The Student Room Group

Not enjoying my economics degree

I've just finished my first term of uni doing economics and I'm really not liking it. I'm not interested in anything I'm studying and finding it very hard to find motivation. Also careers are stressing me out because none of the finance related jobs appeal to me. The only part of my degree that I'm enjoying is the maths module. I don't want to do a straight maths degree because I feel like that's pretty pointless but I do want to change my course to something that involves more maths. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by VisualBasic
maybe actuarial science??? Stats/financial maths???

I was considering actuary, but apparently the exams are never-ending, like you have to do them for years after uni while you're working. But I'll definitely look into financial maths thank you!
Reply 2
Original post by rachel294
I've just finished my first term of uni doing economics and I'm really not liking it. I'm not interested in anything I'm studying and finding it very hard to find motivation. Also careers are stressing me out because none of the finance related jobs appeal to me. The only part of my degree that I'm enjoying is the maths module. I don't want to do a straight maths degree because I feel like that's pretty pointless but I do want to change my course to something that involves more maths. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Why do you think maths is pretty pointless? Its a very employable degree.

what year are you in?
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Why do you think maths is pretty pointless? Its a very employable degree.

Oh don't get me wrong I know it's an unreal degree! I just think I would then have to do some other kind of degree or training afterwards because it's very general. Also I like maths but not enough to do a whole degree on it with nothing else
Reply 5
Original post by Renaissance-Man
what year are you in?

First year, so I feel like if I'm going to change courses, now is the time
Reply 6
Original post by VisualBasic
Queen Mary and lse have some nice courses on maths and finance I think

Will look into them for sure thank you v much
First year, so I feel like if I'm going to change courses, now is the time

Yeah you can probably change before it affects your student finance! Tell your tutor (or someone senior in the department) ASAP though.

Just be prepared for whatever you might change to though because you might not like that either (grass isn't always greener on the other side).
Reply 8

What finance related jobs have you looked into, and which do not appeal? I only ask this because before you embark on changing to actuarial science or financial mathematics, you should make sure you enjoy those finance related careers.

Do you think you want to change entirely, to something like engineering? This is more mathematical than economics, but also applied to the real world. Otherwise you could embark on a degree in statistics, which is similar to actuarial science but less finance/insurance focused.

Also, think about the career you want to do after you graduate, and what sort of degree makes most sense. Either way, as has been mentioned, mention this to your personal tutor as soon as possible. The longer your leave it, the more difficult it becomes.
There are a lot of "finance related jobs" so you've got to be specific. Do you hate a quarter of all jobs on the planet? Doubtful.
Reply 10
Original post by LostAccount
There are a lot of "finance related jobs" so you've got to be specific. Do you hate a quarter of all jobs on the planet? Doubtful.

To be fair, I know you were only making a point by saying a quarter of jobs, but in case anyone is interested, in the UK approx. 10% of jobs are finance related. (Source: ONS, employment workforce tables by industry, categories K, L and M.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending