The Student Room Group

GCSE English Literature Revision (+Quotations) - Help!!

I'm studying GCSE English Literature (OCR) and am doing Animal Farm, Jekyll and Hyde, and Macbeth. My teacher told the class that we should be logging quotations based on characters and themes (and setting for AF and J+H).

Logging quotations takes me hours and hours and hoursssss. I did J+H Quotations in Summer and am doing Macbeth now, and I've done pages and pages of quotes for Macbeth, Lady Macbeth, Banquo, Macduff and Duncan. There are still many other characters and themes to do. I find quotations take me very long and was wondering how other people did them/how you revised?
There's no need to be doing pages upon pages of quotations. Spread them out through your notes where they are relevant, it makes them far easier to remember (with the relevant themes etc annotated of course).English literature takes an age to revise, don't worry about it. The best thing to do is link the quotes with each other , for example in J H there are multitudes of quotes pertaining to fog/limited vision which has to do with the limited perception of the characters and a fear of the unknown (e.g fear of Darwin's theory of evolution) , which you MUST know about for J H.Also in the exam, don't use too many quotes. Pick a few relevant ones and link/discuss them in detail.
Original post by ijustwannadiex
There's no need to be doing pages upon pages of quotations. Spread them out through your notes where they are relevant, it makes them far easier to remember (with the relevant themes etc annotated of course).English literature takes an age to revise, don't worry about it. The best thing to do is link the quotes with each other , for example in J H there are multitudes of quotes pertaining to fog/limited vision which has to do with the limited perception of the characters and a fear of the unknown (e.g fear of Darwin's theory of evolution) , which you MUST know about for J H.Also in the exam, don't use too many quotes. Pick a few relevant ones and link/discuss them in detail.

Thanks for this advice, so should I just look online for essay questions, plan them, stick in quotes and learn that way?

For example, if the question was "What is the significance of Banquo?"

I would plan that answer and put quotes in my plan, ie Banquo does this and that, he says 'thou played most foully', shows this and that, and then move on, with these plans acting as my revision? Thank you
Reply 3
Original post by Koalifications
Thanks for this advice, so should I just look online for essay questions, plan them, stick in quotes and learn that way?

For example, if the question was "What is the significance of Banquo?"

I would plan that answer and put quotes in my plan, ie Banquo does this and that, he says 'thou played most foully', shows this and that, and then move on, with these plans acting as my revision? Thank you

Yes. This is what I recommend.
Original post by Tolgarda
Yes. This is what I recommend.

Thank you!

Quick Reply