The Student Room Group

neuroscience

anyone study neuroscience?? what's the degree like?
Original post by sunflower20
anyone study neuroscience?? what's the degree like?

Like in terms of..?
Reply 2
I study neuroscience. It's a great degree, harder than people tend to expect. The first year has more of a general biology focus to make sure everyone has a strong understanding of the basics before beginning to focus up on neuroscience, so first year lectures are spent with other life science courses. Second and third year is all about neuro, and depending on your uni, you get the chance to choose modules and tailor your modules to your specific interests.

(im a third year neuro student:smile:)
Original post by sy000
I study neuroscience. It's a great degree, harder than people tend to expect. The first year has more of a general biology focus to make sure everyone has a strong understanding of the basics before beginning to focus up on neuroscience, so first year lectures are spent with other life science courses. Second and third year is all about neuro, and depending on your uni, you get the chance to choose modules and tailor your modules to your specific interests.

Hello, I’m looking into Neuroscience for entry in 2020, was wondering what possible pathways there are in terms of careers, any info would be much appreciated.
Reply 4
Original post by TheNamesBond.
Hello, I’m looking into Neuroscience for entry in 2020, was wondering what possible pathways there are in terms of careers, any info would be much appreciated.

So around a third of neuro students apply for graduate entry medicine (GEM), a third work in related fields, and the other third work in non-related fields.

So to break that down a bit, related fields could mean going on to Masters/PhDs, working in research, working in pharmaceutical companies (this tends to be a really popular and lucrative career, and there are some great graduate entry programmes), medical/science writing etc

Non-related fields: IP law companies for example often want graduates with really strong science background as they need lawyers who understand the technology/drugs etc that they'll be patenting. Other than that, because neuroscience (and sciences in general) are seen as respected and quite difficult degress, a lot of options are available to you. Some people go into marketing, some cross over into pyschology and get their qualifications to become pyschiatrists, some become pilots, some go into finance and so on
Reply 5
Original post by sy000

I'm considering this as well but am a bit concerned with the amount of physics involved. I may have just been watching the big bang theory too much but there seem to be a lot of really complicated looking equations. Is this something that comes up a lot?
Reply 6
Original post by Lucia12
I'm considering this as well but am a bit concerned with the amount of physics involved. I may have just been watching the big bang theory too much but there seem to be a lot of really complicated looking equations. Is this something that comes up a lot?

The biggest influence on neuroscience is biology, with maybe a tiny bit of chemistry and statistics. No physics! There are a few equations you'll come across but because there's so few you wont even notice them. If your uni does a stats module, any big equations you need to know, they'll provide during exams. If you choose to take a pharmacology module in year2/3 then you'll have a couple more equations (but these are generally really simple kinectics)
Reply 7
Original post by sy000
The biggest influence on neuroscience is biology, with maybe a tiny bit of chemistry and statistics. No physics! There are a few equations you'll come across but because there's so few you wont even notice them. If your uni does a stats module, any big equations you need to know, they'll provide during exams. If you choose to take a pharmacology module in year2/3 then you'll have a couple more equations (but these are generally really simple kinectics)

Thank you for your help. I've been worrying about massive equations because my maths isn't strong enough for that level of physics. Chemistry and Biology I love so no problems and I can statistics as well. What sort of modules are on offer?
Reply 8
Original post by Lucia12
Thank you for your help. I've been worrying about massive equations because my maths isn't strong enough for that level of physics. Chemistry and Biology I love so no problems and I can statistics as well. What sort of modules are on offer?

No problem :smile: Completely depends on which uni you end up at, are you applying next year? Do you have any unis in mind?

First year will generally always be general life science related stuff, and not too focused on neuroscience. At my uni in first year, we have one neuroscience module (which was an intro to the basics and fundamentals), one biology-related module about cells and genes, one physiology module, and the chance to choose an optional module (so you can pick something within the school of life sciences or you can do a language or literally any other first year module in any school as long as it fits timetabling)

Second and third year is where the proper neuroscience modules come in - like neuroimaging, neuroanatomy, neurons and glia
Reply 9
Original post by sy000
No problem :smile: Completely depends on which uni you end up at, are you applying next year? Do you have any unis in mind?

First year will generally always be general life science related stuff, and not too focused on neuroscience. At my uni in first year, we have one neuroscience module (which was an intro to the basics and fundamentals), one biology-related module about cells and genes, one physiology module, and the chance to choose an optional module (so you can pick something within the school of life sciences or you can do a language or literally any other first year module in any school as long as it fits timetabling)

Second and third year is where the proper neuroscience modules come in - like neuroimaging, neuroanatomy, neurons and glia

I'm applying for next year but as vet med. It's my second application and I'm going to accept my back up if I get no offers. That all sounds pretty good though. I'm also considering microbiology as I rest like pathology and virology but I'd like to keep an open mind. How much time do you spend in lectures and labs and how much work do you get set on average? I'd be considering southern unis,preferably south east and with a year in industry in the middle. Where do you go?
Where do you study Neuroscience?
Reply 11
Original post by Lucia12
I'm applying for next year but as vet med. It's my second application and I'm going to accept my back up if I get no offers. That all sounds pretty good though. I'm also considering microbiology as I rest like pathology and virology but I'd like to keep an open mind. How much time do you spend in lectures and labs and how much work do you get set on average? I'd be considering southern unis,preferably south east and with a year in industry in the middle. Where do you go?

Contact hours are pretty average, not too few like some humanities but not excessive either. I found that in years 1 and 2 I had about 1 day off completely a week with lecture hours anywhere between 1 -5/6 a day depending on the day. In first year I had about 1 lab every week-2 weeks, but in second year you get quite a few less (but these are much more neuro based compared to first year's biology labs)
Original post by sy000

thank you!
Original post by sy000
I'm at nottingham

I’ve applied to Nottingham for neuroscience (fingers crossed) what do you like about it?
Original post by Rasaa22
I’ve applied to Nottingham for neuroscience (fingers crossed) what do you like about it?

This is kinda late but did you get in? I'm thinking of neuroscience at notts too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending