The Student Room Group

Does one's race affect their intelligence?

Scroll to see replies

Of course not. Race is just a social construct: individuals tend to be sorted into certain "races" as they share similar phenotypes and such with others.

Though, I think people may claim that intelligence is relevant to one's race because of the way one interacts socially, beliefs of their community, etc. This is all specific to the location and culture, not the race.

While intelligence is not fixed over races, race can impact intelligence in terms of discrimination, which is why Affirmative Action has come about in the US (e.g some may be forced to live in poverty-stricken areas, are unable to get good careers and hence impacts future education as one cannot pay for university fees - given that they don't live in Scotland).
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
No, if a black, white, asian and hispanic child were brought up EXACTLY the same way I imagine their intelligence would not differ. At least not by much.

This blank slate opinion has no justification and is not backed up by any scientific evidence and is pure speculation. Environmental impact on intelligence is less significant than the genetic effect.
https://thealternativehypothesis.org/index.php/2016/04/15/iq-and-socio-economic-status/
Original post by LongMarch
This blank slate opinion has no justification and is not backed up by any scientific evidence and is pure speculation. Environmental impact on intelligence is less significant than the genetic effect.
https://thealternativehypothesis.org/index.php/2016/04/15/iq-and-socio-economic-status/

Can you read? I said "I imagine".
Can you read? I said "I imagine".

This is a website for scholarship, not airy 'imagination'.

Scholarship? How long have you been here, do not make me laugh :|
Original post by Lilligant22
Of course not. Race is just a social construct: individuals tend to be sorted into certain "races" as they share similar phenotypes and such with others.

Though, I think people may claim that intelligence is relevant to one's race because of the way one interacts socially, beliefs of their community, etc. This is all specific to the location and culture, not the race.

While intelligence is not fixed over races, race can impact intelligence in terms of discrimination, which is why Affirmative Action has come about in the US (e.g some may be forced to live in poverty-stricken areas, are unable to get good careers and hence impacts future education as one cannot pay for university fees - given that they don't live in Scotland).

You clearly haven't read the necessary literature on intelligence to be coming to these conclusions.
https://thealternativehypothesis.org/index.php/race-and-iq/

You must be new here :frown:
Scholarship? How long have you been here, do not make me laugh :|

'the student room'. What else could the website possibly be for? I think you might be confused...
Original post by Lilligant22
which is why Affirmative Action has come about in the US (e.g some may be forced to live in poverty-stricken areas, are unable to get good careers and hence impacts future education as one cannot pay for university fees - given that they don't live in Scotland).

The problem with Affirmative Action is that in at least some cases you cannot distiguish it from anti-White discrimination, which is why the far right is rising its head, which is why the Affirmative Action may achieve results exactly contrary to the intended.

Besides, lots of groups are socially discriminated if you wish to see things like that.
I've seen lots of scholarships for 'young and talented', but so far not a single one for 'middle-aged who so far failed to do anything impressive'
'the student room'. What else could the website possibly be for? I think you might be confused...

You're new. Stick around and you will see how much of a joke that title is!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by PQ
You must be new here :frown:

Yes, and I emphasise the importance of scholarship on a 'student' website. Otherwise, are you even a student?
Does anyone in this thread actually study psychology to give an informed opinion on this topic and take part in a discussion? I think that would be useful instead of wishful speculation.
Yes, and I emphasise the importance of scholarship on a 'student' website. Otherwise, are you even a student?

I’m afraid you may be disappointed by the reality of TSR.
Wonder how we have doctors and neurosurgeons of all races around the world, what a stupid theory get in the bin
Original post by PQ
I’m afraid you may be disappointed by the reality of TSR.

I do agree there is a certain group of people on here who seemingly only boast about their predicted grades and oxbridge applications.
I do agree there is a certain group of people on here who seemingly only boast about their predicted grades and oxbridge applications.

You’ll likely find that most users will be unwilling to bother reading any sources you link to either. Quite often the boasters are the least likely to be interested in learning about new information.
You clearly haven't read the necessary literature on intelligence to be coming to these conclusions.
https://thealternativehypothesis.org/index.php/race-and-iq/

Is this comment to say that we all, genetically, have the same form of intelligence as our parents did? You deny my claims of culture and exterior factors influencing intelligence. Do you have evidence for a claim such as this?

Why do you feel that it is relevant to claim that one's culture does not impact their ways of thinking? Is this to say that we can expect completely isolated communities, such as tribal ones which do not interact with those outside of their territory, to understand how to use a computer without instruction, though they have never interacted with one before?

My final point is relevant in the United States, hence why I mentioned Affirmative Action. Many ethnic minorities are forced to grow up in poor neighbourhoods which results in little taxation recirculating to schools, resulting in poorer education. Though white people also live in such areas, they tend to live in richer neighbourhoods, and not the victim as much of racial hatred or stereotyping, resulting in a divergence in intelligence. The people in these richer neighbourhoods have more access to greater resources and education.
Original post by PTMalewski
The problem with Affirmative Action is that in at least some cases you cannot distiguish it from anti-White discrimination, which is why the far right is rising its head, which is why the Affirmative Action may achieve results exactly contrary to the intended.

Besides, lots of groups are socially discriminated if you wish to see things like that.
I've seen lots of scholarships for 'young and talented', but so far not a single one for 'middle-aged who so far failed to do anything impressive'

I agree with you on this. I feel like AA tries to tackle the gap in academic attainment between races, though it does so very poorly. It could technically be seen as racism towards white people.

I feel like this is one of those problems which just does not have a solution, or rather that it does have one, but it results in some form of inequality.
The reason for somr races being less intelligent on average is because poorer families reproduce like 12 kids but they won't be educated whereas the educated ones don't have as many kids which causes average intelligence to fall for a country/race.

Not implying that if you have many siblings you're dumb. don't cry snowflakes!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending