The Student Room Group

Should I Quit My Job To Focus On A Levels

I’m currently working an 8 hour contract job in a huge retail store and I’m in my last year of high school. I only started my job in October and the interview was originally for Christmas temps but they kept us permanent as they’re moving to a bigger store.I also have a 0 hours job as a merchandiser which I’ve had for over a year now and I truly love it. I’m quite unhappy right now as I feel like my 8 hours retail job is eating into my time. I’m also Head Girl of my school so I have a lot of external responsibilities. I work Friday nights and Saturday mornings which is usually when I would do my work and also catch up with family and friends after a hard week at school. I’ve always received the top grades in school but this year, I’ve noticed my grades drastically dip, especially recently. It’s such a stressful job and of course, the pay is good and my co-workers are lovely, but I come home exhausted and therefore not motivated to get on with my work. I’m worried because I have to resit one of my AS levels too which means I need to put in double the amount of studying into one of my subjects. I just feel stupid for having quit after 3 months, but I feel like I can just play it off as staying as a Christmas temp as originally planned. I really don’t know what to do as I get my 0 hours job about 2/3 times a month and money isn’t a struggle for me. I don’t want my mentality to be working for money, but I feel ungrateful if I give up my job. My parents said they’ll support whatever I do but it’s such a tough decision.I also have offers from my universities of choice to do the courses I want and they have pretty high grades, so I’m worried I’m sacrificing it a bit. My mum wanted me to get this job so I could escape the house for a few hours and get my head out of the books, but it just makes me more stressed because I have to come home to the books after a stressful day! Plus, all my A Levels are essay based so it’s a looooooot of writing!Please help- my mum has told me to quit if it’s what I want and all my friend have too. But again, I feel bad because some people in my year have jobs too so I don’t want to seem like a stuck up princess...
Reply 1
With how hard it is to get a job these days you're best keeping it.
Reply 2
Original post by 2019_JSA
With how hard it is to get a job these days you're best keeping it.

I technically have two jobs though so this is my issue, plus doing A Levels full time in high school
Reply 3
Personally I would as education is the most important thing to me. It depends how much you value your education and getting high grades.
Original post by leafy14
I’m currently working an 8 hour contract job in a huge retail store and I’m in my last year of high school. I only started my job in October and the interview was originally for Christmas temps but they kept us permanent as they’re moving to a bigger store.I also have a 0 hours job as a merchandiser which I’ve had for over a year now and I truly love it. I’m quite unhappy right now as I feel like my 8 hours retail job is eating into my time. I’m also Head Girl of my school so I have a lot of external responsibilities. I work Friday nights and Saturday mornings which is usually when I would do my work and also catch up with family and friends after a hard week at school. I’ve always received the top grades in school but this year, I’ve noticed my grades drastically dip, especially recently. It’s such a stressful job and of course, the pay is good and my co-workers are lovely, but I come home exhausted and therefore not motivated to get on with my work. I’m worried because I have to resit one of my AS levels too which means I need to put in double the amount of studying into one of my subjects. I just feel stupid for having quit after 3 months, but I feel like I can just play it off as staying as a Christmas temp as originally planned. I really don’t know what to do as I get my 0 hours job about 2/3 times a month and money isn’t a struggle for me. I don’t want my mentality to be working for money, but I feel ungrateful if I give up my job. My parents said they’ll support whatever I do but it’s such a tough decision.I also have offers from my universities of choice to do the courses I want and they have pretty high grades, so I’m worried I’m sacrificing it a bit. My mum wanted me to get this job so I could escape the house for a few hours and get my head out of the books, but it just makes me more stressed because I have to come home to the books after a stressful day! Plus, all my A Levels are essay based so it’s a looooooot of writing!Please help- my mum has told me to quit if it’s what I want and all my friend have too. But again, I feel bad because some people in my year have jobs too so I don’t want to seem like a stuck up princess...

i'm now working in my dream career, but i had the most horrendous search for my first job - that first foot in the door - because i needed experience to get the job but i needed a job to get experience.

experience in retail is not to be looked down on, it shows good people skills, sales experience and responsibility. a few years ago i would have told you your education is more important so quit the job, now i would say you should do everything you can do juggle both. as long as you get ABB (preferably at least AAB) in your A levels you can get into a good uni
Reply 5
(Original post by sabana)Personally I would as education is the most important thing to me. It depends how much you value your education and getting high grades.
Education has always been the most important thing to me. My grades have always been high but they’ve gotten lower ever since starting this job
Reply 6
Original post by CollectiveSoul
i'm now working in my dream career, but i had the most horrendous search for my first job - that first foot in the door - because i needed experience to get the job but i needed a job to get experience.

experience in retail is not to be looked down on, it shows good people skills, sales experience and responsibility. a few years ago i would have told you your education is more important so quit the job, now i would say you should do everything you can do juggle both. as long as you get ABB (preferably at least AAB) in your A levels you can get into a good uni

I have the experience though with two jobs plus volunteering so that’s why I’m struggling to come to a decision :frown: but I know I’ll not get these grades as I get easily stressed out and get anxiety quite a lot
But you have said this is 8 hours per week, which isn't that much is it? And you have said it's good pay. You haven't told us how much time you usually get on the 0 hours contract as a merchandiser.Couldn't you keep the 8 hours job, do your studying on Sundays. (when you may be fresher having had a break from studying)?Realistically, would those 8 hours make a big difference to your week. And it looks good on your CV that they asked you to stay on and you stuck with it . Think carefully before you quit.
Reply 8
yes
Reply 9
Original post by wowee1511
But you have said this is 8 hours per week, which isn't that much is it? And you have said it's good pay. You haven't told us how much time you usually get on the 0 hours contract as a merchandiser.Couldn't you keep the 8 hours job, do your studying on Sundays. (when you may be fresher having had a break from studying)?Realistically, would those 8 hours make a big difference to your week. And it looks good on your CV that they asked you to stay on and you stuck with it . Think carefully before you quit.

Yeah that’s my mindset about staying. With merchandising you’d usually get about 5/6 hours because it’s working at concerts. And they’re making me do a lot of overtime right now... two weeks ago I did over 35 hours of work between the retail job and the merchandise job, a lot of those hours I was just put down for :/
I would let them know that you want to quit after the xmas holiday. It's completely your decision, your choise. I don't know how it works in your sixth form/college, but if you fail and have to retake a year in my sixth form. you're going to be one year behind. In that situation you only get short term gain, which is your wages.
Then quit the merchandise job, and stick with the fixed hours
Reply 12
Hey don't quit just respond to your tight schedule. It's worthwhile 😊
Reply 13
Original post by Nadim Chowdhury
I would let them know that you want to quit after the xmas holiday. It's completely your decision, your choise. I don't know how it works in your sixth form/college, but if you fail and have to retake a year in my sixth form. you're going to be one year behind. In that situation you only get short term gain, which is your wages.

I have to repeat one exam meaning I have to sit with the lower sixths and do it. But the revision would be independent because I can’t go to their classes, and the subject I’m resitting is what I’m hoping to do at uni
Reply 14
Original post by wowee1511
Then quit the merchandise job, and stick with the fixed hours

It’s my preferred job out of the two which is why I want to stay there, it isn’t as stressful either
Reply 15
Original post by bondeh
Hey don't quit just respond to your tight schedule. It's worthwhile 😊

It’s so difficult right now :frown:
Reply 16
I understand buh what do you think of dropping one job and utilize that time for studies,,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending