The Student Room Group

INTP in year 13 - exams?

Extremely stuck... i cannot do work i see no point in or find boring, ill constantly get distracted even if i tried. As you can see this has caused major problems for when im 'revising' (by that i mean lack of.. because i have done nothing...). i absolutely loathe repeating useless information or anything... i either dive all in or not at all lmao.

(don't get me wrong i wasn't always like this) In year 12 i was ready and refreshed but with everything, i have a 'interested limit/motivated span' and that limit has surpassed. i was interested and determined for a year but not anymore and everything just seems like an excruciating chore that's having consequences on my mental health. :frown:

Any other INTP's who have suffered from this or had problems with school and studying? what did you do?

im close to exams (5 months from now) which annoys me because ive completely lost interest and i deffo do not want to retake and just want to finish it but at the same time i still want to get decent grades yfm?
Reply 1
Original post by Imzy010
Extremely stuck... i cannot do work i see no point in or find boring, ill constantly get distracted even if i tried. As you can see this has caused major problems for when im 'revising' (by that i mean lack of.. because i have done nothing...). i absolutely loathe repeating useless information or anything... i either dive all in or not at all lmao.

(don't get me wrong i wasn't always like this) In year 12 i was ready and refreshed but with everything, i have a 'interested limit/motivated span' and that limit has surpassed. i was interested and determined for a year but not anymore and everything just seems like an excruciating chore that's having consequences on my mental health. :frown:

Any other INTP's who have suffered from this or had problems with school and studying? what did you do?

im close to exams (5 months from now) which annoys me because ive completely lost interest and i deffo do not want to retake and just want to finish it but at the same time i still want to get decent grades yfm?

I AM IN THE EXACT SAME POSITION. I HAVE GONE FROM A*s at GCSES to not doing any work. Had three weeks off and I haven’t even touched my school bag or been in my study. Fr I’m giving up and I get distracted so easily
Original post by Ash:)
I AM IN THE EXACT SAME POSITION. I HAVE GONE FROM A*s at GCSES to not doing any work. Had three weeks off and I haven’t even touched my school bag or been in my study. Fr I’m giving up and I get distracted so easily

DUUUUUUDDDEEEE!!!!!! LITERALLY !!!!!!! i have exams first week back and i haven't touched a single book. i used to care and get decent grades but now theyre slipping because well for the above reasons lmao.
Reply 3
Original post by imzy010
duuuuuudddeeee!!!!!! Literally !!!!!!! I have exams first week back and i haven't touched a single book. I used to care and get decent grades but now theyre slipping because well for the above reasons lmao.

fr same idk whats happening to me like i was never this lazy but am legit on the verge of getting uuuu in may also im gonna fail my mocks and i refuse to retake
Original post by Ash:)
fr same idk whats happening to me like i was never this lazy but am legit on the verge of getting uuuu in may also im gonna fail my mocks and i refuse to retake

AHAHAHA, i could never retake either, so sad we're in such a similar situation yet i dont think anything will change anytime soon, at least for me :/ as in my motivation and grades will just deplete more lol

sucks even more when teachers and others expect you to do well and you let them down lol and then they get all angry cuz u 'didnt revise' hard enough... :colonhash:
Reply 5
intp here! feels like a huge paradox with dealing with the British schooling system as an intp, we value knowledge, seek to find principles and patterns and tend to enjoy academia in theory but with the nature of alevels- methodical, repetitive and tedious revision definitely does not suit us. even if you’re a 5w6! I’m sure you already understand this of course

How has it been since then? Hope everything went okay. I’m in year 12 right now and I feel exactly the same way, do you have any advice? What subjects did you take?
Always found it hard to find perspectives on school from a British intp
Original post by oneirics
intp here! feels like a huge paradox with dealing with the British schooling system as an intp, we value knowledge, seek to find principles and patterns and tend to enjoy academia in theory but with the nature of alevels- methodical, repetitive and tedious revision definitely does not suit us. even if you’re a 5w6! I’m sure you already understand this of course

How has it been since then? Hope everything went okay. I’m in year 12 right now and I feel exactly the same way, do you have any advice? What subjects did you take?
Always found it hard to find perspectives on school from a British intp

i completely agree about the Whole education system! it sucks SOOO much! :frown: It was a bit tricky tbh for me and the longer i went on into yr 13 the harder it became to stay motivated and focused but i managed to still pass luckily!

My advice would just be discipline! because a lot of things you will hate doing or find soo boring because youve already learnt it but you have to persist and force yourself to revise it and memorise no matter how boring it is.. And create a steady set studying schedule. thats where i went wrong.. i wasn't able to force myself to study or learn anyway and made excuses for why it is not important or boring so i could avoid school altogether but that just caused more problems down the line :/ Unfortunately the only way to pass is to just suck it up and memorise and repeat notes (in whatever way helps you remember). But one thing that did help me was to properly learn and ingrain information into my brain the first time learning the material so that way i felt like i didnt have to memorise or repeat information as much because i learnt it solidly and memorised it properly the first time (basically take the time to properly fully understand the material the first time learning it instead of just noting it down to memorise it and telling yourself youll learn it or go over it later- because most times there will be no later and you will not want to go over the same topic since you think you know it :P). Hopefully that makes sense.

I studied, psychology, sociology and PRE (philosophy, religion and ethics), good thing for me was that i thoroughly enjoyed learning about the subjects (except from psych but that was because the teacher couldn't teach the material properly...) not the studying or exam bit tho. so that helped me too.

Super glad to have found another british INTP, i wish you all the luck ! hopefully you'll do amazing !
if you have any other questions feel free to ask :smile: x
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Imzy010
i completely agree about the Whole education system! it sucks SOOO much! :frown: It was a bit tricky tbh for me and the longer i went on into yr 13 the harder it became to stay motivated and focused but i managed to still pass luckily!

My advice would just be discipline! because a lot of things you will hate doing or find soo boring because youve already learnt it but you have to persist and force yourself to revise it and memorise no matter how boring it is.. And create a steady set studying schedule. thats where i went wrong.. i wasn't able to force myself to study or learn anyway and made excuses for why it is not important or boring so i could avoid school altogether but that just caused more problems down the line :/ Unfortunately the only way to pass is to just suck it up and memorise and repeat notes (in whatever way helps you remember). But one thing that did help me was to properly learn and ingrain information into my brain the first time learning the material so that way i felt like i didnt have to memorise or repeat information as much because i learnt it solidly and memorised it properly the first time (basically take the time to properly fully understand the material the first time learning it instead of just noting it down to memorise it and telling yourself youll learn it or go over it later- because most times there will be no later and you will not want to go over the same topic since you think you know it :P). Hopefully that makes sense.

I studied, psychology, sociology and PRE (philosophy, religion and ethics), good thing for me was that i thoroughly enjoyed learning about the subjects (except from psych but that was because the teacher couldn't teach the material properly...) not the studying or exam bit tho. so that helped me too.

Super glad to have found another british INTP, i wish you all the luck ! hopefully you'll do amazing !
if you have any other questions feel free to ask :smile: x

totally get what you mean! it’s hard to suck it up but sometimes it’s just what we need to tell ourselves to get up and do something. The part about actually learning the information the first time round is super helpful, I didn’t realise how easy it was so solidify information when you’re actually in the lesson learning it... never paid attention, always told myself I’d revise it later haha oops, you were spot on

Interesting to see another social science intp! stereotypes for them are always hard sciences/maths/philosophy. I take sociology, politics and economics. Can I ask what you’re doing now? Work, uni, apprenticeship ? Great to hear you passed in the end so well done on that :smile: Hope you’re doing well after it all
Original post by oneirics
totally get what you mean! it’s hard to suck it up but sometimes it’s just what we need to tell ourselves to get up and do something. The part about actually learning the information the first time round is super helpful, I didn’t realise how easy it was so solidify information when you’re actually in the lesson learning it... never paid attention, always told myself I’d revise it later haha oops, you were spot on

Interesting to see another social science intp! stereotypes for them are always hard sciences/maths/philosophy. I take sociology, politics and economics. Can I ask what you’re doing now? Work, uni, apprenticeship ? Great to hear you passed in the end so well done on that :smile: Hope you’re doing well after it all

i agree! not many social science INTPs! or atleast ones that ive met lol. you're so right the stereotypes are so rigid aha. woww, how is politics? i wanted to take that subject or Gov+politics but my sixth form didn't do that subject :frown: :/ . tbh if i could have i was planning to go in a completely different direction like Textiles, design and art ! Very different for an INTP.

I was meant to go to uni but took a gap year and then didnt even get to go anywhere because COVID happened and there were world wide pandemics +Lockdowns LOL, and in the meantime i kind of realised i dont even want to go Uni, i was just going because it was expected of me and i didnt know what i was doing in life, i dont think i would have been able to handle the Uni stress because i was already struggling and having huge breakdowns in yr 13 haha. so i withdrew and started looking for/still am looking for apprenticeships and jobs, again because of COVID the market for jobs and apprenticeships has become soooooo strict and hard to get into or accepted to anything. i was working for a while but am now currently unemployed again looking for work.

huge struggle haha,

wht are you planning on doing or going into? Uni? Apprenticeship? Do you have a specific career you're pursuing or want to go into?
Which subject do you enjoy the most?
how is sixth form going so far? struggling or doing okay?
:smile:x
Reply 9
Original post by Imzy010
i agree! not many social science INTPs! or atleast ones that ive met lol. you're so right the stereotypes are so rigid aha. woww, how is politics? i wanted to take that subject or Gov+politics but my sixth form didn't do that subject :frown: :/ . tbh if i could have i was planning to go in a completely different direction like Textiles, design and art ! Very different for an INTP.

I was meant to go to uni but took a gap year and then didnt even get to go anywhere because COVID happened and there were world wide pandemics +Lockdowns LOL, and in the meantime i kind of realised i dont even want to go Uni, i was just going because it was expected of me and i didnt know what i was doing in life, i dont think i would have been able to handle the Uni stress because i was already struggling and having huge breakdowns in yr 13 haha. so i withdrew and started looking for/still am looking for apprenticeships and jobs, again because of COVID the market for jobs and apprenticeships has become soooooo strict and hard to get into or accepted to anything. i was working for a while but am now currently unemployed again looking for work.

huge struggle haha,

wht are you planning on doing or going into? Uni? Apprenticeship? Do you have a specific career you're pursuing or want to go into?
Which subject do you enjoy the most?
how is sixth form going so far? struggling or doing okay?
:smile:x

ah that’s super unlucky to have taken a gap year just as covid struck, but at least it let you realise what is best for you! Lockdown definitely gave everyone loads of thinking time for their future

politics is… interesting. honestly, it’s my worst subject. i think it’s mainly because i didn’t take history for gcse but I wouldn’t say it’s extremely difficult or that you need to have taken history. It’s definitely a lot of essay practice and seems to grade you on the quality of your writing than technique. It’s a good subject if you’re hyper aware of every crevice in UK political affairs and able to remember new news updates 24/7. that unfortunately is not me though! Totally thought it would have been more focused on political ideologies but it’s definitely more about structural and present things than the concepts you’d see in ideologies or even sociology with marxism functionalism etc. I mainly took it because I want to work in a field related to welfare services, governments, urban societies but looking back I can say that I probably didn’t need to 100% take politics for it.

Let’s hope there’ll be a bunch of government funded employment/apprenticeship schemes for 16-21’s soon!I am sure there are so many other young people in your shoes, the poor control of the virus by government has not only messed up academic cohorts but new jobseekers in the market. I totally feel for you, it must be so much harder to deal with the pandemic when you’re not in school or university in terms of beginning your future with qualifications you already have but can’t offer with everything being gone. Obviously, I’m in no position to advise you and I don’t have any experience with what you’re going through but I hope you’re not stressing out or beating yourself up about it all! Have you found any fun hobbies or interests to keep you busy during the job search? Anything that can boost your CV? What kind of field would you want to go in?

Since I going into y12 because of me wanting to go into something more professional like government/civil services the only way to get there is university I’m assuming- unless there’s a fast track scheme into the civil service for college leavers but I believe they only do that for university students. So far, I’m thinking of going into social sciences/sociology. I have a list and I’m mainly aiming to do government/policy themed modules in the degree since I prefer those topics over more ambiguous sociological topics like idk family religion or media.

Sociology is definitely my favourite subject so far- just not in terms of content! Probably just in terms of exam structure and the flexibility of the alevel in itself! Compared to economics and politics it is so much more straightforward and I am forever grateful to have chosen it because, being dead honest, sociology is one of the only subjects I feel as if I can pass.

About sixth form in general though, it’s the most mixed feeling thing in my life right now. Now that I’ve finished y12 and sat the mocks we need for our predicted grades, so far i’m predicted A*AE? But I do not feel like I could get those grades. For the A* that was sociology and we were told the topics and given a list of possible questions so I revised the big essays and planned for them, and I got an A in the exam so they predicted me an A* but I don’t see how I could do that for the real exam when I wouldn’t know the possible questions. For the A that was economics, we were given the 25 marker question in advance so we could plan our answer and then the other half of the exam was multiple choice so I just googled whatever I could understand for the question memorised an answer and, without understanding the answer (let alone the topic of it), I managed to get 20 marks and over half of the multiple choice correct (by luck, no revision) scoring me a B. I genuinely do not know how I would be able to do that for the real exam without google in front of me. For politics, I just didn’t revise, we were only told the topics. That was completely on me, I got a U but was predicted an E? I only answered one out of the three essays in the exam. although understandable, I thought it was unfair to be predicted an E since in all my exams before that i got D’s. I don’t know if i’ve articulated how conflicted it’s making me feel that well but I just feel like the predictions are too high and feel like they shouldn’t have given us the topics at all, even though it boosts our grade, because wouldn’t it just be entirely inaccurate to what happens in the real exam where we don’t know what is going to come up? I hope I don’t sound ungrateful or stupid but the pressure with these decent grades has been eating me up because I 100% didn’t work hard or even to the minimum this year for most my subjects- these grades are from my last minute panic revision the night before each exam. Just turning up next September for y13 feels like a big risk since I still don’t even understand half the content I was too distracted to learn about in class or was too lazy to learn myself after each lesson.

I know the obvious solution is to just suck it up revise everything I didn’t learn into this summer and crack on with it until exam season but.. the pressure is really holding me back. Also the diversity of being predicted from a A’s to an E makes me feel so unstable and makes me feel like I am not gonna get those A’s and the E is the foreshadowing/true reflection of my potential. Ahh just too many thoughts going through my head to learn or even do something about it I just wish we could turn it off.

Feels like a huge gamble to go rely on these grades for university applications but the other side of the coin is telling me it’s a huge waste to not go in, sit the exams next year, see if the marks earned now actually reflected my potential and see if any university will take me. I know the most sensible thing to do is to start revising, go back in Sept and actually sit the exams but it’s just so much more terrifying for me since I’ve never sat my gcses so I really don’t know what doing an exam with no knowledge of potential questions looks like.
hi! another social science intp here! I feel like the social sciences are so underrated, most people I know are going into medicine/sciences so it's so refreshing to see other social science intps!
I'm going into y13 in August and im not ready to go back to revising, I haven't touched any of my books since may when I had my AS exams! im doing psych, history, econs and maths, but im likely dropping econs or history
Original post by alyssaww
hi! another social science intp here! I feel like the social sciences are so underrated, most people I know are going into medicine/sciences so it's so refreshing to see other social science intps!
I'm going into y13 in August and im not ready to go back to revising, I haven't touched any of my books since may when I had my AS exams! im doing psych, history, econs and maths, but im likely dropping econs or history

intp friend, we’re both in y13 now! I *still* haven’t started revising, how are you getting on? are you applying to uni? which subject did you drop?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending