The Student Room Group

Official Cambridge Winter Pool (2nd) Interviews 2019 Thread

The Winter Pool is currently underway with about 4,000 candidates under consideration via the subject pools. A small number of candidates (probably fewer than 200) will be invited back to Cambridge for an extra interview. Candidates will be contacted* by phone or email from today (5th) or in the next couple of days. Note this only applies to UK resident applicants - internationals and EU applicants aren't normally invited.

The second interviews are expected to take place from 10 January onwards, though dates will vary according to College. Unlike everyone else, most re-interviewed candidates will not get their decision on the 14th Jan. Some may hear sooner, but most will be later.

If you've been invited this thread is for you! :smile: and good luck!! :crossedf: By the way, last year the offer success rate for re-interviewed candidates was 44%...

Please mention your original college, your course, the interviewing college and how you heard about the invite. :yy:

*It's worth checking all your contact details are up to date in UCAS, as that's the info they will use to contact you.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

44%?!?!
Reply 2
Original post by anonymous1231231
44%?!?!

In 2018, 172 pooled applicants were invited for a January interview. 76 received offers following a January interview. 76/172 = 44.18% :biggrin:

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/guide_to_the_winter_pool.pdf
Original post by Doonesbury
In 2018, 172 pooled applicants were invited for a January interview. 76 received offers following a January interview. 76/172 = 44.18% :biggrin:

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/guide_to_the_winter_pool.pdf

Dang let’s hope I get one😂😂when’s the latest they’ll b sent out
Reply 4
Original post by anonymous1231231
Dang let’s hope I get one😂😂when’s the latest they’ll b sent out

I'd be guessing if I said Monday... :smile:
Will you find out if you’re pooled even if the college doesn’t wish to re-interview?
Reply 6
Original post by Zakiyah_xx
Will you find out if you’re pooled even if the college doesn’t wish to re-interview?

Yes when you get the overall decision on the 14th January.
Yes when you get the overall decision on the 14th January.

So like now even if I were pooled I wouldn’t know that until the 14th
Reply 8
Original post by CottonSeany
So like now even if I were pooled I wouldn’t know that until the 14th

Correct, unless you are one of the very few invited back for another interview.
I've been pooled and called back for a 2nd set of interviews. Should I ask for feedback from my original interviews from the college I applied to or is it all viewed as being part of the same process?
Many thanks.
(And not bricking it. No. Not at all).
Reply 10
Original post by Stayingcalm999
I've been pooled and called back for a 2nd set of interviews. Should I ask for feedback from my original interviews from the college I applied to or is it all viewed as being part of the same process?
Many thanks.

Oooh, good luck!!

If you end up being rejected then your original College is the one to ask for feedback.

Which course is this for, and do you have a date for the interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Many thanks.

Good luck!! Which college has invited you back, if you don't mind me asking? 🍀🍀🍀
I'd rather not say as don't want to jinx it!
I was really wondering if you think I should ask for feedback from the original college BEFORE the 2nd set of interviews - ie find out where I was strong/weak so I can improve.
Reply 13
I'd rather not say as don't want to jinx it!
I was really wondering if you think I should ask for feedback from the original college BEFORE the 2nd set of interviews - ie find out where I was strong/weak so I can improve.

No you can't. Sorry.

And don't assume you were "weak" at all, see my comments above about possible reasons for a pool interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No you can't. Sorry.

And don't assume you were "weak" at all, see my comments above about possible reasons for a pool interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thanks :smile:
Reply 15
Ok thanks :smile:

Just realised my comments were actually on a different thread, so here it is again :smile:

"Usually it's because there was a problem with the original interview(s); some interviewers scored it significantly differently to others, an interviewer was unexpectedly called away or ill, the candidate missed the interview due to severe extenuating circumstances, etc."

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi. I found out yesterday by e-mail that I've been pooled for History (not saying which colleges because I don't want to jinx it) and I have a redo interview on the 10th. I've e-mailed back to confirm attendance but not been sent an interview time or anything yet.
Reply 17
Original post by abigailxo
Hi. I found out yesterday by e-mail that I've been pooled for History (not saying which colleges because I don't want to jinx it) and I have a redo interview on the 10th. I've e-mailed back to confirm attendance but not been sent an interview time or anything yet.

Good luck! :crossedf:
I found out that I have also been placed in the Winter Pool for History, with another set of interviews on the 10th.
Original post by Seán Joseph
I found out that I have also been placed in the Winter Pool for History, with another set of interviews on the 10th.

Hey just wondering what college has contacted you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending