The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster entry exams 2019

Just received my letter saying my exam day is Saturday 19th January at 9:30 and now I'm fairly anxious.
My exams are in English Lit, and Philosophy, Theology and Ethics. I'm achieving 9s in both these subjects (English AQA and RS OCR) but am worried about taking them when not in the format I'm used to and potentially on topics I'm not fully aware of.
How are you guys going to be revising? And does anyone know how they'll be formatted etc?
Any advice would be really useful, cheers!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
English lit will be an extract and you will be asked to "comment on features that you find interesting". So, they want you to appraise it. Following the Cambridge Pre-U English Literature structure.

PTE should follow a normal exam structure. I believe it's essay based.
I got my letter for the 19th too for physics and Spanish. Don’t be nervous I’m sure you’ll be fine 🙃. What building are you in? I’m in the Lindley one.
Reply 3
Original post by ribbby
Just received my letter saying my exam day is Saturday 19th January at 9:30 and now I'm fairly anxious.
My exams are in English Lit, and Philosophy, Theology and Ethics. I'm achieving 9s in both these subjects (English AQA and RS OCR) but am worried about taking them when not in the format I'm used to and potentially on topics I'm not fully aware of.
How are you guys going to be revising? And does anyone know how they'll be formatted etc?

HEYYYY am taking philosophy theology and ethics as well but i just want to do philosophy at the school so i don't understand why we have to do them all...How are you revisng for philosophy etc
And have you looked at the exam on the website on the philosophy question can you put agreements nd disagreements
Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by Sammyb987
I got my letter for the 19th too for physics and Spanish. Don’t be nervous I’m sure you’ll be fine 🙃. What building are you in? I’m in the Lindley one.

I'm also in the Lindley building! Buena suerte on your Spanish. What other subjects are you taking? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Ishaa12345
HEYYYY am taking philosophy theology and ethics as well but i just want to do philosophy at the school so i don't understand why we have to do them all...How are you revisng for philosophy etc
And have you looked at the exam on the website on the philosophy question can you put agreements nd disagreements
Thanks

I'm not sure, I think perhaps there's elements of it in Philsophy and I guess it's easier to give RE and Philosophy the same exam is my best guess because English lit and lang have the same exam.
I'm going over my RS notes for the structure and also BBC bitesize is a godsend.
Yeah I reckon you can put disagreements and agreements.
What other subjects are you planning on taking? :smile:
Original post by ribbby
I'm also in the Lindley building! Buena suerte on your Spanish. What other subjects are you taking? :smile:

¡Muchas gracias! I’ve applied for maths and chemistry as well but I think I may switch chemistry for English literature. ¿Y tú?
Reply 7
Original post by ribbby
I'm not sure, I think perhaps there's elements of it in Philsophy and I guess it's easier to give RE and Philosophy the same exam is my best guess because English lit and lang have the same exam.
I'm going over my RS notes for the structure and also BBC bitesize is a godsend.
Yeah I reckon you can put disagreements and agreements.
What other subjects are you planning on taking? :smile:

Thanks i plan on taking biology and chemistry and maths
Reply 8
Original post by Sammyb987
¡Muchas gracias! I’ve applied for maths and chemistry as well but I think I may switch chemistry for English literature. ¿Y tú?

Pienso que me gustaria estudiar Politics and history too, but I'm not too sure about history so maybe art history or biology just to relieve me from essay based subjects. I've heard chemistry gets really hard at a-level, guess it just depends what you want to take at uni, I want to take law so I can do pretty much any alevels
Original post by ribbby
Pienso que me gustaria estudiar Politics and history too, but I'm not too sure about history so maybe art history or biology just to relieve me from essay based subjects. I've heard chemistry gets really hard at a-level, guess it just depends what you want to take at uni, I want to take law so I can do pretty much any alevels

Guay, no sabo qué me gustaría ser en el futuro específicamente pero me encantaría ser un escritor y estudiar ciencias más. This is why I’m taking physics and maths. I love the Spanish language and culture and want to continue learning it but it seems that mostly everyone I talk to about A-levels is against the idea of doing it further. I know it can be done in my spare time but what’s so bad about doing it as an A-level. I’m considering a physics/natural science degree with the possibility of a joint honours in Spanish. I love the idea of a year abroad in Spain.
Hi, my entrance exam is on the 19th too!! I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, history and philosophy but for the exam i am doing the Further Maths and philosophy exam. Is anyone doing further maths or philosophy? Don't know how to revise philosophy because I currently don't do it for GCSE and the philosophy teacher I spoke to at Harris said I should do it and it would be like comprehension yet i don't know how to structure my answer. Any help?
Reply 11
Original post by Divineabu
Hi, my entrance exam is on the 19th too!! I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, history and philosophy but for the exam i am doing the Further Maths and philosophy exam. Is anyone doing further maths or philosophy? Don't know how to revise philosophy because I currently don't do it for GCSE and the philosophy teacher I spoke to at Harris said I should do it and it would be like comprehension yet i don't know how to structure my answer. Any help?

Have you looked at the exam specimens on the website? Going off GCSE history and RS the first few are fairly simple so would probably just require an explanation to show you comprehend the text or a statement then an explanation. For the ten mark question, I'd try and structure it like a 12 mark question in RS GCSE (there's plenty of videos explaining this structure on youtube). Also maybe some light reading of the BBC bitesize RS on ethics just to see some religious arguments. Drop me a PM if you want any more advice on it :smile: Good luck, I'm sure you'll smash it!!
Original post by ribbby
Have you looked at the exam specimens on the website? Going off GCSE history and RS the first few are fairly simple so would probably just require an explanation to show you comprehend the text or a statement then an explanation. For the ten mark question, I'd try and structure it like a 12 mark question in RS GCSE (there's plenty of videos explaining this structure on youtube). Also maybe some light reading of the BBC bitesize RS on ethics just to see some religious arguments. Drop me a PM if you want any more advice on it :smile: Good luck, I'm sure you'll smash it!!

Thank you so much, same to you!! I'm sure you'll do amazing too. I just did the further maths paper in time conditions from the Harris Westminster website and it was really good like it wasn't too difficult and I'm checking bbc bitesize now so thank you for your help and advice. I'll message you if I start to freak out again !
Do you know what you are wearing to the exam? i don't know what to wear because it says wear something that makes you feel clever and comfortable and dress in attire appropriate for learning. I was just going to wear jeans and a v neck jumper or like a long sleeved top but now i'm so confused.
Reply 14
Original post by Divineabu
Do you know what you are wearing to the exam? i don't know what to wear because it says wear something that makes you feel clever and comfortable and dress in attire appropriate for learning. I was just going to wear jeans and a v neck jumper or like a long sleeved top but now i'm so confused.

Wear whatever you want, it doesn't really matter, they just put that line in as a bit of a friendly joke.
Original post by ribbby
Hey where can I find the specimen which website...
Hi does anyone know where i can find similar exam styled papers to harris westminister thanks
Reply 17
Hey has anyone switched subjects for their exams?
Reply 18
Original post by ribbby

Hey, I am also doing the english lit exam and im currently achieving a grade 8+ but thats because i knew what to revise for.Have you revised?im so nervous but good luck!
Heyy is anyone taking the biology exams and do they have any tips on how to revise because am completely confused on how to revise as there is not going to b content but just like general questions and problem solving questions like it was on the paper on the website soooo am really confused.Any advice
Thanks

Latest