The Student Room Group

Network Rail Graduate Scheme 2019 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Squire1998
Has anyone been invited to the AC yet? I'm not applying for the Graduate Scheme but the Electrical Engineering Summer Placement.

I got invited for the video interview which I completed last Sunday (the 16th). I felt that it didn't go fantastically so I'm a bit anxious about whether I've made it through or not. Is anyone here at the same stage as me? Or is there anyone lurking from last years process who can shed some light on typical response times?

Cheers.

Hi,

I have my video interview this week, would you be able to give me an insight into what types of questions the ask an how long you get to answer them please?
Reply 21
Yeah any information regarding the video interview questions would be greatly appreciated.
There's not really much more info I can give that isn't given in the e-mail they send. You have 30 seconds to read the questions (all situational, 5 in total) and formulate your answer, then you have 2 minutes to deliver.
There's not really much more info I can give that isn't given in the e-mail they send. You have 30 seconds to read the questions (all situational, 5 in total) and formulate your answer, then you have 2 minutes to deliver.

I think they hinted there'd be more than one question for each situation, how many did you receive. It seems similar to the test I done at the start
Reply 24
Anyone used an iPad to complete the video interview?
Well, I got in the 70% percentile for maths but I messed up my English that I thought it went better and I didn’t get it so, they are deffo looking for a balance on both
Original post by particlestudent
I think they hinted there'd be more than one question for each situation, how many did you receive. It seems similar to the test I done at the start

Yeah the questions were followed by 2 or 3 bullet points to address in your answer.
Yeah the questions were followed by 2 or 3 bullet points to address in your answer.

Thanks, I just hope my mind doesn't go blank:biggrin:
Just done my video interview for the general management scheme.

Felt it went okay, hopefully made it through to the next stage!

Good luck everyone!
Original post by ally3601
Just done my video interview for the general management scheme. Felt it went okay, hopefully made it through to the next stage! Good luck everyone!
what were the Qs like? any tips on how to prepare for it?
Original post by FeeFee123
what were the Qs like? any tips on how to prepare for it?

We supply the software to conduct video interviews, so we can definitely help you get prepared.

Most companies will ask you competency based questions (i.e. how you do something) with a much smaller number asking strengths-based questions (i.e. what engages and interests you). These approaches are very different, so be sure to clarify which one will be used for your interview. Whichever type of questions they asked, the hiring company will be looking to establish whether you can do the job to the required standard while fitting into the existing culture.

Most will be open questions. They usually consist of one part but some may digress to find out a little bit more about you. Nearly all the interview questions will be very straightforward, with no trick questions. Don’t be surprised if you are initially asked an icebreaker question. This is intended to ease you into the process and make you feel more comfortable.

Typically, you will have between 1.5 and 2 minutes to respond to a question. Hiring companies tend to give you more time than you need. They won’t be evaluating you on how long your answer is, so don’t think that you need to fill every second of the allocated time. If you finish your answer and still have time remaining, simply press the option to move on to the next question. There is no need to wait until the end of the allotted time.

If you want to familiarise yourself with the process, you can trial one question at https://shortlist.me/ After the free question you would need to upgrade to continue, but it might help you understand how it works at least

Hope this helps and good luck! If you have any more questions just shout.

................................ ................................ ................................ .
Shortlist.Me is a platform where you can prepare, practice and improve your interview skills to get ahead of your competition. We’re interviewing experts and here to help you, so ask away!
Hi, has anyone been invited for an interview yet?
I am still waiting to hear back for my video interview (Which i did on the 16th).
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by kapslock16
Hi, has anyone been invited for an interview yet?
I am still waiting to hear back for my video interview (Which i did on the 16th).

Hey, I did my video interview on the same day! Still not heard anything back however.
If I try out the practice question, can I come back to the real video interview at a later stage, or must I continue?
Hey, I did my video interview on the same day! Still not heard anything back however.

Ahh, good luck! Which Scheme did you apply for?

I'm just nervous as its been sometime and i felt like i didn't do as well as i could of have. Ahh, i shall see..
Ahh, good luck! Which Scheme did you apply for?

I'm just nervous as its been sometime and i felt like i didn't do as well as i could of have. Ahh, i shall see..

They've been taking long getting back to people, the wait after the online situational judgement test was long for me!
They got back to me today saying i'd past the VI initial screening stage and now are deciding whether to invite me to AC or not; they also said the AC dates are now uploaded for our perusal in our account areas, but they aren't there lol.

The recruitment team at network rail seems really baddd lol they responded yesterday to a query i had about tests, 4 weeks after i sent the question… pretty useless. I'd like to say this is just the tradeoff when companies outsource recruitment, but at other companies this hasn't been an issue. idk man it's weird how the experience of the selection process can shape your view of a company
Original post by HeyThereHarry
They got back to me today saying i'd past the VI initial screening stage and now are deciding whether to invite me to AC or not; they also said the AC dates are now uploaded for our perusal in our account areas, but they aren't there lol.

The recruitment team at network rail seems really baddd lol they responded yesterday to a query i had about tests, 4 weeks after i sent the question… pretty useless. I'd like to say this is just the tradeoff when companies outsource recruitment, but at other companies this hasn't been an issue. idk man it's weird how the experience of the selection process can shape your view of a company

I totally agree, i got the same email yesterday stating the same thing.
Original post by HeyThereHarry
idk man it's weird how the experience of the selection process can shape your view of a company

100% agree. I applied to Frazer Nash back in mid November and recived an automted e-mail saying they respond within 5 working days of the deadline (25th Nov). Since mid DecemberI have sent recruitment an e-mail and left a voice message with no responses. Then I called twice more looking for an update only to be pawned of by reception. They seem like a really interesting company to work for but this debacle has left a really bad taste.
I totally agree, i got the same email yesterday stating the same thing.

Did you get the email today ‘reminding’ you to book a slot? Not that there’s anywhere in my account area to book one!!

Quick Reply

Latest