The Student Room Group

mitosis and meiosis number of chromosomes question

Hey guys for the question below the answer is D hence in its technically stating that the chromosomes in the cell are doubling at one point which i don't quite understand. How do the chromosomes initially double in the first place?

https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/471872-question-paper-unit-h420-01-biological-processes.pdf
Q5
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Stormragexox
Hey guys for the question below the answer is D hence in its technically stating that the chromosomes in the cell are doubling at one point which i don't quite understand. How do the chromosomes initially double in the first place?

https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/471872-question-paper-unit-h420-01-biological-processes.pdf
Q5

There is DNA replication
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meiosis
4 is mitosis

1 is meiosis
Original post by BobbJo
There is DNA replication
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meiosis
4 is mitosis

1 is meiosis

Thank you replying, so DNA replication is the reason for the the initial number of chromosomes to double from 2n to 4n
Thank you replying, so DNA replication is the reason for the the initial number of chromosomes to double from 2n to 4n

yes it occurs during interphase
Original post by BobbJo
yes it occurs during interphase

This is what i understand so far. Intitially after the whole process generally for both mitosis and meiosis there are only chromatids in the cell, the chromatids are now called chromosomes therefore the amount of chromosomes in the cell now is 2n. These cells then undergo interphase and another chromosome(previously a chromatid) is made via dna repication. Now there are 4n chromosomes. As there are now two chromatids attached to the centromere it is renamed as chromosomes. Hence now the cell has 2n chromosomes.Is my understanding correct?
This is what i understand so far. Intitially after the whole process generally for both mitosis and meiosis there are only chromatids in the cell, the chromatids are now called chromosomes therefore the amount of chromosomes in the cell now is 2n. These cells then undergo interphase and another chromosome(previously a chromatid) is made via dna repication. Now there are 4n chromosomes. As there are now two chromatids attached to the centromere it is renamed as chromosomes. Hence now the cell has 2n chromosomes.Is my understanding correct?

Yes
Original post by BobbJo
Yes

Where would the same process happen in meiosis is it after the zygote is formed or after the whole of meiosis( the final haploid cell)?
Where would the same process happen in meiosis is it after the zygote is formed or after the whole of meiosis( the final haploid cell)?

Zygote is fertilised egg cell.

What process are you talking about
zygote is mitosis... meiosis is only for gametes(sex cells) sperms and eggs
Original post by BobbJo

Original post by Hammad(214508)
zygote is mitosis... meiosis is only for gametes(sex cells) sperms and eggs

Oh sorry I got myself mixed up there
Original post by BobbJo

So after meiosis occurs the haploid cells now have 23 chromatids (n) at the end of the process, now called chromosomes. The 23 chromatids then undergoes interphase and the same process as I said before then 46 chromosomes are present so won't the number of chromosomes be 2n instead of 4n for meiosis?
So after meiosis occurs the haploid cells now have 23 chromatids (n) at the end of the process, now called chromosomes. The 23 chromatids then undergoes interphase and the same process as I said before then 46 chromosomes are present so won't the number of chromosomes be 2n instead of 4n for meiosis?

The link I gave earlier will clarify your doubts if you read it carefully

t is a cell which undergoes interphase, not chromatids.
Original post by BobbJo
The link I gave earlier will clarify your doubts if you read it carefully

t is a cell which undergoes interphase, not chromatids.

I read through it again and I think I understand it much better now thank you XD

Quick Reply

Latest