba
de mi torre de control.

Y era sucio y era pecado,
no puedo asimilar que era yo ...
y era yo.

Ya está, de una vez lo he dicho,
que igual, no siempre da lo mismo.

llovías sobre mojado,
debajo de tu nube era yo ...
y era yo.

Ya está, de una vez lo he dicho,
que igual, no siempre da lo mismo.

Cualquiera que me viera en mis negras horas,
reptando por tu piel cuando es pared
se creería que mi vicio es lamer tus sombras,
pero sólo lo hago cuando no me ves.

Por mucho que me esfuerce a todas horas,
el deseo salta muros al revés.

Ahora te pido que me odies de memoria,
como un himno de los que saben perder.

Negaré ante el mundo lo siguiente:
que si de algo voy sobrado
es de falta de autoestima
y que por eso te lo canto
sin tener que usar "te quiero"
a través de una metáfora,
ese ánfora que uso para resguardar mis miedos.

A que un día las comprendas,
situación inaceptable.

Puede ser que esté viciado a que te cueste descifrarme,
si entendieras la ironía
de querer estar a solas
y cuando al fin tiempo consigo
me pregunto por qué huyo,
pero sólo decirlo
cuando no me ves.

Por mucho que me esfuerce a todas horas,
el deseo salta muros al revés.

Ahora te pido que me odies de memoria,
como un himno de los que saben perder.

El día que el presente ya sea historia
y las aguas se nos calmen de una vez,
entenderás en mis silencios tantas cosas,
las que ahora escribo cuando no me ves.

Have a good day
(edited 5 years ago)
7 and 8 December

Writing emails to student support, still not sure what I'm going to do. Also finished updating MH records from slightly affecting my studies to path of self-destruction and self-sabotage bc my ****ing ED won't leave me the **** alone... sorry for the swearing bits :colondollar:

I've officially lost the plot, I don't know what I'm doing anymore, and no, I haven't got this, not even remotely, **** functions, trigonometry and challenges

Random

This

Right, need to calm down and stay positive... mental breakdowns are not the end of the world, nope, they are not, unless you randomly burst into tears in the middle of the street... I blame Xmas :colonhash:

Good night and goodbye
9 11 December

Nothing

This ends now

12 December

So, moving forward

Still working on unit 3. Taking notes for unit 4, which has 5 sections and 85 pages of this

1 Right-angled triangles

2 Trigonometric functions

3 Sine and cosine rules

4 Further trigonometric identities

5 Using the computer for trigonometry

There are not enough crying smiley faces to show how I feel right now :bawling:

Going to review the MU123 chapter on trigonometry too, and will be doing exercises from the Schaum's outlines series, which are thankfully available through the OU online library. I've downloaded the Algebra one, which has an introduction on Trigonometry, and enough exercises to last me a lifetime

I haven't got this, but there is a two-week Xmas break and hopefully I'll be able to catch up a bit

Other random stuff

This and this

Started Kraken by China Miéville, not sure about it. I liked his book October

I follow a 50/100 page rule depending on the length of the book I'm reading, if after 50/100 pages it hasn’t' won me over I don't waste my time with it… I'm looking at you Kraken

I think it was Frank Zappa who said "So many books, so little time"… hence the 50/100 page rule

Waiting for a copy of Atonement by Ian McEwan

I like crawl and breaststroke… not so keen on backstroke, it's taken me over a minute to spell breaststroke correctly…

Just voted in the TSR general elections... after reading the manifestos, so creative :mmm:

Good night
12 - 13 December

Started iCMA03 - I'm going to do this one, I'm going to finish it and I'm going to submit it, and with some luck it will make up for the iCMA02 fiasco. Also have TMA02 to work on... at least they are due in January or February, need to check the calendar and write the dates down somewhere where I can see them

14 December

Had a breakthrough with trigonometry. So happy :biggrin: After what felt like hours (and probably were :colondollar: ) I finally understood radians, which might not seem like much, but for someone who was struggling to understand fractions 2 months ago, it is one hell of an achievement, if I do say so myself :u:

15 December

Mainly functions today, taking and filing notes, a bit of algebra, a bit of trigonometry (need to print the coursework) and some online quizzes

I'm trying to enjoy this and not get all flustered and overwhelmed again :colondollar: It's not worth the added stress and anxiety it has caused me

Other random stuff

Only need this today, but if you need something more lively then this

Swimming was good this week, improved speed

Read a couple of pages of Atonement :colone: but want to finish Kraken first...

It's cold, cat's sleeping under her blanket and wants nothing to do with the world

Going to make a cup of tea now and chat with a friend

Good night
Love your GYG your days are so detailed and love how you say what music you're listening to :smile:
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
Love your GYG your days are so detailed and love how you say what music you're listening to :smile:

Awww, thank you so much for posting this, really glad you enjoy it and I hope you found some good music here :smile:

Just seen you have one too, will be visiting soon :wink:
16 December

Ay ay ay, iCMA43 :argh:

Ay ay ay, TMA02 - I'm not good with questions where I need to find information and then figure out what formulae I need to use, doesn't help that the cat decided to sit on my papers, I thought we had reached an agreement, apparently not

So, basically, just trying to get on with the assignments

17 - 18 December

Reviewing the MU123 trig unit while studying the MST124 one. MU123 doesn't expect you to know anything, so it's easier to follow and understand concepts :colondollar: and I need all the help I can get with sine, cosine and tangent... the names of the three witches in Macbeth

Tomorrow I've got a tutorial but I can't remember what it's about. As it's probably on something I still haven't looked at, I think I'm going to listen to the recording when I start that unit... I'm going to check "live" and see what it's about. Ok, it's unit 5 - Coordinate Geometry, I don't know what that is

What about functions? What? What's that? Am I doing functions in this course? Yes, I am :lolwut:

I know I haven't got this, c'est la vie I guess

Other random stuff

This and then this

Cat threw up, so got up around 4:15 am to clean... didn't bother to go back to bed because that's when I get up anyway... might have to give CBD another try :s-smilie:

I like kettlebells

Happy to say I'm enjoying Kraken

Good night
Original post by Dulce_et _utile
Awww, thank you so much for posting this, really glad you enjoy it and I hope you found some good music here :smile:

Just seen you have one too, will be visiting soon :wink:

You're welcome and thanks chick xx

Quick Reply