The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

I suffer from BDD (Body Dysmorphic Disorder), AMA

For those who do not know what BDD is:

"Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) is a distinct mental disorder in which a person is preoccupied with an imagined physical defect or a minor defect that others often cannot see. As a result, people with this disorder see themselves as "ugly" and often avoid social exposure or turn to plastic surgery to try to improve their appearance."

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you have been in a relationship, how did you 'deal' with your partner complimenting you?
Original post by Sinnerd
If you have been in a relationship, how did you 'deal' with your partner complimenting you?

I haven't got into a relationship. I actually take compliments well but might make excuses for them in my head.

For example, if some guy is like "you look like a model" or w.e. I might rationalize that I'm actually hideous and men just don't see the flaws. Or if a girl says so, I might rationalize that she's crazy or had drank too much or is weird or w.e. Other times though I actually find myself to look quite nice so believe the comments more... This opinion can quickly change and I can become suicidal about my face following very minor events, even if I had spent the rest of that day feeling very pleased with it.

Certainly if people compliment certain features I think it's total ********, like if someone says I have nice eyes, I definitely don't believe that. I'm just like "thanks :smile:" but internally just think they're desperate or something and making stuff up to try and pull me.
(edited 5 years ago)
Don't most people think they are ugly though? :redface:
Original post by CoolCavy

Yes but it's beyond just that for me. I used to spend multiple hours per day looking in the mirror, have had countless cosmetic procedures, and considered suicide due to my appearance many times.

In the past I would physically shake in public sometimes because I felt so uncomfortable with people seeing my ugly face. I would also go out of my way and cross a road just so a passerby or oncoming cars would only see my better side. Same on trains or w.e. I would only sit on specific sides where people would only see the side of my face I prefer.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by CoolCavy

This is very different. I will be watching the thread because I relate to this. Completely controls my life.

OP, what treatment have you had to help with the disorder and how would you say it's gone?
Original post by Pachuco
This is very different. I will be watching the thread because I relate to this. Completely controls my life.

OP, what treatment have you had to help with the disorder and how would you say it's gone?

Well the main treatment is that I got LOTS of cosmetic stuff done to myself to help me feel better about how I look. I've been banned for 3 months from getting any more cosmetic procedures by one doctor because I've had so many and pretty much turned up there every other week for more.

I legit want to go back now though, srs LOL. It's actually difficult for me to wait until March to get more procedures.

The other treatment is unexpected. I started taking Zoloft for anxiety, and it reduced the OCD thoughts about my face quite dramatically.
How did you get diagnosed?
Original post by FredMadison
Well the main treatment is that I got LOTS of cosmetic stuff done to myself to help me feel better about how I look. I've been banned for 3 months from getting any more cosmetic procedures by one doctor because I've had so many and pretty much turned up there every other week for more.

I legit want to go back now though, srs LOL. It's actually difficult for me to wait until March to get more procedures.

The other treatment is unexpected. I started taking Zoloft for anxiety, and it reduced the OCD thoughts about my face quite dramatically.

What kind of procedures? and how the **** can you afford them?
Original post by Obolinda
How did you get diagnosed?

I went to a psych about anxiety in general (something I suffer from), but this led to discussing specific extreme anxiety about my physical appearance etc. etc.

I am also diagnosed with anxiety/depression btw, but I swear everyone is diagnosed with that.
I went to a psych about anxiety in general (something I suffer from), but this led to discussing specific extreme anxiety about my physical appearance etc. etc.

I am also diagnosed with anxiety/depression btw, but I swear everyone is diagnosed with that.

haha
Yeah I like to get a haircut every other week ideally, these things can be helpful. Although when I have a breakdown about my looks I'm often too depressed to go to the gym.

Bad breakdowns can put me out of the gym for up to 2 weeks and I'll either eat barely anything or gorge on junk food and whatever else.
lol knew u'd be in hurr

Thanks for the reply.

How has it affected relationships? Romantic ones I mean.
Do you know what causes it?

and :hugs: I find you brave for sharing. I didn't even know what this was
I was/am the same, although I don't like to refer to it as BDD because I am very aware of what I look like and I just don't like it. I've found that as your life gets busier, you just can't spend time worrying about what you look like. It's really easy to get caught up in that thinking during school, but once you're working, it just gets forced to the back of your mind.
Original post by Pachuco
Thanks for the reply.

How has it affected relationships? Romantic ones I mean.

Helpful because all the cosmetic procedures and obsession with my appearance made me more attractive.

Unhelpful because I don't feel worthy of anyone attractive and act weird around them.
Jheeeee33ze
For those who do not know what BDD is:

"Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) is a distinct mental disorder in which a person is preoccupied with an imagined physical defect or a minor defect that others often cannot see. As a result, people with this disorder see themselves as "ugly" and often avoid social exposure or turn to plastic surgery to try to improve their appearance."

Will you please consider that you are wrong, that you are a very valuable, special person, and that you deserve all the happiness the world has to offer
Original post by elpresidente90
Will you please consider that you are wrong, that you are a very valuable, special person, and that you deserve all the happiness the world has to offer

No I cannot, I only feel okay with myself for a period after I've had cosmetic procedures performed.

If I look bad to myself in the mirror, I legitimately feel DIRTY no matter how clean I am. Like how you might feel leaving the house without having showered in a week with gross unkempt hair and not shaved. Exact same feeling. I'm legitimately uncomfortable to be out in public.

Then I get more procedures to fix the thing which is making me feel dirty (which might be, for example, a slope on my nose).

Sometimes I enjoy the way I look after having stuff done to myself, then feel good about my looks for a while. Although it's very shakey and if, for example, even one girl is not interested in me, I may melt down and think I'm deformed again. I may also melt down if I see a guy who looks better than me, be it in real life, or sometimes even on TV comparing myself to them.
(edited 5 years ago)

Latest