The Student Room Group

Muslims, do you go to the pub with your work colleagues?

So I’m the only Muslim person in my team and I wear the hijab. The team wanted to celebrate Christmas by going to the pub. I honestly didn’t want to go at first, as I had never been before and thought wearing the hijab would attract attention. however, I decided to go as it was lunch time so I knew no one would go crazy with the alcohol. I ordered Coca Cola while everyone around me had a pint of beer. It was quite uncomfortable as I’m not used to being surounded by alcohol. But it wasn’t too bad and was a new experience for me.

The thing they are taking about going again.me personally I don’t want this to become a regular thing because as strong as I am in my faith the temptation is always there and I do feel a little out of place in the pub.

But at I overthinking it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nah I would have felt uncomfortable if I were in your situation - it's just so hard to resist temptation when it's around you.
Well i'm not Muslim nor am I a girl. But when my friends have been in this situation they've stopped going after the first few times. During lunch I guess it's alright but for a celebration after work it could be quite awkward as everyone is drunk, flirting, trying to take each other home whilst you're sober to witness it all. Tbh I doubt anyone wants to wake up the next morning and come into work knowing you've seen them all talk nonsense the night before.

I mean, if it's a small team with friend's that are your age then you should try for the benefit of work morale but if you work with people older than you then i'm sure they'll understand and think nothing of it. Otherwise just go whenever you feel it'll only be 1-2 drinks and a chat.
sis dont go next time as islamically you are not allowed to even be in an environment where alcohol is consumed,but don't worry sis, just repent.

salam and have a good evening xxx
How do you tell them without coming across as rude that you don’t want to go to pub??
i would never ever ever do that. i would probably end up drunk. curiousity.and peer pressure
(edited 5 years ago)
Don't go if you're not comfortable
My mum's a Muslim and she manages to resist temptation when ppl around her drink, although not in pubs but restaurants.
For the times I went out drinking in London and Leeds there is tons of muslims commiting haram. Its between you and god and no one else to judge.
Original post by pineappleexpres
sis dont go next time as islamically you are not allowed to even be in an environment where alcohol is consumed,but don't worry sis, just repent.

salam and have a good evening xxx

bloody hell xd
Original post by Obolinda
My mum's a Muslim and she manages to resist temptation when ppl around her drink, although not in pubs but restaurants.

yeah - bit awkward though for me, usually avoid pubs like the plague (not your avg british girl lol)
Original post by Rainfall
i would never ever ever do that. i would probably end up drunk. curiousity.and peer pressure

But why? Aren’t you suppose to have strong faith? Where is your self control? Just order some juice weakling!
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
yeah - bit awkward though for me, usually avoid pubs like the plague (not your avg british girl lol)

Understand that. My mum doesn't go to pubs.
Original post by Anonymous
So I’m the only Muslim person in my team and I wear the hijab. The team wanted to celebrate Christmas by going to the pub. I honestly didn’t want to go at first, as I had never been before and thought wearing the hijab would attract attention. however, I decided to go as it was lunch time so I knew no one would go crazy with the alcohol. I ordered Coca Cola while everyone around me had a pint of beer. It was quite uncomfortable as I’m not used to being surounded by alcohol. But it wasn’t too bad and was a new experience for me.

The thing they are taking about going again.me personally I don’t want this to become a regular thing because as strong as I am in my faith the temptation is always there and I do feel a little out of place in the pub.

But at I overthinking it?

I'm not a muslim but do go ti the pub with colleagues. I never drink as I will drive home; no-one bats an eyelid.
Original post by livinitup2
But why? Aren’t you suppose to have strong faith? Where is your self control? Just order some juice weakling!

because i.dont have.strong faith
Original post by Rainfall
because i.dont have.strong faith

Are you muslim by name type?

Well, you’ve stayed away from alcohol in all that time so...
Original post by Muttley79
I'm not a muslim but do go ti the pub with colleagues. I never drink as I will drive home; no-one bats an eyelid.

How do you tell your colleagues without coming across as rude that you can’t keep going to the pub?
Are you muslim by name type?

Well, you’ve stayed away from alcohol in all that time so...

i am

lets just say once i start something addictive i.cant stop so i would.not put myself.in that situation
How do you tell your colleagues without coming across as rude that you can’t keep going to the pub?

Just say you have something else to do, other people to meet etc but relaxing with colleagues is important. Decode how often you want to go and stick with it :smile:
Original post by Muttley79
Just say you have something else to do, other people to meet etc but relaxing with colleagues is important. Decode how often you want to go and stick with it :smile:

What about lunch time during work hours?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending