The Student Room Group

Arranged Marriages.

for several backgrounds, especially in the east, arranged marriage is the norm.

what’s your opinion on arranged marriage?

how does it relate to gender issues (in terms of equality, sexuality etc)?

is it moral, in any context?

Scroll to see replies

Do you really expect anyone here to agree with it?
Original post by ItsTomii
Do you really expect anyone here to agree with it?

not exactly agree. to discuss its impacts and establish opinion...
really interesting video :
[video="youtube;0SwrXYJE6xw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SwrXYJE6xw[/video]
Original post by solitaireegg
for several backgrounds, especially in the east, arranged marriage is the norm.

what’s your opinion on arranged marriage?

how does it relate to gender issues (in terms of equality, sexuality etc)?

is it moral, in any context?

tradition does not justify why something should be allowed to happen.

its different, if the couple seeks approval of their own partner, but arranged marriages are so often loveless and not in the favour of any involved, never mind the incestuous practices of many cultures now.....

not a practice to be encouraged at all
not exactly agree. to discuss its impacts and establish opinion...

i identify as a conservative, but feminism has a lot work to do here in tackling cultural perceptions of relationships and arranged marriages - not matter their faith or culture....

[video="youtube;DKAusMNTNnk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKAusMNTNnk[/video]
Reply 6
What's arranged marriage? I know what it is, but I wana know what you think it is.
Original post by Pinkisk
What's arranged marriage? I know what it is, but I wana know what you think it is.

Wiki : type of marital union where the bride and groom are selected by individuals other than the couple themselves, particularly by family members, such as the parents. Depending on culture, a professional matchmaker may be used
Original post by Pinkisk

i guess when people (usually within a family or two) arrange a marriage whether its against the two recipients’ will or not
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
i identify as a conservative, but feminism has a lot work to do here in tackling cultural perceptions of relationships and arranged marriages - not matter their faith or culture....

[video="youtube;DKAusMNTNnk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKAusMNTNnk[/video]

this video is evidence that in many places, feminism is a genuine force for good
i guess when people (usually within a family or two) arrange a marriage whether its against the two recipients’ will or not

Actually that is a misconception that is partly born out of racism and prejudice towards other cultures and their practices. Arranged marriages involve a matchmaker, matching two people together. The two people meet eachother. They then decide whether or not they are matched. Its something that is popular in the orthodox jewish community. Much of the stereotypes surrounding these types of marriages are promulgated by people foreign to the culture itself. People watching from the outside in. People that are very ignorant. People that think white is right. That the only right way of getting married is the white, christian way of getting married. Almost everything negative that you hear about arranged marriages are exaggerations and fabrications very distant from its reality. Here's a nice documentary of how arranged marriages typically work. They are very normal. Its from a documentary I recently watched about Iran. :smile:

(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Pinkisk
Actually that is a misconception that is partly born out of racism and prejudice towards other cultures and their practices. Arranged marriages involve a matchmaker, matching two people together. The two people meet eachother. They then decide whether or not they are matched. Its something that is popular in the orthodox jewish community. Much of the stereotypes surrounding these types of marriages are promulgated by people foreign to the culture itself. People watching from the outside in. People that are very ignorant. People that think white is right. That the only right way of getting married is the white, christian way of getting married. Almost everything negative that you hear about arranged marriages are exaggerations and fabrications very distant from its reality. Here's a nice documentary of how arranged marriages typically work. They are very normal. Its from a documentary I recently watched about Iran. :smile:

"a nice documentary about Iran" - it is born neither of prejudice or ignorance, those who partake in tying people to a union refute everything with the word 'tradition' - arranged marriage is not something to be condoned, especially without pullling the race card.

a radical idea: forcing people to wed, with parents holding sway over their lives and happiness should not be perpetuated in any society

noone here is talking about the white christian way of marriage you refer to, only to the radical idea of consent among the most important parties
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
"a nice documentary about Iran" - it is born neither of prejudice or ignorance, those who partake in tying people to a union refute everything with the word 'tradition' - arranged marriage is not something to be condoned, especially without pullling the race card.

a radical idea: forcing people to wed, with parents holding sway over their lives and happiness should not be perpetuated in any society

noone here is talking about the white christian way of marriage you refer to, only to the radical idea of consent among the most important parties

I love the ending of the documentary!!! Its nice I thought :smile:
Original post by Pinkisk
I love the ending of the documentary!!! Its really nice I thought :smile:

thanks - its just the many victims of arranged marriage and robbed educations, lives, and happiness
Original post by Pinkisk

I have nothing against arranged marriage of two consenting adults who have not be coerced in any way. I am against force marrage like any moral human being.
Reply 15
People need to learn the difference between arranged and forced marriages.

An arranged marriage is fine and moral as it has the consent of both parties. In forced marriages there is no consent. Simple.
Original post by h333
People need to learn the difference between arranged and forced marriages.

An arranged marriage is fine and moral as it has the consent of both parties. In forced marriages there is no consent. Simple.

The categories of arranged and forced marriages are not mutually exclusive. Arranged marriages are when parents decide who they want their children to marry, who MAY consent.

Leave behind arguments focussing on societal progress and children deciding for themselves - there is naïveity in how you say arranged marriages have consent, blinded by the one word ‘tradition’ which people use to justify many immoral actions.

Regardless of peoples wish to defend their culture or religion, these practices are outdated, and have no place in a modern society
true true
“just like a dating site” lol
Yep,
Arranged marriages in my opinion are not wrong. It's the parents choosing someone but then discussing it with their child, for example some children may be fine with their parents finding them someone because they may trust that their parents know what's best. And it's BOTH sides agreeing and being happy with the decision. There's no pressure on them to have to agreed it's entirely their choice:smile:

Forced marriage however is on a TOTALLY different scale.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending