The Student Room Group

Should I drop my 4th A- Level?

Hi,

I am currently in year 12 and am taking maths, bio, chem and philosophy a level with a goal to studying medicine at uni. My first predicts were A,A,A,A but I believe that if I was to drop philosophy I could bump up one or two of the others to an A*? I love philosophy as a subject and it has been one of my main passions for years, and I am not finding it that difficult at a level either, but I don't want to sacrifice my dream of doing medicine over a bad mistake.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

I know the pain of chemistry A level seeing as i myself have chosen it for my year 12 studies. Now here is your dilemma. The fact is that medecine is arguably the most competeitve course out there besides others such as Law, and to even perforate this ceiling you need excellent grades in the subjects you have teken, especially chemistry. If you genuinely are committed then dropping philosophy could open you up with more time to study these other subjects, and yes, maybe even clinch an A*. However I have heard from my friends that Philsophy is a fantastically interesting course, that may provide some relief for you for the stress of those intrinsically hard a levels. Personally I would drop philosophy due to the weight of these new a levels which bare a behemouth amount of learning, and one less a level will allow more time for the others certainly.

IT IS YOUR CHOICE! If you love it and you're passionate then stick with it, but seriously consider if you can hit those grades with a busy and bloated a level course which is already quite frankly hard beyond belief with taking ONLY 3.
Original post by ryan15mcc
Hi there,

I know the pain of chemistry A level seeing as i myself have chosen it for my year 12 studies. Now here is your dilemma. The fact is that medecine is arguably the most competeitve course out there besides others such as Law, and to even perforate this ceiling you need excellent grades in the subjects you have teken, especially chemistry. If you genuinely are committed then dropping philosophy could open you up with more time to study these other subjects, and yes, maybe even clinch an A*. However I have heard from my friends that Philsophy is a fantastically interesting course, that may provide some relief for you for the stress of those intrinsically hard a levels. Personally I would drop philosophy due to the weight of these new a levels which bare a behemouth amount of learning, and one less a level will allow more time for the others certainly.

IT IS YOUR CHOICE! If you love it and you're passionate then stick with it, but seriously consider if you can hit those grades with a busy and bloated a level course which is already quite frankly hard beyond belief with taking ONLY 3.

This is one of the most bonkers things I've ever read on TSR
Original post by Ecdysiastt
This is one of the most bonkers things I've ever read on TSR

soz i thought that was the OPs comment you quoted.

still, ryan15mcc sounds unhinged
Original post by CollectiveSoul
soz i thought that was the OPs comment you quoted.

still, ryan15mcc sounds unhinged

I've read a few of his other comments and it's very entertaining
Original post by Ecdysiastt
I've read a few of his other comments and it's very entertaining

it could be someone experimenting with artificial intelligence on TSR? sounds very scripted
How, please do elaborate.
well Guess what,

I’ve done my gcse’s, so I’m helping people using my knowledge of my experiences so they too can do well and succeed. Hope that’s ok with you. Wouldn’t want to displease you.
I actually went through a very similar problem in Y12 whilst doing Chemistry, Physics, Maths, and History. I'd say follow your heart. If you love philosophy, don't drop it. I actually ended up dropping Physics and applied to do History at university. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made.
well Guess what,

I’ve done my gcse’s, so I’m helping people using my knowledge of my experiences so they too can do well and succeed. Hope that’s ok with you. Wouldn’t want to displease you.

:smile:

i will have to add "to even perforate this ceiling" and "the weight of these new a levels which bear a behemoth amount of learning" to my admittedly very limited vocabulary! never my strong point i will accept
Glad I could help, hopefully with a levels anyway, what uni do you want to go to?
Original post by hillarious_cow
Hi,

I am currently in year 12 and am taking maths, bio, chem and philosophy a level with a goal to studying medicine at uni. My first predicts were A,A,A,A but I believe that if I was to drop philosophy I could bump up one or two of the others to an A*? I love philosophy as a subject and it has been one of my main passions for years, and I am not finding it that difficult at a level either, but I don't want to sacrifice my dream of doing medicine over a bad mistake.

Thanks in advance for your response.

I'd say follow your heart. If you love philosophy, don't drop it.
If you love it and have always had a passion for it, then it could be break/relief from your other subjects.
Hi there,

medicine is definitely NOT the most competitive course lmao
Hmmm notice how my language says arguably. Look up your articles as I did before and just have done now, and yes, medecine and density are up there as I said. Not the most competitive but I said arguably, and arguably it is one of the most competitive along with, as I also said, Law and others. There is also a difference between popularity and competitive, competitive usually is hard because people who go for it need good grades to stand out from others with really good grades.

https://www.concentra.co.uk/blog/most-competitive-university-courses-which-courses-are-the-hardest-to-get-onto
Hmmm notice how my language says arguably. Look up your articles as I did before and just have done now, and yes, medecine and density are up there as I said. Not the most competitive but I said arguably, and arguably it is one of the most competitive along with, as I also said, Law and others. There is also a difference between popularity and competitive, competitive usually is hard because people who go for it need good grades to stand out from others with really good grades.

https://www.concentra.co.uk/blog/most-competitive-university-courses-which-courses-are-the-hardest-to-get-onto

DOn't really want this to turn into a full blown debate because it isn't relevant to OP but all I was gonna say was vet med is probably the most competitive :confused:
What does OP mean?

I mean do you have a thesaurus next to you while you're typing?

One of the qualities of a good communicator is that they can use terms everyone understands and is comfortable with. Shoving in farty language just makes things more unclear, save the formality for formal settings
What does OP mean?

original poster
You’re in year12. You have plenty of time to drop if you want to. Or take an as in it.
1) no i dont see the sense in using a thesaurus, you can easily acquire vocabulary by reading..a lot.
2) Who’s worse, someone replying to help another, or someone replying to get cheap shots at someone who is attempting to aid a question. That’s very smart of you.

Quick Reply

Latest