The Student Room Group

Anyone else like 80s music?

I’m a massive fan of 80s music and wondered if anyone else is too? and what makes 80s music different and so special?

Scroll to see replies

i dunno what makes it so good and special but i love 80s music its just so good
Reply 2
It was how many people expressed themselves before the internet came along. We underestimate the hidden cost of internet on creativity.

https://youtu.be/y6QGP0OUaV4
there were some great female soloists like Cindy Lauper:

Spoiler

80s rock is by far the best
All I listen to is Smooth, Absolute 80s and Heart 80s. When I listen to older music, I hardly ever need to change stations or skip a song, whereas music produced nowadays is mostly stuff I wouldn't want to listen to.
Reply 6
Synth-pop belongs to the 80s.

Musically the 80s began in '79 and ended in '89 when Britpop, House & Rave hit mainstream.
(edited 5 years ago)
I like some music from the 80's. Other music from the 80's on the other hand is ****.
For example, I like music from artists like the pet shop boys.
One of my relatives is in a band who were very successful in the late 70s and 80s, and are still going strong today.
Reply 9
Original post by DSutch
One of my relatives is in a band who were very successful in the late 70s and 80s, and are still going strong today.

And which band is that?
I mean who doesn’t?! That’s the real question.
Reply 11
Original post by the bear
there were some great female soloists like Cindy Lauper:

And Hazel

ah Hazel.... the orange and white make-up :colondollar:
literally nobody else likes 80s music. u are unique OP
Reply 14
Original post by the bear
ah Hazel.... the orange and white make-up :colondollar:
Laura B
I love 80s music so much! It’s so different from every other decade. Maybe it’s so good because it’s somewhrre between the 70s disco era and he 90s grunge style so it’s more appealing as it’s not really too much of anything
Reply 16
Original post by heyhohereshegoes
I love 80s music so much! It’s so different from every other decade. Maybe it’s so good because it’s somewhrre between the 70s disco era and he 90s grunge style so it’s more appealing as it’s not really too much of anything

These were the children of the 60s generation, a more liberated & creative home environment combined with the development of synthesisers.
Not just music, fashion too.
Reply 17
Original post by NJA
And which band is that?

Must be Showaddywaddy. Everyone has a relative in Showaddywaddy :biggrin:
thats all - Genesis

catchiest song eva
What makes 80s music different is:

1 Sometimes a lot of effort went in to making music videos. Not necessarily very expensive ones but quirky ones that could be described as 'pop art' like Prefab Sprout's The King of Rock and Roll or Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer.

2. Atmospheric songrwriting/production, with synthesisers or guitarwork. Whether New Wave or New Romantic, there was often a sincere melancholy and/or sincere positivity to the songs. Some songs like 'Who's Gonna Drive You Home?' by The Cars are thick with sadness. In that respect, it was often a properly 'Gothic' decade in the full sense of the word.

3. The big stars of the 1970s continued to experiment and be very popular in the 1980s e.g. David Bowie, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Paul Weller, Sting. Pink Floyd faltered but 1994's The Division Bell was a great swansong. Generally speaking, the big stars used the spirit of the time, where there were big political personalities, to make 'big music' e.g. Kate Bush's The Big Sky, but there was a new concentration on sounding more fresh and 'new age' and artists like Enya came in to this too.

4. :The La's, The Stone Roses, The Happy Mondays sprang up. The latter 2 bands in particular weren't just aping 60s bands but were creating melds of sounds from the 60s, 70s, from America, and formed in to something very particular to the north west of England.

5. The Eurhythmics.

6. Australian/New Zealand rock - Men at Work's Down Under and Crowded House's Don't Dream It's Over. Things like this were arguably important to creating the early 1990s alternative music scene that featured acts like American band the Spin Doctors. Basically, the mid-1980s brought back hippy types (see point 4).

7. 60s acts charmingly became kind of 'one or two hit 80s wonders' with a re-found pop sensibility- George Harrison - Got My Mind Set On You. Marvin Gaye- Sexual Healing. Dusty Springfield- What Have I Done To Deserve This?
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest