The Student Room Group

Extra reading Edexcel english lit

Hey,So i am going to soon be doing my english lit a level (via cloud learn) i was just wondering if anyone knew some extra books i could study which would be relevant the books that i will be studying are
Drama- Twelfth night and the importance of being Earnest
Prose- Frankenstein and The handmaids tale
Poetry- Poems of the Decade: An Anthology of the Forward Books of
Poetry and Selected Poems of T.S. Eliot.
Coursework- Wuthering Heights and The Bloody Chamber.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by Ellie_x1
Hey,So i am going to soon be doing my english lit a level (via cloud learn) i was just wondering if anyone knew some extra books i could study which would be relevant the books that i will be studying are

Same but i'm doing the AS exam for it btw do you have any revision tips for revising Frankenstein and the handmaids tale? and poetry????

Tbh, I got an A* on Edexcel English Lit A-level without doing any further reading. I would recommend just reading and rereading the texts you're studying again and again until you know them inside out and back to front.
Reply 4
Original post by LeapingLucy
Tbh, I got an A* on Edexcel English Lit A-level without doing any further reading. I would recommend just reading and rereading the texts you're studying again and again until you know them inside out and back to front.
Do you have any revision techniques that I could use
Reply 5
Original post by hd...
Same but i'm doing the AS exam for it btw do you have any revision tips for revising Frankenstein and the handmaids tale? and poetry????

I haven't started my course yet I'm am starting a distance learning course in January how are you finding the course

hey, I'm doing the same course and books on Cloudlearn. I was wandering if you have any tips or ideas to really improve my coursework - this is defo a really difficult part for me.
As said above, make sure you know the texts inside out.

Read as much as you can about the authors. Read as much as you can about the time period in which they were produced. Read literary theory. Make sure you understand literary devices.

Now is a really good time to look online for academic articles and literary theory explaining fun aspects of these texts, as they're being made available for students. Literally just google it and see what you can find! :smile:

In terms of reading contemporary or relevant texts for comparison, I'd recommend:

- reading another Shakespearean tragicomedy (and make sure you understand his comedy-tragedy divisions!)
- Frankenstein: read Coleridge, Wordsworth, Shelley for Romanticism
- The Handmaid's Tale: literally anything feminist. A Room of One's Own maybe? There's literally so much out there.
- Earnest: read other plays of the fin du siècle period! and other Wilde of course.
- T.S. Eliot - Woolf, Fitzgerald and other modernist writers
- Wuthering Heights: read Jane Austen and the Brontë sisters. or maybe just the wikipedia and cliffnotes summaries
- The Bloody Chamber: read Grimms' Fairy Stories and more feminist literature

If you have any questions lmk :smile:
Reply 8

Is cloudlearn good. I am wanting to do a gcse English and maths course worth them. How do you find cloudlearn?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending