The Student Room Group
Original post by George421
Should I do IT level 3 extended diploma?
Im thinking of doing this instead of just A-Level computer science. Where will IT get me in uni or in general, jobs?

The extended diploma is equivalent to 3 A levels and takes 2 years.

Most computer science courses would see computer science A level as the harder subject and more relevant to a career in computing.
If you are ant good at Maths that would be handy as well. maths A level is sufficient to get you onto most CS courses but BTEC IT may not be.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger

Most computer science courses would see computer science A level as the harder subject and more relevant to a career in computing.

Not overly true, the content massively overlaps between BTEC IT/Computing and A level Computing/CS. I doubt you'll find many unis who accept A level Computing/CS but don't accept BTEC IT/Computing, where A level Maths isnt taken in either case.

If you are ant good at Maths that would be handy as well. maths A level is sufficient to get you onto most CS courses but BTEC IT may not be.

Mainly just 15 or so universities which require Maths at A level.

There are still many excellent universities that don't require A level Maths. E.g. Surrey (CIT), Leeds, Bath, Royal Holloway, UEA, Loughborough (C&M), Nottingham, Newcastle, Sussex, Warwick (Cyber), Queen Mary, Essex, Liverpool etc. But some may ask for specific modules to be taken on the BTEC, which makes sense.
Reply 3
Im thinking of being a software developer/engineer when im older or a job similair to them, im thinking of doing level 3 extended diploma IT and then for uni do computer science. Or should i go to a sixth form and do 3 a levels including computer science? Im also average at maths so im definitely not doing it for a-level. Any suggestions?
Original post by yt7777
Not overly true, the content massively overlaps between BTEC IT/Computing and A level Computing/CS. I doubt you'll find many unis who accept A level Computing/CS but don't accept BTEC IT/Computing, where A level Maths isnt taken in either case.

Mainly just 15 or so universities which require Maths at A level.

There are still many excellent universities that don't require A level Maths. E.g. Surrey (CIT), Leeds, Bath, Royal Holloway, UEA, Loughborough (C&M), Nottingham, Newcastle, Sussex, Warwick (Cyber), Queen Mary, Essex, Liverpool etc. But some may ask for specific modules to be taken on the BTEC, which makes sense.

1. From the times ive looked there is a clear distinction between someone with IT and someone with CS.
2. It doesnt help the OP if he wants to get into one of the beter unis and they require Maths.
Im thinking of being a software developer/engineer when im older or a job similair to them, im thinking of doing level 3 extended diploma IT and then for uni do computer science. Or should i go to a sixth form and do 3 a levels including computer science? Im also average at maths so im definitely not doing it for a-level. Any suggestions?

Just check the entrance requirements of the unis and courses you are interested in to make sure your qualification is accepted without issue by your targets. Easy as that. This is part of the reason for doing researcgh and carefully narrowing down a uni shortlisy that meets your criteria and you cna meet theirs.

If you need any help with your research then ask YT7777.
Reply 6
1. From the times ive looked there is a clear distinction between someone with IT and someone with CS.
2. It doesnt help the OP if he wants to get into one of the beter unis and they require Maths.

1. Yes, IT and CS are different and I'm not disputing that, but at level 3, in A level CS the topics are very similar to, and are essentially covered by technical modules in the IT BTEC.

Not in terms of entry requirements there is no difference, no uni will require CS A level because it isn't as widely offered as something like Maths. However, the unis that accept BTEC will usually require either IT (2010 spec), Computing (2016 spec) or Engineering BTECs depending on the uni.

Where does the "clear distinction" come from? The only subject that can affect what unis you can get in to is A level Maths. The difference between A level CS and BTEC IT/Computing in terms of what unis you can apply to is non-existent.

2. I agree, however it only opens up more opportunities in terms of unis if the OP is good enough at maths to aim for A*-B but more likely A*/A as most will require an A for the unis that actually require A level Maths. And if the OP is this good at maths then surely they would have already decided that they would be taking it for A level.
Should I do IT level 3 extended diploma?
Im thinking of doing this instead of just A-Level computer science. Where will IT get me in uni or in general, jobs?

of course it will , my mate has done a BTEC IT and now he is doing criminolgy at uni
but some uni will require a certain course completion for example some uni wont accept your btec some will just do ur research

Latest