The Student Room Group

Self-Teach A Geography Topic

I very likely won't actually do this, but I'm just wondering if anyone actually did this and how they did in the exam.

The topic that my school teaches is Coastal Systems, which I did at GCSE and hated. It was the topic I always got the lowest marks in and I would rather not do it again.

Would it be possible to self-teach the Glacial Systems topic? I have the textbook and will also have the resources that are available online.

Is this actually possible to do this in the exam? Basically, do the teachers tell the exam board which topics we are taught which would prevent me doing other topics?

Would learning both coasts and glacial systems give me more of a choice in the exam in case there are questions which I wouldn't know how to answer?
If you have any answers to these questions, please reply to help me!

I am in Year 12 so would have over a year to teach myself this one topic, which should help!
Reply 2
Not to be rude - but what's the point?
Original post by damnit1
Not to be rude - but what's the point?

You're more likely to do well in a topic if you actually like it. I absolutely hate the coast topic and would rather teach myself something so at least I have a choice in the exam about what to do.
Reply 4
Original post by Goldfish4343
You're more likely to do well in a topic if you actually like it. I absolutely hate the coast topic and would rather teach myself something so at least I have a choice in the exam about what to do.

Oh right. I presume you're doing Geography. And yes I completely agree! May I ask what was your Exam Board for GCSE?
Original post by damnit1
Oh right. I presume you're doing Geography. And yes I completely agree! May I ask what was your Exam Board for GCSE?

Yep, in Year 12 at the moment! Did AQA for GCSE and am using the same for A Level.
Reply 6
Yep, in Year 12 at the moment! Did AQA for GCSE and am using the same for A Level.

Well I don't know how it works but I'd ask your teacher what Units/Themes you are doing as I presume some will be optional. If they don't have an answer I'd try and revise other units and come back to it later. I'm guessing this is what you were asking
Original post by damnit1
Well I don't know how it works but I'd ask your teacher what Units/Themes you are doing as I presume some will be optional. If they don't have an answer I'd try and revise other units and come back to it later. I'm guessing this is what you were asking

I already know that we will be taught Coasts in class out of the optional topics of coasts, deserts, and glaciers. I might as well self teach glacial systems. No harm in trying I guess.
Reply 8
I already know that we will be taught Coasts in class out of the optional topics of coasts, deserts, and glaciers. I might as well self teach glacial systems. No harm in trying I guess.

If there is a definite chance then go for it, but if it is a possibility I'd leave it until last. Although if it could help your knowledge in other units I think you should
Original post by damnit1
If there is a definite chance then go for it, but if it is a possibility I'd leave it until last. Although if it could help your knowledge in other units I think you should

The case studies will definitely help with the human topic of population and the environment so there is still some overlap with what I currently do.
Does anyone else have any advice?
Does anyone else have any advice?

Hey, I’m not sure if this is possible. I was the first year to do the new geography A level. I remember one time, a classmate asked my teacher if it was possible to do another topic. The teacher replied by saying that the school sends which topics we are studying in school to AQA. Hope this helps, but I would double check with your own school/teachers.
Original post by vanboaitey
Hey, I’m not sure if this is possible. I was the first year to do the new geography A level. I remember one time, a classmate asked my teacher if it was possible to do another topic. The teacher replied by saying that the school sends which topics we are studying in school to AQA. Hope this helps, but I would double check with your own school/teachers.

Thank you and will do!

Can anyone else say if this is what happens or not?

Quick Reply

Latest