The Student Room Group

2nd year essay - am I understanding the question right?

As anyone who has done a degree knows, questions are often worded in really stupid ways to make it very easy to make an error.
This essay is 2000 words, worth 100% of my grade and due in 2 weeks and I've done about half of it before I realised I might have understood the question wrong.
Here it is:
With reference to at least two texts from the module, discuss how writers explore political disorder in the twentieth century.

Does this mean anarchy basically or political disorder as in violence and wars etc? I can't see my tutor until a week before the deadline and I'm drowning in work as it is, I cannot leave this essay until then!

ANY HELP IS WELCOME!
Can you not discuss both?
Reply 2
The first part of the question is a quote which says something along the line of things falling apart and the centre not being able to hold. This is the thing - which one does it mean? Or does it mean both?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by MaggieR
.............!

With any question, the whole answer is always way, way larger than the essay word count. People could write multiple books on the subject. So the first thing you should do is define the narrow slither of the total possible range of answers that you are going to give.

So the ideal things to do is say something like -

The twentieth century was a period of immense global disorder, ranging from the emergence of a multiplicity of political parties, two global wars, ...... In this essay, I will specifically look at the role of anarchy and anarchic movements and described by Author A and Author B, as according to Hebron (reference) "the emergence of anarchy was the pinnacle of 20th century political maturing"

in other words, acknowledge or clarify the potential range of the topic, state the slice you are going to take (toss a coin, doesn't matter a jot what htat angle is) and use a quote to justify why your angle has some academic merit.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
With any question, the whole answer is always way, way larger than the essay word count. People could write multiple books on the subject. So the first thing you should do is define the narrow slither of the total possible range of answers that you are going to give.

So the ideal things to do is say something like -

The twentieth century was a period of immense global disorder, ranging from the emergence of a multiplicity of political parties, two global wars, ...... In this essay, I will specifically look at the role of anarchy and anarchic movements and described by Author A and Author B, as according to Hebron (reference) "the emergence of anarchy was the pinnacle of 20th century political maturing"

in other words, acknowledge or clarify the potential range of the topic, state the slice you are going to take (toss a coin, doesn't matter a jot what htat angle is) and use a quote to justify why your angle has some academic merit.

Thank you so much, this has literally been a lifesaver! It appears that I have not written 800 words of rubbish and once I see my tutor and he gives me some more guidance, I can rewrite some parts but keep the arguing the same. Thank you thank you thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending