The Student Room Group

Anyone know how long MRI results take on the NHS?

Hi everyone,

I had an MRI scan two weeks ago, but still no result. I also asked them whether I would get a letter or a phone call, but they said they weren't sure which it would be.

I'd like to think the longer the wait, the better the news. But, I've also heard stories where this hasn't happened.

Any ideas to put my mind at peace?
Reply 1
I was an outpatient and the scan was non-urgent. However, surely if something alarming was found, they'd tell me? Or am I automatically at the bottom of the list just because it was requested as non-urgent?
Reply 2
I'm amazed that after asking these questions after my scan, nobody was able to give me this information you have. Thank you.
Reply 3
Interesting! It's good to hear from someone with experience. :smile: Is it common to find something urgent on an otherwise non-urgent requested scan? I want to kid myself and say that as it's been 2 weeks, perhaps it's nothing serious - but if my scan hasn't even been looked at yet, then I definitely can't relax. I understand now that if nothing of significance was found, then even if it's sent to the consultant who ordered it, they might just take ages to get back to you because of the lack of urgency (and therefore long wait = good news). All these speculations just get to me - I wish it was over already!

Quick Reply

Latest