The Student Room Group

Help, I can’t choose a Church!

So I was raised Catholic. I’ve been baptised, had my holy communion and confirmed. I’ve been to the same church for 13 years (most of my life) and our preist knows my family so well. It’s a nice community, the church we go to.

But since starting uni I’ve been to a Hillsong-style church and I just love it soooo much. It’s so upbeat, and friendly and fun. Sometimes during service I literally get goosebumps because the message from the pastor is so powerful to me.

Catholic church doesn’t make me feel like this BUT I love reading at catholic church (I’m a lector at my catholic church), and I like the rituals of mass too.

So what do I do? How do I choose a church? What type of church do you go to, and why?
I like old fashioned traditional Baptist churches with hard preaching. mainly because the preaching has ALOT of scripture compared to the average sermon nowadays and I learn a lot and helps get sin and bad habits out of my life.👍 oh and I love hymns.

but there's barely any in the UK and I can't go to a church of my own choice so I have to go to church with my parents (pentacostal)😞

I personally don't like either of the churches you mentioned at all, but out of the two I think it's better to go Hillsong.🙂
Hmmm, tricky situation! You could look a bit into the Catholic Charismatic Renewal? http://www.ccr.org.uk/ Afaik they run summer camps and events across the UK :jebus:

But generally speaking, whilst Hillsong is def not for me, I can't see why you can't attend services at both. I'm RC but I spent my undergrad days worshipping in my college's chapel, which was Anglican. I had no intention of converting to Anglicanism or anything - am still very much a Roman Catholic! - but I just felt a bit out of place at my uni's Catholic chaplaincy.

Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you along your way. Good luck :jebus:
Original post by Anonymous
So I was raised Catholic. I’ve been baptised, had my holy communion and confirmed. I’ve been to the same church for 13 years (most of my life) and our preist knows my family so well. It’s a nice community, the church we go to.

But since starting uni I’ve been to a Hillsong-style church and I just love it soooo much. It’s so upbeat, and friendly and fun. Sometimes during service I literally get goosebumps because the message from the pastor is so powerful to me.

Catholic church doesn’t make me feel like this BUT I love reading at catholic church (I’m a lector at my catholic church), and I like the rituals of mass too.

So what do I do? How do I choose a church? What type of church do you go to, and why?

sorry to ask this...but where abouts do u live??
It sounds like you have connected strongly with the style of preaching and worship at hillsong.
Is it an option for you to go to hillsong's sunday services during term time and do catholic mass & confession when you feel like it on weekdays?
During the holidays when you are with your parents they might take it the wrong way if you stopped going to their usual church.
My mother got quite tearful when she realized I only go to mass and confession a handful of times a year.

I've been to see lots of different church denominations over the last five years.
I'm lazy catholic and prefer to go to catholic church for Christmas eve midnight mass.
I tend to go to anglican church for easter.

I've visited anglican, baptist, plymouth brethren, christian scientist, liberal CofE, greek orthodox, pentacostal, methodist and unitarian churches.
I steer clear of churches linked with the fundamentalist Free Presbyterian Church of Ulster, opus dei and all brethren sects using the word "exclusive".
I'm not keen on the style of worship at hillsong or the way that they solicit financial contributions from worshipers.

Pentacostal churches are great for learning about the old testament but a bit too enthusiastic about loud worship, dance and tithes by direct debit.
Christian science churches are very deeply immersed in anti-vaxxer doctrines and aggressively preaching against the medical profession/healthcare system.
Greek orthodox churches tend to be theologically hardline, the sermons tend to be quite long, new faces are noticed immediately by friendly members of the congregation who are all very welcoming.
Unitarian churches have very different beliefs about the trinity in comparison with many other churches and unusual interpretations of many bible stories.
Reply 5
Seek out Silver Ginger 5 at the Church of the Broken Hearted.
Reply 6
I've started going to an English speaking Eastern Orthodox Church after I realized C of E churches were no longer for me and have turned their backs on Christianity. I love the traditionalism of Eastern Orthodox, really loving it.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous

where do you feel most confortable in thats how i would chose what church, i go to a normal catholic church
I was born into a catholic family and have always been very involved in my parish, not just because I have a duty as a member of the church but how I feel about my faith and the doctrine. My catechists were extremely helpful in helping me understand more about how we worship, why we go to mass and our values. In my personal opinion, I think you should go with your heart when making a decision like this. Explore various church values and beliefs. Do you wish to speak freely about God and Jesus without any strict rules or follow doctrine/ get a sense of obeying the word of the lord and loving him wholely?
Unitarian, Baptist and Protestant are a bit more lapse on rules for sexuality, divination and so on. Islam is a lot, lot more stricter. It’s what you feel comfortable with.
Reply 9
I belong to a church that seeks to be like the one Jesus set up, beacsue that's what He wants!

So, membership is thriough water and Spirit baptism (see Acts 2v4, 33-39), meetings are along the lines given in 1 Corinthians 14.

Best thing is to visit yourself, not rely on other people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending