The Student Room Group

Do Brits realse that minorities go out of their way to celebrate Christmas with you?

... I'll rewrite and repost when I'm on a laptop.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

please clarify what you mean
(edited 5 years ago)
Do you want a congratulations or something? Welcome to the western world, we celebrate western festivals either lump it or leave it.
Original post by AperfectBalance
Do you want a congratulations or something? Welcome to the western world, we celebrate western festivals either lump it or leave it.

lump it?
Original post by muthalganesan18
... I'll rewrite and repost when I'm on a laptop.

Just as Britons should when they go to live abroad. The whole point of migrating to another culture is to assimilate your family into it and gain its benefits.
In Britain we celebrate Christmas and it’s our biggest celebration of the year. British culture in the lead up to Christmas involves activities like office Christmas parties, secret Santa and sending Christmas cards. As a minority, you don’t have to celebrate Christmas in your own home but you should make an effort to assimilate into our culture when at work or school. If there is a Christmas party or secret Santa at work, you should participate and not segregate yourself away from it. If you don’t want to assimilate into our culture and you only want to celebrate your own traditions, then it is best for you to live in that country with other like-minded people. When in Britain, do as the British do.
(edited 5 years ago)
Didn't realise their were hoardes of people outside my door wanting to celebrate with me :eek2:
Reply 8
Couldn't care less.
Reply 9
Original post by AperfectBalance

Religious Christmas is hardly Western
If you want to live in the UK, you should assimilate into British culture. I understand that Christianity is a middle eastern religion but it has been part of Britain since the 3rd century and British culture is heavily influenced by Christian culture to the point where British people, even irreligious Brits, feel that Christmas is a part of their culture. Therefore anyone who lives here should at least publicly celebrate Christmas (aka secret Santa, making Christmas cards and nativity plays in school etc) even if they choose not to celebrate it at home (and they have every right not to celebrate it at home).

If you want to live here, you should integrate. The vast majority of Brits don’t want to be a multiculture, they want and expect assimilation. Numerous polls have shown this.
Christmas and football are what brings this country together. If you don’t like it, fine, but don’t expect the country to change for you. At least make an effort to integrate (culturally not mathematically) in public.
Original post by Megxn0

I mean yes it is, it is a big part of nearly all western cultures
When in Rome do as the Romans do. And when in England, do as the English do. And the English really do Christmas. What do you have to lose? It’s not like celebrating Diwali and Eid is illegal. Just try your best to go along with the festivities, it’s not a problem.
Original post by Megxn0

Maybe the origins aren’t western but the festival is certainly a huge part of western culture and has been for centuries, that is undeniable.

but that's "like it or lump it" not lump it or leave it
And your point is?
And? lol

BTW, plenty of minorities come from Western culture. About half of all migrants to the UK come from Europe and all of them come from Christian countries except maybe Albanians and such.
Original post by Qwertyuser123
but that's "like it or lump it" not lump it or leave it

Well, there's another one: arse about face.
Original post by Sharif92
When in Rome do as the Romans do. And when in England, do as the English do. And the English really do Christmas. What do you have to lose? It’s not like celebrating Diwali and Eid is illegal. Just try your best to go along with the festivities, it’s not a problem.

My dad taught me when In Rome do as the Romans’ do. He was shortly then arrested for killing 20,000 Christians in Italy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending