The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I can’t speak or write local Malay language. Will I be able to pass the first 2.5 years before transferring to Australia university as part of the dentistry/medicine overseas Uni partnership program?
Reply 81
Original post by Renhui
Hi, i wish to join IMU dentistry partnership program where after 2.5 years I can go to Australia Uni. However, I cannot speak or write the local Bahasa Malay language. Will I still be able to graduate from phase 1 as I understand there will be training and lessons at local Hospitals in first 2.5 years. I greatly appreciate if someone can help me on the answer. Thanks!

Hey I don't speak Malay either, and there are a lot of internatinal students who don't speak Malay here doing medicine, in the PMS programe. Dentistry should be similar
Can any Foundation in Science students leave a review, regarding their feelings about the programme? I'm thinking of applying for the September FIS intake. Thanks!
Reply 83
Original post by chzzzz
Hey I don't speak Malay either, and there are a lot of internatinal students who don't speak Malay here doing medicine, in the PMS programe. Dentistry should be similar

Thanks so much for the assurance!! :smile:
Hey,

Any Singaporean going for the FEB 2019 INTAKE?
Reply 85
Anyone at IMU can help me on this? if I join the partner university program and study in Malaysia for first 2.5 years, are there any courses in the local Malay language that are compulsory for me to pass within this first 2.5 years before I transfer out overseas? I very worried I can’t pick up the local Malay language skills and then fail these courses !!
Original post by Renhui
Anyone at IMU can help me on this? if I join the partner university program and study in Malaysia for first 2.5 years, are there any courses in the local Malay language that are compulsory for me to pass within this first 2.5 years before I transfer out overseas? I very worried I can’t pick up the local Malay language skills and then fail these courses !!

Original post by Vanexxar
has anyone successfully transfer from IMU to their partner university with cGPA lower than 3.5? IMU told me that minimum cGPA 3.5 need to be achieve for transfer successfully...

Thanks in advance!

Original post by Renhui
Thanks so much for the assurance!! :smile:

Original post by Kroznox
Can any Foundation in Science students leave a review, regarding their feelings about the programme? I'm thinking of applying for the September FIS intake. Thanks!

all the information is here.
http://www.imu.edu.my/imu/programmes/undergraduate/medicine/

Original post by chzzzz

when u r free can you share with us your application experience, the teaching style and quality, the safety of your campus, safety of malaysia, which unis are easier to enter later on after 2.5 years in in IMU and anything else you want to share. thanks.
Reply 87
Hi, anyone got any idea if Biology is required as compulsory subject for imu Dentistry entry requirement? For Gce A levels, their dentistry brochure states “3 subjects: Biology, chemistry , physics or mathematics “.
I’m just not exactly sure on the grammar of their statement.
Reply 88
Hi nicotine8880! im a singaporean joining the feb 2019 intake:smile:
Reply 89
Original post by vic271
Hi nicotine8880! im a singaporean joining the feb 2019 intake:smile:

Oh, are u entering IMU Dentistry program? Can I ask at which juncture u applied using A level results if u entering Feb 19 intake? Did u take a gap year as A level results would have been released in Feb 2018 last year.
Reply 90
Original post by Renhui
Oh, are u entering IMU Dentistry program? Can I ask at which juncture u applied using A level results if u entering Feb 19 intake? Did u take a gap year as A level results would have been released in Feb 2018 last year.

Emm I'm entering the medicine program. I was a diploma graduate so I didn't do A levels and I think I applied around August last year.
Hi, im from bangladesh. actually ive just given ny ssc exam and im thinking to do the foundation course in imu thn ill try to get admission in medicine course, 2.5 year in imu thn in london. So will be good for me to do the foundation course or should i do a levels and then apply to other universities if i get good results.
May be better to do the A Levels or IB in your home country instead of going down the Foundation Course at IMU. You will have more options with A Levels or IB. The PMS is more expensive than studying A100 in a UK university (if you are successful in getting a place).
This recent development in Singapore is important for students considering choice of universities in UK and Ireland

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/moh-cuts-overseas-medical-schools-approved-for-practice-in-11459004
Original post by BrewYard
May be better to do the A Levels or IB in your home country instead of going down the Foundation Course at IMU. You will have more options with A Levels or IB. The PMS is more expensive than studying A100 in a UK university (if you are successful in getting a place).

Is this true? It looks as if IMU is cheaper, as people will only be studying 2 and a half years locally and 2 and a half years abroad, which cuts down on the pre-clinical costs? Interested to hear more. I have an offer for Foundation In Science and if it's cheaper to study medicine through A 100, I might as well do A-Levels or IB and apply directly. Thanks!
This is from IMU's own website. All-in about RM1.1 million (just fees).

http://www.imu.edu.my/imu/programmes/undergraduate/medicine/

See Liverpool's Medical School's website. All in about GBP35,550 per annum. 5 years is GBP172,750 which is RM950,125 using (GBP1 to RM5.50 exchange rate)

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/international/tuition-fees-and-scholarships/undergraduate-fees/

Be careful with foundation programme as it limits your opportunities to apply to other universities. This also applies to UK universities offering foundation programme (aka Year Zero)
Hi I have a thought to apply IMU medicine MBBS. Is there any suggestions for the interview? What should we prepare
If you are able to directly gain acceptance into any western society university (UK, Ireland, Canada, US, Australia, New Zealand), you should definitely consider taking it over going to IMU.

Comparing any western society university to IMU, IMU's course structure, teaching, layout and overall ability to provide a good degree experience for international students is poor compared to any western society university. Mind you, IMU was only founded in 1992, that's not a lot of history...

The interview is a joke, its basically a panel of 2 people having a conversation with you and just asks you some very basic interview questions with 1 very basic and easy ethical scenario at the end. Total interview time is roughly 15-20mins. They pretty much accept any student that reaches the interview stage. The entry requirement to even get in is low and therefore if your grades are decent, chances are pretty much guaranteed for you to get an interview and then get accepted. IMU is definitely not a first choice university option for international students and should only be taken if no other choice is available to that student.

Bear in mind for those students in the IMU partner program, other than meeting the minimum entry requirement for gpa (which is useless) and ielts scores, you should strive to be ranked higher than the other students in your cohort who are also in the partner program as this ranking heavily dictates your priority and preference to get your 1st choice. This ranking is based on gpa and therefore meeting the minimum entry requirement for partnering to a uni at the end of sem 5 actually means nothing in a sense, if you want a high chance of receiving your 1st preference. There are quotas for the number of places available for which each partner university can make available and accept of imu students therefore, each partner program student is fighting those those very limited number of spots to that one particular university.

While the university does ensure that every student in the partner program will eventually go to a partner university (if you meet the minimum requirements), the difference is whether you get your 1st preference or 3rd preference or 5th preference, etc. Apart from you selecting preferences on your desired university to partner to, the universities themselves also rank you individually against the cohort of partnering IMU students.

This pressure, stress and worry consumes you 24/7 and can not be taken lightly. If you have no other option, then you take it, but if you do, don't think twice and just go elsewhere.
Hi guys anyone from FIS imu going to medicine partner medical schools? And is FIS hard?
Original post by Wing:)
Hello :smile: which batch are you in?
I am not Malaysian do I don't know about this. I know we can stay in Australis/UK/Ireland for the internship and if you are matched to Canada, you can do USMLE and get an internship post in the US.

Hi,
I am an Indian origin, but born and raised in U.A.E and I am hoping to apply Malaysian uni but I am really worried about the years after completing my clinical years,I was wondering if you have any updates about further training whether the housemanship takes place in Malaysia itself or somewhere else, because it is clearly said that no housemanship is provided at New castle university ( i am not sure about IMU) for international students.

Latest

Trending

Trending