The Student Room Group

Biochem or Biomed? HELP!

Hi,
So I am having a slight problem at the moment deciding if i should apply for a biochem course or biomedical course?
I have been planning on applying for a biochemistry course but i also have a very keen interest in the body and health and disease on a larger scale than just the cells alone which is why i also think biomedical would suite me well too?
I enjoy chemistry just as much as biology but i also like looking at the body as a whole as well as cellular.
Therefore, I am struggling to decide which to apply to!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Original post by Chalky2000
Hi,
So I am having a slight problem at the moment deciding if i should apply for a biochem course or biomedical course?
I have been planning on applying for a biochemistry course but i also have a very keen interest in the body and health and disease on a larger scale than just the cells alone which is why i also think biomedical would suite me well too?
I enjoy chemistry just as much as biology but i also like looking at the body as a whole as well as cellular.
Therefore, I am struggling to decide which to apply to!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

It makes no difference what your course is called. Focus on content. I studied biochem and we studied a lot more than just cells.
Hi, I can’t seem to decide between these 2 courses as I keep alternating between them because they’re both interesting! I want to go into research, maybe into pharmaceuticals so which one is more ideal for that?
Which one offers better career prospects FOR RESEARCH?
(edited 5 years ago)
Biomedical is for working in a hospital doing sample tests for patients. So if you want to go into research then best to take biochem.
Original post by Fizzyfuz
Biomedical is for working in a hospital doing sample tests for patients. So if you want to go into research then best to take biochem.

Which one is better for employment and salary, from research and working in the nhs?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by alleycat393
It makes no difference what your course is called. Focus on content. I studied biochem and we studied a lot more than just cells.

What was it like studying biochem, and what’s your job now?
Original post by d0nkey_dude
What was it like studying biochem, and what’s your job now?

I enjoyed my course. I went on to do a Phd worked in research for a bit taught students at undergrad and postgrad level and now still work at a uni. You can work in research with either a biomed or biochem degree. You need an accredited biomed degree to work in the nhs. Employment and salary are similar with both degrees.
Original post by alleycat393
I enjoyed my course. I went on to do a Phd worked in research for a bit taught students at undergrad and postgrad level and now still work at a uni. You can work in research with either a biomed or biochem degree. You need an accredited biomed degree to work in the nhs. Employment and salary are similar with both degrees.

Could you give me a rough idea of the salaries of research compared to the nhs, seeing as you have had actual experience in the sector?
Original post by Fizzyfuz
Yes I am starting genetics course and after I finish I can take 4 years graduate medicine course and become genetic consultant with salaries upto 6 figures.

Yup but that’s still a degree and not a btec. I think you’re a bit confused with terminology so make sure you understand it well.

You also seem to only just be starting as well so you have a long way to go!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by d0nkey_dude
Could you give me a rough idea of the salaries of research compared to the nhs, seeing as you have had actual experience in the sector?

NHS salaries should be available online. Research salaries may be a bit better but it’s very very competitive and most people don’t make it. NHS career progression is more stable and straightforward.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending