The Student Room Group

Blood In stool

it wasn't a small amount either.... I am only 13 and have been stupidly googling it and now I am convinced I have cancer. Do I need to go to A&E or book a doctor's appointment. my stomach also keeps rumbling help please I am shaking

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
it wasn't a small amount either.... I am only 13 and have been stupidly googling it and now I am convinced I have cancer. Do I need to go to A&E or book a doctor's appointment. my stomach also keeps rumbling help please I am shaking

You should probably go to a GP to be on the safe side.
See your GP!
If it’s concerning you at the moment - You can call 111 to get non urgent but instant medical advice. They can help you decide what needs to be done.
Reply 4
So, probably not cancer because you're 13, but definitely worth seeing a doctor about. My (uneducated) guess is that there's some internal bleeding going on. Did you get beaten up or something?
Tell a parent and have them take you to A&E in the morning.
Reply 6
Original post by Sinnoh
So, probably not cancer because you're 13, but definitely worth seeing a doctor about. My (uneducated) guess is that there's some internal bleeding going on. Did you get beaten up or something?

no i didn't
is you stool quite large
Reply 8
Original post by Qwertyuser123
is you stool quite large

I suppose so yea
many things can cause blood in your stool
Original post by NotNotBatman
Tell a parent and have them take you to A&E in the morning.

This is rather strange advice. It’s either an emergency or it’s not. A&E isn’t an alternative to your GP.
You probably ate something that's cut you on the way out, the stomach rumbling will be unrelated.

Hope you're getting it sorted anyway.
definitely book a doctors appointment but ur unlikely to have cancer cuz ur so young
Reply 13
Go to your GP. It's probably nothing, but it's better to have it checked.
Original post by Etomidate
This is rather strange advice. It’s either an emergency or it’s not. A&E isn’t an alternative to your GP.

No it isn't; the same thing happened to me; this is what I did ten years ago and I was diagnosed with a chronic disease. I was repeatedly told by the doctors that it was good that I came to the emergency department. It's recommended on the NHS website to go to A&E if there is a lot of blood.
Original post by NotNotBatman
No it isn't; the same thing happened to me; this is what I did ten years ago and I was diagnosed with a chronic disease. I was repeatedly told by the doctors that it was good that I came to the emergency department. It's recommended on the NHS website to go to A&E if there is a lot of blood.

My point is if you can defer going to accident and emergency overnight, then it's clearly not an emergency. What you are suggesting is to use A&E as a convenient drop-in resource rather than more appropriately booking a GP appointment.

The vast majority of bleeding like this does not need to be seen in A&E. The exceptions being if its profuse and not stopping and/or associated with being generally unwell. This is reflected in NHS advice online.
remember that A&E will be very busy with drunk people etc over Christmas so if you are thinking of going it would be better in the next day or so.
I'm honestly scared to tell my mum because it's embarrassing af.. how do I tell her
I'm honestly scared to tell my mum because it's embarrassing af.. how do I tell her

um, you could show her? No need to be embarrassed, your mum will understand.
Original post by Obolinda
um, you could show her? No need to be embarrassed, your mum will understand.

I am actually scared to go for one again as it might happen again. if it was just a one off do you think I should let it go

Quick Reply

Latest