The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is it illegal to acknowledge a trans M2F as a man instead of a woman?

Would this act be a punishable offence under current legislation that could result in a custodial sentence?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I fully accept Gender Dysphoria as a mental illness as categorised by the DSM-5, and I think it is appalling to discriminate against people who have this mental illness in regards to jobs and other things as it is a passive mental illness that does not affect judgement.

But surely its a pure opinion on whether they are the gender they identify as?
(edited 5 years ago)
No but it should be.
Reply 3
Original post by AngeryPenguin
No but it should be.

Have you got a source for the answer of "no"

Also why do you think it should be illegal?
Reply 4
Male and female is coded to your DNA... trans or not, you are what you DNA says you are..
I refer to them as what they originally were before the change, because after the change they’re still the same gender...
Reply 6
Original post by Y12_FurtherMaths
I refer to them as what they originally were before the change, because after the change they’re still the same gender...

I mean thats the thing, apparently some time ago it was determined gender and sex are different things but don't we all use sex as the identifier anyway?
Original post by e^iπ
I mean thats the thing, apparently some time ago it was determined gender and sex are different things but don't we all use sex as the identifier anyway?

Pfft what’s the difference between them? 😂
Reply 8
Original post by e^iπ
Would this act be a punishable offence under current legislation that could result in a custodial sentence?

No.
Reply 9
Original post by Y12_FurtherMaths
Pfft what’s the difference between them? 😂

Well apparently experts say it is, but I personally feel that the distinction is a superfluous one. And this personal opinion does not go against science.
What I believe, from many years as practising as a silk at the Old Bailey, is there there is no specific criminal offence. It is unlikely to come under a generic offence, unless you are particularly obnoxious in how you do it. E.g. potential harassment or intentional harm/harassment/distress from "threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour" (s4a Public Order Act 1986). As society becomes more SJW, it might offend common decency not to refer to the preferred gender -- but public order is always a matter of society's taste.

Illegal, to me, does not mean unlawful. In the Equality Act context, e.g. in employment, it is unlawful to treat people who have undergone or are currently undergoing gender reassigment less favourably than others. Guidance from various authorities suggests this extends to all people with gender dysphoria even if they are not undergoing physical or hormonal reassignment, but that question is beyond the scope of this paper.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by e^iπ
Well apparently experts say it is, but I personally feel that the distinction is a superfluous one. And this personal opinion does not go against science.

There are only two genders. Male and female, of which depends upon your genitalia. I think it’s absurd how people can claim to identify as some crazy inanimate object!

Sexuality on the other hand is a different thing. Tbh I couldn’t care less who you are attracted to although I do think some of them are weird though...
No but it should be.

cause you've never grown up and can't stand someone who doesn't agree with you?
great to see so many here standing up for science against the trendy liberal lefty fascists
Original post by sammcc86
Male and female is coded to your DNA... trans or not, you are what you DNA says you are.. You cant be male cos you feel like one, all you can do is attempt to inpersonate it.

Genetics ain't that simple. Frankly "muh chromosomes" is broadly irrelevant, it's phenotypes that matter even if you want to ignore the existence of psychology & neuroscience and adopt a bioessentialist attitude.
Reply 15
No but it should be.

Referring to another thread from yesterday, that would be “pc gone mad”.
Here we go again :facepalm: it's Christmas take a break
Original post by CoolCavy
Here we go again :facepalm: it's Christmas take a break

Exactly 😂
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Genetics ain't that simple. Frankly "muh chromosomes" is broadly irrelevant, it's phenotypes that matter even if you want to ignore the existence of psychology & neuroscience and adopt a bioessentialist attitude.

And what exactly determines phenotype.... genes..coded by your DNA...
That's basically making it illegal to refer to men as women or vice versa. That's just moronic. It would be bloody dystopian to criminalise people simply for using the 'wrong' pronouns.

Police resources are already stretched (and poorly prioritised: see people being arrested for saying mean things online) and there are enough people in jail costing the prison service money.

Latest

Trending

Trending