The Student Room Group

Magnetic Flux Linking

In my textbook, the following is given

When a coil is outside magnetic field, there are no magnetic field lines linking the coil. When the coil is inside a magnetic field, field lines link the coil. Moving the coil into or out of the field changes this linkage and induces an emf across the ends of the coil.

But I don't understand this. What is meant by 'linking the coil'.

Thank you for help :smile:
Original post by esrever
In my textbook, the following is given

When a coil is outside magnetic field, there are no magnetic field lines linking the coil. When the coil is inside a magnetic field, field lines link the coil. Moving the coil into or out of the field changes this linkage and induces an emf across the ends of the coil.

But I don't understand this. What is meant by 'linking the coil'.

Thank you for help :smile:

When the magnetic field passes through coil, it is called flux linking. There is a flux linkage

ϕ=BA \phi = BA
Flux linkage=Nϕ=BAN \text{Flux linkage} = N\phi = BAN

The rate of change of flux linkage induces an emf according to faraday's law
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BobbJo
When the magnetic field passes through coil, it is called flux linking. There is a flux linkage

ϕ=BA \phi = BA
Flux linkage=Nϕ=BAN \text{Flux linkage} = N\phi = BAN

The rate of change of flux linkage induces an emf according to faraday's law

Oh so linking the coil is just another way of saying that field lines pass through the coil?
Original post by esrever
Oh so linking the coil is just another way of saying that field lines pass through the coil?

Yes
Reply 4
Original post by BobbJo
Yes

I understand now. Thank you so much :smile:.

I also have another question. Magnetic flux is defined for any closed 2D shape but flux linkage is defined for a coil with multiple turns right.
Original post by esrever
I understand now. Thank you so much :smile:.

I also have another question. Magnetic flux is defined for any closed 2D shape but flux linkage is defined for a coil with multiple turns right.

Flux is the product of flux density and normal area.

Flux linkage is product of flux and number of turns
Reply 6
Original post by BobbJo
Flux is the product of flux density and normal area.

Flux linkage is product of flux and number of turns

I understand it now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest