The Student Room Group

Music and Film - does that course exist? Desperate

Hi everyone,

so I am really interested in film editing (like with programmes) and I've been doing it for the past 6 years. Studying something related to film and being able to create them sounds really exciting. At the same time I feel a really strong need to try something connected to music - I sit in my room every day and try to "create" something, but it sounds awful. I've always wanted to be in a band and I really want to be record something (I know, it sounds stupid, but altough I have the lyrics and music I can't make it sound okay - my voice sucks and I can only play guitar). What I am wondering is: is there a course that contains both of these? I'm not talking about Film Music or editing sound for films - I want to be able t edit films and record (f.e. in a studio) and edit music. I've heard something about a course called "Creative Technologies", but after reading the modules - if I understand it correctly - there isn't much film or music in it. Do you have a solution for this problem? If not, what should I study - film or music? And which courses would fit me better? There are tons of them called "Sound design", "Music production", "Music" "Digital Media" etc but I don't understand which one should I choose for especially these sections.

I would be really really thankful for any clues or answers, I really have no idea what I should do and the deadline is very soon.
Original post by angelstoflyyx
Hi everyone,

so I am really interested in film editing (like with programmes) and I've been doing it for the past 6 years. Studying something related to film and being able to create them sounds really exciting. At the same time I feel a really strong need to try something connected to music - I sit in my room every day and try to "create" something, but it sounds awful. I've always wanted to be in a band and I really want to be record something (I know, it sounds stupid, but altough I have the lyrics and music I can't make it sound okay - my voice sucks and I can only play guitar). What I am wondering is: is there a course that contains both of these? I'm not talking about Film Music or editing sound for films - I want to be able t edit films and record (f.e. in a studio) and edit music. I've heard something about a course called "Creative Technologies", but after reading the modules - if I understand it correctly - there isn't much film or music in it. Do you have a solution for this problem? If not, what should I study - film or music? And which courses would fit me better? There are tons of them called "Sound design", "Music production", "Music" "Digital Media" etc but I don't understand which one should I choose for especially these sections.

I would be really really thankful for any clues or answers, I really have no idea what I should do and the deadline is very soon.

Are you studying A-levels or in GCSE still?

If your going towards A-levels, try doing music and media as separate a-levels.

If you are going to university look for "media and music degrees" film would come up as film studies which is the study of film rather than the actual application of movie technologies.
Original post by HanimalGurl
Are you studying A-levels or in GCSE still?

If your going towards A-levels, try doing music and media as separate a-levels.

If you are going to university look for "media and music degrees" film would come up as film studies which is the study of film rather than the actual application of movie technologies.

I am an international student (still in high school), I don't understand A-levels but I guess it isn't for me anyway. Thanks for the keywords tho, I found 3 courses, when there is "film/video production", but it is a side thing. I still don't know which way should I choose
if your looking at degree level then you can do a dual degree with both subjects!
Original post by nintysixthousand
if your looking at degree level then you can do a dual degree with both subjects!

And how does that work? What do I have to do to study both?
Look at 'visual effects' or 'VFX' courses and see if thats interesting. You learn about film production, how to shoot videos. But they also teach you how to do green screen stuff and add 'CGI' etc.

I'm also learning music theory and music production right now but I'm learning from the internet, since all the information is available lol. Loads of famous music producers are self taught with just a laptop :tongue: (Deadmau5, Martin Garrix, Skrillex, Avicii, etc.)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ChickenMadness
Look at 'visual effects' or 'VFX' courses and see if thats interesting. You learn about film production, how to shoot videos. But they also teach you how to do green screen stuff and add 'CGI' etc.

I'm also learning music theory and music production right now but I'm learning from the internet, since all the information is available lol. Loads of famous music producers are self taught with just a laptop :tongue: (Deadmau5, Martin Garrix, Skrillex, Avicii, etc.)

I applied for Film Production after all, guess not so bad, but the thing about music production really interested me, mind sharing links or something? I've tried learning by myself for 4 years and nothing came out of it, since I don't have any basics
Original post by angelstoflyyx
I applied for Film Production after all, guess not so bad, but the thing about music production really interested me, mind sharing links or something? I've tried learning by myself for 4 years and nothing came out of it, since I don't have any basics

I'll send it in a PM, don't think you're allowed to post loads of links on the forum lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending