The Student Room Group

Dani's GYG 2018/19

Hey everyone!

I've decided to start my gyg today - whoop yay! :biggrin:

Currently I'm revising for my mock GCSEs in January (which start on my birthday what luck :_( )

I am studying English Language, English Literature, Maths, Double Science, Geography, Music, Design Technology, Spanish and Computer Science. I'm doing a mixture of GCSEs and IGCSEs :smile:

I hope to get at least all 7s, 8s and 9s (all 9s would be a massive achievement - it's possible, but a lot of work, I know :biggrin: )

I am insanely stressed, I didn't even know this level of stress was possible lol :s-smilie:

I guess that's all for now so...

LET'S GET THIS PART-AY STARTED!!! (a little over-enthusiastic perhaps??? lol :biggrin: )

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ohdahnnyboi
Hey everyone!

I've decided to start my gyg today - whoop yay! :biggrin:

Currently I'm revising for my mock GCSEs in January (which start on my birthday what luck :_( )

I am studying English Language, English Literature, Maths, Double Science, Geography, Music, Design Technology, Spanish and Computer Science. I'm doing a mixture of GCSEs and IGCSEs :smile:

I hope to get at least all 7s, 8s and 9s (all 9s would be a massive achievement - it's possible, but a lot of work, I know :biggrin: )

I am insanely stressed, I didn't even know this level of stress was possible lol :s-smilie:

I guess that's all for now so...

LET'S GET THIS PART-AY STARTED!!! (a little over-enthusiastic perhaps??? lol :biggrin: )

Best of luck with your studies!! Which subjects do you enjoy most? :smile:
If you’re doing a tag list, can I be in it please? Can’t wait for this :wink: x
ahh good luck with mocks! im sure you'll smash them x
Original post by brainzistheword
Best of luck with your studies!! Which subjects do you enjoy most? :smile:

Probably geography, music and maths :smile:
Original post by mez_merising
ahh good luck with mocks! im sure you'll smash them x

thanks! :smile: :smile:
So, at this very moment I am "revising" Computer Science. Who else does Computer Science??? It is SOOO dead, I actually don't know why I picked it and why I STILL haven't dropped it yet, cos now it's too late and I have to do it, so great x(

I have only been revising for a week (since school finished), and I feel like nothing's going in, ygm. I know it's only been a week but I feel like a should know more - anyone else? Like, my teachers have said we only have 3 weeks, don't stress about it, do what you can, you know, but I still feel rubbish about it lol :biggrin:

It's funny, because we've been told at school that we shouldn't worry about these mocks, they aren't that important, it's only a measure of what you know so far, we've still got stuff to learn, etc.etc. but I still want to do well, ygm. I still want to get good grades in them because let's be real - after mocks we've got 3 months to GCSEs, starting in May and realistically, 3-4 weeks of that are not at school (half term and Easter). So...bring on the panic lol jk :biggrin:

How do you guys revise? And for how long? I tend to use mind maps and flashcards, with lots of colour and drawings - I'm a very visual learner. I can't focus for long; I get too distracted, so for now, it's only 30 minute slots at a time, otherwise I get bored. I think little and often is better than long stretches of revision. I've been told the brain likes variation (now I sound like a nerd :biggrin: :biggrin:)

Tell me what you guys think :smile:
So long...
hi :wavey:

i’m in year 11 too ahhh

i finished my mocks a few weeks ago. never been so stressed :nah:
good luckkkk
Original post by clouddbubbles
hi :wavey:

i’m in year 11 too ahhh

i finished my mocks a few weeks ago. never been so stressed :nah:
good luckkkk

thanks! :smile: :u:
Right, so today is Sunday so I'm having a little break (I say so, having woken up at 4.30am this morning to revise lol :biggrin:), but I'm back to it in the evening. Absolutely brill :smile:

As an aside, I have to wash my hair today, which I haven't done recently - don't get grossed out; you can leave Afro hair for max. 3 weeks lol. I've been so busy, I haven't been able to (really I'm a first class procrastinator, not just in revision obviously lol). Because of the nature of my hair, it takes at least and hour and I cba most of the time, I really hate it - maintaining Afro hair is literally an ongoing battle. Now I sound really prissy lol, but my mum does it most of the time because I pester her, and I can't do it properly - I can't wash my hair the way most people do, so I make her do it :biggrin:. Recently tho, she has been resisting which is rlly annoying for me cos now I have to do it. It involves detangling it first, combing through the whole thing (which rlly hurts btw) so it doesn't get knotty, then actually wash it through twice with shampoo first, then condition, comb through and leave to air-dry. It's an actual chore, like I cannot be arsed. But, it's turning into a nest, so it has fallen to me to do it ugh :frown: :s-smilie:

Back to revision lol. I really hate revising for Computer Science, Biology and English. But I have to. At Christmas. And next week I can't even realistically revise all week because I have to actually celebrate Christmas for a bit, and might be going away. Ugh, love my life xx :biggrin:
So Christmas and New Year has meant that I have slackened in my revision - and I just realized I have a weekend left before school starts. And mocks. I also turn 16 on the same day. #LoveMyLife :unimpressed:
When do you guys go back to school? If you're back already, I feel your pain :frown:
My mocks are spread out over 2 and a half weeks, so I have some time in between exams to revise as well, but it's not a lot. I'm really scared. Terrified. :biggrin:
Another thing: I have found when all my actual GCSEs are this summer - the exam timetables for all my exam boards are on the website 😂 I'm so desperately sad lol. I discovered a clash between my DT Drawing exam and my English Literature paper 2 on the 23rd of May at 9.30am. So great; I'm already panicking and I've already depressed myself - well done Dani, way to go! 😂😂 I suppose the school will sort it out and reschedule one of them.
However, I like knowing when they are now, so I can manage my time better than I have over the Christmas break - I distract myself so easily. It also doesn't help that my brothers are noisy and inconsiderate most of the time :eek: :angry: I made a study planner on Get Revising from after mocks till GCSEs so I can do small bits of revision continuously because it's a lot of learning to remember.
So, I guess that's it from me for now - any questions, please do ask :smile:
And if you want to be in my tag list, tell me - @RazzzBerries :biggrin: :biggrin: (there you go, my first one lol 😂)
So long, farewell, auf wiedersehn, goodbye!
(edited 5 years ago)
Yes, the school exams officer will sort out your clash for you - you will do one and then the otehr straight after (unless you already have an exam scheduled for the afternoon, in which case you may well have three on the bounce with a 20 minute break between each to have something to eat etc.)

You are sensible to take the mocks seriously - whilst they are a learning opportunity, if you are very unwell during your actual GCSEs (which does happen - I have had people with appendicitis, glandular fever and worse), so that you are unable to take them, (or one or two of them) the school can apply for an estimated grade in some circumstances. Effectively, as part of the evidence, they look at where you ranked in your mock and who ranked above and below you and then look at how they did in the "real" exam and estimate from that (alongside other factors). But always remember it is possible to do better in the real thing, so if your mocks don't go so well, use that as the motivation you need to sit down and get stuck in for the real things! Good luck!
Original post by Simbasoul
Yes, the school exams officer will sort out your clash for you - you will do one and then the otehr straight after (unless you already have an exam scheduled for the afternoon, in which case you may well have three on the bounce with a 20 minute break between each to have something to eat etc.)

You are sensible to take the mocks seriously - whilst they are a learning opportunity, if you are very unwell during your actual GCSEs (which does happen - I have had people with appendicitis, glandular fever and worse), so that you are unable to take them, (or one or two of them) the school can apply for an estimated grade in some circumstances. Effectively, as part of the evidence, they look at where you ranked in your mock and who ranked above and below you and then look at how they did in the "real" exam and estimate from that (alongside other factors). But always remember it is possible to do better in the real thing, so if your mocks don't go so well, use that as the motivation you need to sit down and get stuck in for the real things! Good luck!

Thanks for the help! Shame I have to do 2 exams in one morning :frown: ah well :smile:
So Christmas and New Year has meant that I have slackened in my revision - and I just realized I have a weekend left before school starts. And mocks. I also turn 16 on the same day. #LoveMyLife :unimpressed:
When do you guys go back to school? If you're back already, I feel your pain :frown:
My mocks are spread out over 2 and a half weeks, so I have some time in between exams to revise as well, but it's not a lot. I'm really scared. Terrified. :biggrin:
Another thing: I have found when all my actual GCSEs are this summer - the exam timetables for all my exam boards are on the website 😂 I'm so desperately sad lol. I discovered a clash between my DT Drawing exam and my English Literature paper 2 on the 23rd of May at 9.30am. So great; I'm already panicking and I've already depressed myself - well done Dani, way to go! 😂😂 I suppose the school will sort it out and reschedule one of them.
However, I like knowing when they are now, so I can manage my time better than I have over the Christmas break - I distract myself so easily. It also doesn't help that my brothers are noisy and inconsiderate most of the time :eek: :angry: I made a study planner on Get Revising from after mocks till GCSEs so I can do small bits of revision continuously because it's a lot of learning to remember.
So, I guess that's it from me for now - any questions, please do ask :smile:
And if you want to be in my tag list, tell me - @RazzzBerries :biggrin: :biggrin: (there you go, my first one lol 😂)
So long, farewell, auf wiedersehn, goodbye!

Happy early birthday :hugs:
Ugh, I know what you mean, my birthday was a week or two before my set of mocks (we had them before Christmas) and there were like 5 people that showed up out of the 12 or so I'd invited because everyone was revising :rofl:
At least have some cake and a bit of fun on the actual day to lighten the mood :party:
You've made a revision timetable! Hun, you've already done more than me. I'm trying to make myself feel better after cleaning my room a lil bit but I just realised we have a weekend left as you said :facepalm: whoops.

Yayyy I'm part of the OG @ohdahnnyboi fan club :rofl: :heart:

Good luck for mocks! You'll be fine! :jumphug:
Original post by RazzzBerries
Happy early birthday :hugs:
Ugh, I know what you mean, my birthday was a week or two before my set of mocks (we had them before Christmas) and there were like 5 people that showed up out of the 12 or so I'd invited because everyone was revising :rofl:
At least have some cake and a bit of fun on the actual day to lighten the mood :party:
You've made a revision timetable! Hun, you've already done more than me. I'm trying to make myself feel better after cleaning my room a lil bit but I just realised we have a weekend left as you said :facepalm: whoops.

Yayyy I'm part of the OG @ohdahnnyboi fan club :rofl: :heart:

Good luck for mocks! You'll be fine! :jumphug:

i like this :party: tres cool :biggrin: :tongue:arty
yes cake is in order :cake: idk if that works - if it says :cake: it obviously didnt lol
what should we call my fans?? boiis? with a z? :biggrin:
and thanks for the haps early bday :tongue:arty. im gonna keep using this now :biggrin:lol :party: :party: :party:
yes cake is in order :cake: idk if that works - if it says :cake: it obviously didnt lol
and thanks for the haps early bday :tongue:arty. im gonna keep using this now :biggrin:lol :party: :party: :party:

:giggle:

Boiiz. And a single fan would be a Boi. :rofl:

:cake: works !!!!!! if u put cake between 2 sets of colons, it works - i thought it wouldnt, it does lol :biggrin: :biggrin:
ooh, I didn't know you had a GYG :gah: Best of luck! :rave:
(and yes, compsci is absolutely horrible. did it for gcse and honestly regretted life :lol: which exam board are you on?)
Original post by nyxnko_
ooh, I didn't know you had a GYG :gah: Best of luck! :rave:
(and yes, compsci is absolutely horrible. did it for gcse and honestly regretted life :lol: which exam board are you on?)

im doing OCR - have to do NEA, but this year we get no marks. so its a waste of valuable in-lesson revision time :angry: ah well, can't wait to get it over and done with; one of the worst decisions i've ever made honestly :biggrin: :party:
im doing OCR - have to do NEA, but this year we get no marks. so its a waste of valuable in-lesson revision time :angry: ah well, can't wait to get it over and done with; one of the worst decisions i've ever made honestly :biggrin: :party:

yuck :yucky: i'm so glad i don't do it anymore :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending