The Student Room Group
Original post by a cool potato
Are websites like eGlobal Central, Tecobuy and TobyDeals safe? I’ve seen loads of bad reviews but loads of good reviews so I can’t decide whether to purchase from them.
Side note: I want to buy the Sony WH1000XM3 so if anyone owns them, are they worth it?

Eglobal and the other sites you've listed are grey importers, they're legitimate sellers in the sense that they do give you the items you buy from them but they ship the stock directly from Asia without paying VAT fees to wherever they ship it. The upside is that if the package reaches you without getting caught up in customs you make a nice saving. The downside is if it does get caught up in customs then you will have to foot that VAT bill yourself. Also, regardless of whether or not the VAT gets paid the product is almost guaranteed to not have any warranty cover, meaning if the product arrives dead in the box then you will be paying for the repair as well as a potential VAT bill.

If you absolutely need both wireless and noise cancelling tech, the WH1000X series are great. If you do not absolute need one or both of those things, there are better sounding headphones available for about the same price.
Are websites like eGlobal Central, Tecobuy and TobyDeals safe? I’ve seen loads of bad reviews but loads of good reviews so I can’t decide whether to purchase from them.
Side note: I want to buy the Sony WH1000XM3 so if anyone owns them, are they worth it?

Eglobal and the other sites you've listed are grey importers, they're legitimate sellers in the sense that they do give you the items you buy from them but they ship the stock directly from Asia without paying VAT fees to wherever they ship it. The upside is that if the package reaches you without getting caught up in customs you make a nice saving. The downside is if it does get caught up in customs then you will have to foot that VAT bill yourself. Also, regardless of whether or not the VAT gets paid the product is almost guaranteed to not have any warranty cover, meaning if the product arrives dead in the box then you will be paying for the repair as well as a potential VAT bill.

If you absolutely need both wireless and noise cancelling tech, the WH1000X series are great. If you do not absolute need one or both of those things, there are better sounding headphones available for about the same price.
Ok thanks. I’ll probably wait until Black Friday then.
Reply 4
Ok thanks. I’ll probably wait until Black Friday then.

I've just bought a Garmin watch from Tecobuy. Apparently it's been shipped so we'll see if it arrives. I paid by PayPal so hoping I've got at lease some protection.

FYI I have the bowers and wilkins p7 headphones and the sound is phenomenal. No noise cancelling, but I prefer sound quality over noise cancelling, and I cant hear a thing when I'm listening to them anyway.
Reply 5
Original post by Steve82
I've just bought a Garmin watch from Tecobuy. Apparently it's been shipped so we'll see if it arrives. I paid by PayPal so hoping I've got at lease some protection.

FYI I have the bowers and wilkins p7 headphones and the sound is phenomenal. No noise cancelling, but I prefer sound quality over noise cancelling, and I cant hear a thing when I'm listening to them anyway.

Quick update, they've taken the money from my PayPal account but no sign of the package yet. Trying to remain optimistic.
Reply 6

Update - just got an email from Yodel saying my parcel is on their van and to be delivered today. I'm not going to be in but things are looking good. I just hope the product arrives as sold.
eGlobal and the others are scam websites.I bought a Motorola from them and the screen cracked.The phone is a Chinese version not a EU version, so EU screens do not work.

I think they use FTZ (foreign trade zones) to get their products into the markets they want. For the EU and the UK they use a warehouse in the UK, but the phone first has to come from China.

I checked eglobal and the other company locations, they are in two high end office towers in downtown HK just 11 minutes away from each other. Where their main warehouse is, is a good question. Anyway..the website goes on about all the exclusions and that if you want a repair done you have to ship it back to China at your own cost during the warranty period. I checked my home country's postal service rates for a small box on priority shipping (USPS) and it was $30 to send it. Now what was not covered in the website was return postage and how it would be returned. The chances are on the return customs could hit it with a fee. Plus how long is repair time? Transit time to China was about a week (6-8 days) from the US. And then how long does it sit in queue before being worked on and sent back? Not worth the "savings" you get. If you search hard enough and long enough you can find suppliers from Amazon or other places in your country or county or nearby countries.

This goes for ALL electronic products. Just is not worth it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by username4406604
eGlobal and the others are scam websites.I bought a Motorola from them and the screen cracked.The phone is a Chinese version not a EU version, so EU screens do not work.

I think they use FTZ (foreign trade zones) to get their products into the markets they want. For the EU and the UK they use a warehouse in the UK, but the phone first has to come from China.

I checked eglobal and the other company locations, they are in two high end office towers in downtown HK just 11 minutes away from each other. Where their main warehouse is, is a good question. Anyway..the website goes on about all the exclusions and that if you want a repair done you have to ship it back to China at your own cost during the warranty period. I checked my home country's postal service rates for a small box on priority shipping (USPS) and it was $30 to send it. Now what was not covered in the website was return postage and how it would be returned. The chances are on the return customs could hit it with a fee. Plus how long is repair time? Transit time to China was about a week (6-8 days) from the US. And then how long does it sit in queue before being worked on and sent back? Not worth the "savings" you get. If you search hard enough and long enough you can find suppliers from Amazon or other places in your country or county or nearby countries.

This goes for ALL electronic products. Just is not worth it.

Suppliers on Amazon probably also ship from China. That's where electronics are made.

I bought a S6 Note Edge, a S9 and a galaxy Tab4 from eglobal, all without any problems and all devices work fine (they do have to be set to UK language, but that is not a biggie) and some SD cards all without problems. Considering the negative review, maybe I was lucky, lucky, lucky! I would still use them.

On a side note, the S6 has now been bricked by a software update by Samsung, but I don't blame eglobal for that.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
this is not a safe site..I have ordered a product, and I paid it almost a month back. I am still waiting for a product. There is no response from eglobal. at first, I got a tracking number, which never showed me any updates.you can never reach eglobal customer service via email, or phone. This is a TOTAL FRAUD: don't get trapped.
eglobalcentralThe Worst e-shop i have ever ordered. I placed an order (ipad pro 2020) in November the 27th. I live in Greece and i told them that i want to get it before the Christmas time because i wanted to give it to my son as a X-mas gift. Today is almost 4 !!! /1/2021 and STILL is on Tour !!! I sent to them several e-mails telling to cancel the order and refund and they answering that the parcel is on the go. Tracking it i can see that the parcel dispatched from NL 2 Dec., 8 Dec. arrived in GB and 28 Dec. arrived in NL again !!!????? when i told them what's the f@ck going on they don't answered!! In Dec. the 3rd i ordered a lense from e-infinity.eu and 23 Dec. i got it !!!!! I'm in a refund mode and i don't know if and when i'll get my money back! Conclusion: S.O.S. KEEP AWAY FROM THEM !! THEY ARE UNRELIABLE !! DON'T BUY ANYTHING !!!

Latest

Trending

Trending