The Student Room Group

Need help on maths!!! So frustrating question...

Would anyone would be kind enough to help me with this question please.
Thank you 😊

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Panicky student
Would anyone would be kind enough to help me with this question please.
Thank you 😊

148FDC8D-364D-466F-8B1E-9A3603EFB712.jpeg

Put x squared + 3x +2 into brackets first

You need to get the same denominators. So you need to multiply the second fraction by something in order to match that denominator of the first fraction.

If you factorise x2+3x+2x^2+3x+2 then it's obvious what that 'something' must be.
Original post by RDKGames
You need to get the same denominators. So you need to multiply the second fraction by something in order to match that denominator of the first fraction.

If you factorise x2+3x+2x^2+3x+2 then it's obvious what that 'something' must be.

I need full explanation please.
I need full explanation please.

Have you factorized x^2+3x+2 yet?
Factorise => cross multiply => simplify
Original post by DFranklin
Have you factorized x^2+3x+2 yet?

Yes
Yes

So, rewrite the first fraction using the factorization. Can you now see what you'd need to multiply the denominator of the second fraction by so both fractions have the same denominator?

Whether or not you can see what to do next, post what you've done so far. If I don't see some evidence you've actually done some maths I won't reply again.
Factories the left part first, and then times the right part by a common denominator so you can add them together.
Nope my mind is still blank
I just don’t get how did I get the same denominator I need to see the step by step method and even the numerator for the second one confused me a lot
Reply 11
Nope my mind is still blank
I just don’t get how did I get the same denominator I need to see the step by step method and even the numerator for the second one confused me a lot

Please post your working and we can help. Posting full solutions is against the rules.
(edited 5 years ago)
When you factorise x^2+3x+2 you get (x+2)(x+1), to add fractions together, the denominator need to be the same, so you times top and bottom by whatever is missing from the right fractions denominator.
But that gives me 3 brackets solution
Original post by Juju12355
Factorise => cross multiply => simplify

Not a good approach - the denominator should be the LCM.

You don't times both fractions only the right fractions to Make the denominator the same and make sure you times top and bottom

Post your working so far
Original post by Redslayed
When you factorise x^2+3x+2 you get (x+2)(x+1), to add fractions together, the denominator need to be the same, so you times top and bottom by whatever is missing from the right fractions denominator.

Can I suggest you don't start a "bidding war" of doing more and more of the question for the OP when he has shown no actual evidence of doing anything himself. He says he's done the factorization but given no evidence, he's been asked repeatedly to post working and done nothing. It's only encouraging such behaviour (and not actually helpful to teaching the OP) if people just "give in" and decide "OK, I'll post some working myself then".
A1296CDD-7C86-4AD4-B75C-AA46C2280C35.jpeg
Happy that you've proved me wrong by posting some working. So, as I said before, what do you need to multiply the denominator of x1x+2\dfrac{x-1}{x+2} by to get the same denominator as in x(x+1)(x+2)\dfrac{x}{(x+1)(x+2)}?

Quick Reply

Latest