The Student Room Group

Taking resets 2019

Hello, in august I received an A in Maths and a B in Chemistry.If I wanted to resit maths (edexcel) would I have to do all the papers? or can I choose to resit C3 only. Same thing with chemistry (aqa) if i wanted to resit would I have to do every paper or can I just do paper 2?. One last thing about edexcel further maths, as a private candidate on my gap year if i wanted to sit it can i take the old spec FP1 FP2 FP3 papers or do i have to take the new spec papers? Thank you
Original post by zęn
Hello, in august I received an A in Maths and a B in Chemistry.If I wanted to resit maths (edexcel) would I have to do all the papers? or can I choose to resit C3 only. Same thing with chemistry (aqa) if i wanted to resit would I have to do every paper or can I just do paper 2?. One last thing about edexcel further maths, as a private candidate on my gap year if i wanted to sit it can i take the old spec FP1 FP2 FP3 papers or do i have to take the new spec papers? Thank you

Ask AQA, but it says Summer 2019 is the last resit fro A level maths on legacy, so it looks like you can choose and select.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/timings-for-the-withdrawal-of-legacy-gcses-as-and-a-levels#legacy-as-and-a-levels
Original post by zęn

You can resit the legacy maths C3 if you wish. As tigger999 has pointed out this is the last opportunity to do so.
If you want to resit chemistry you have to do all of the papers but you don’t need to repeat the practical endorsement.

You should double check the further maths question with Edexcel. My understanding is that you wouldn’t be allowed to enter for it unless you had prepared for it last year and were unable for some reason to take the exams. You could definitely do an AS or A level FM under the new specification.
(edited 5 years ago)
(Original post by gdunne42)You can resit the legacy maths C3 if you wish. As tigger999 has pointed out this is the last opportunity to do so.
If you want to resit chemistry you have to do all of the papers but you don’t need to repeat the practical endorsement.

You should double check the further maths question with AQA. My understanding is that you wouldn’t be allowed to enter for it unless you had prepared for it last year and were unable for some reason to take the exams. You could definitely do an AS or A level FM under the new specification.

Thanks 999tigger and gdunne42 for the responses, if thats the case then I will not resit chemistry and just resit the C3 module for Maths, also regarding the further maths,
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Examination-timetables/1906-GCE-Timetable-Final.pdf

if you check that link out at letter M it says there is a sitting for FP1 FP2 FP3 in June 2019 which is the legacy further maths, does this mean I can book for those exams? as I would rather do the legacy since I will be a private candidate and their is more resources for legacy, or am I forced to do the new Further maths papers which are under letter F and consists of the Further core 1 and 2 papers alongside 2 Further optional paper choices, once again thanks for your time and help :smile:.
Reply 4
For Maths (all boards in England) you can re-sit as many/as few of the units you've already taken and your better/best attempt at each unit is the one that will count in calculating the overall grade.
For Chemistry (all boards in England) you can carry forward the practical endorsement but have to re-sit all 3 written exams andthe grade will be based on how you do in this latest attempt.
If you want to take AS Further Maths then I think you will be OK taking the old spec as you have already taken Maths units, but it would be best to check with Edexcel - email them so you have it in writing. However, I'd advise against taking FP1, FP2 and FP3 as your AS Further Maths units - FP2 and FP3 are significantly harder than other units and you will be at a disadvantage compared to students who have done (say) FP1, S2 and D1
(edited 5 years ago)
My best advice would be to call up AQA and email them as well (marking it as high priority). Ask to speak to the head of qualifications for maths and tell them about your situation, otherwise you are just going on hearsay.I wish you the best of luck, I'm sure it will work out :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Anshinya146
My best advice would be to call up AQA and email them as well (marking it as high priority). Ask to speak to the head of qualifications for maths and tell them about your situation, otherwise you are just going on hearsay.I wish you the best of luck, I'm sure it will work out :smile:

The rules for Chemistry (with AQA) are crystal clear as they are the same for all linear qualifications in England - you have to re-sit all exams. The OP says he does Maths with Edexcel so there is no point ringing AQA about that and there is also no need to recommend this is a priority or needs to go to the Head of Qualifications for Maths - try to learn a sense of proportion. You'd also find, if you ever rang the exam boards, that it is incredibly rare to get to talk to someone other than a customer service advisor - they just pass on the message and then relay the answer back.
Original post by zęn
(Original post by gdunne42)You can resit the legacy maths C3 if you wish. As tigger999 has pointed out this is the last opportunity to do so.

You should double check the further maths question with AQA. My understanding is that you wouldn’t be allowed to enter for it unless you had prepared for it last year and were unable for some reason to take the exams. You could definitely do an AS or A level FM under the new specification.

Thanks 999tigger and gdunne42 for the responses, if thats the case then I will not resit chemistry and just resit the C3 module for Maths, also regarding the further maths,
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Examination-timetables/1906-GCE-Timetable-Final.pdf

if you check that link out at letter M it says there is a sitting for FP1 FP2 FP3 in June 2019 which is the legacy further maths, does this mean I can book for those exams? as I would rather do the legacy since I will be a private candidate and their is more resources for legacy, or am I forced to do the new Further maths papers which are under letter F and consists of the Further core 1 and 2 papers alongside 2 Further optional paper choices, once again thanks for your time and help :smile:.

@compost has much more experience with exam entries than I do and thinks (having done the legacy maths A level) you would be allowed to enter for the final sitting of legacy Further Maths exams.
Double check either directly with Edexcel through their web site or ask your exams officer to confirm on your behalf.
Original post by gdunne42
@compost has much more experience with exam entries than I do and thinks (having done the legacy maths A level) you would be allowed to enter for the final sitting of legacy Further Maths exams.
Double check either directly with Edexcel through their web site or ask your exams officer to confirm on your behalf.

Thanks for the responses, Anshinya146 , Compost and gdunne42.

Yeah I think I will plan on retaking my C3 paper as well as taking the new further maths specification route A which consists of core paper 1 and 2 as well as further pure 1 and 2 papers, a total of five papers.

Id rather avoid doing the legacy further maths as I'd have to study for 6 modules in non-pure areas like stats and decision which im weaker at in comparison to pure maths. Thank you very much for the advice guys much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest