The Student Room Group

Have your say: Seven things you probably didn't know about becoming a teacher

There are loads of reasons to become a teacher, but here's a few you probably didn’t know about…

Read the full Seven things you probably didn't know about becoming a teacher article here :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Sorry to be a realist but....

8. You will lose your social life
9. You will be constantly tired
10. You will spend more time telling kids to be quiet than actually teaching them
11. Those one or two students who are awesome make up for it all. A Y7 student came into my room today asking if I had set any homework over Christmas. She looked really upset when I said no, so have set her loads of projects to do in her own time. Lovely!
Reply 2
Original post by ByEeek
Sorry to be a realist but....

Not all schools are like that.

10. I spend no time telling kids to be quiet.

No really. None.

But I do realise that I am in a minority.
Original post by Pigster
Not all schools are like that.

10. I spend no time telling kids to be quiet.

No really. None.

But I do realise that I am in a minority.

Agreed. I think that comes with experience. I note you didn't object to any of my other points! :biggrin:
Original post by ByEeek
8. You will lose your social life

I didn't lose my social life
Original post by The Champion.m4a
I didn't lose my social life

How? I teach 500 kids including 45 KS4. So that is 450 KS3 pieces of work that need marking per term and 45 KS4 pieces of work that need marking every two weeks. And that doesn't include data entry once a term and planning. How? Do you work for an outstanding school?

Oh - and I have kids.
Original post by ByEeek
How? I teach 500 kids including 45 KS4. So that is 450 KS3 pieces of work that need marking per term and 45 KS4 pieces of work that need marking every two weeks. And that doesn't include data entry once a term and planning. How? Do you work for an outstanding school?

Oh - and I have kids.

I teach at an international school. I rarely have to work beyond the official hours. I have a total of 51 students this year with a little more than 20 teaching hours + form for 34 teaching weeks.

Last year I did have around 100 students I think, as I had only 1-2 periods/week for three of those classes.
Ah - that explains it.
Reply 8
Original post by The Champion.m4a
I have a total of 51 students this year...

I've got 42 students this year. But then again, I will gain another A level class of 4 students starting next term (we have a January intake). What do I win?
Reply 9
I hold a masters in electrical engineering, so i am qualified [here in the U.S.] to teach engineering. I have done so, but obviously only at the uni level. From what i have observed of primary and secondary education (teaching) - a career i would absolutely NEVER consider - it has all the worst aspects of being a corrections officer in a maximum security prison - including the liklihood of armed physical attack, drugs, and gangs. My sympathies people - def not for me!!
Original post by ByEeek

Oh - and I have kids.

What subject? I mark every chid's book every week ...
very positive...
Original post by Muttley79
What subject? I mark every chid's book every week ...

Computer Science. I teach 500+ kids 1 hour a week. Marking every week would be impossible and not very useful as we would end up spending more time improving on feedback than learning.
Original post by ByEeek
Computer Science. I teach 500+ kids 1 hour a week. Marking every week would be impossible and not very useful as we would end up spending more time improving on feedback than learning.

So why are you struggling?
So why are you struggling?

Because marking that amount of work takes hours and hours. In 6 week scheme of work, marking 500 pieces of works takes 2 man days of effort. And that is on top of the 7am - 4pm grind.
Original post by ByEeek
Because marking that amount of work takes hours and hours. In 6 week scheme of work, marking 500 pieces of works takes 2 man days of effort. And that is on top of the 7am - 4pm grind.

OK - perhaps you need to find ways of marking smarter? I love teaching and still have a life.
OK - perhaps you need to find ways of marking smarter? I love teaching and still have a life.

I'm getting there. I love teaching too. But where as I had a life and kids. Now I have teaching and kids. If you don't have kids, getting them won't help anything.
Original post by ByEeek
I'm getting there. I love teaching too. But where as I had a life and kids. Now I have teaching and kids. If you don't have kids, getting them won't help anything.

I do have a family as well but I try to use free time effectively and tend to stay beyond 4pm to get some work done. Then evenings are for family until they go to bed :smile: Hope the work-life balance improves ...
I do have a family as well but I try to use free time effectively and tend to stay beyond 4pm to get some work done. Then evenings are for family until they go to bed :smile: Hope the work-life balance improves ...

Would love to spend longer in school but kiddlies need picking up and taking to swimming, football, cubs and music etc etc.
That article seems a lot more like a makerting ploy than anything else! I was hoping for something more informative.

I’m surprised at the replies disagreeing with @ByEeek, I don’t teach myself but have many teachers in the family and as friends, and the work load seems to be a hell of a lot.
I know of a fair few people who didn’t stick it out. I imagine the NQT years must be the hardest.

Also who are these teachers who have less than 50 students? :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending