The Student Room Group

Applied for 5 Universities - best to worst???

I’ve applied to study either Criminology and Psychology and Forensic Psychology at 5 different uni’s. These are; University of Central Lancashire, London Met, Edge Hill, Manchester Met and Royal Holloway.

I was just wondering out of everyone’s opinions the list of best-worst out of those I’ve applied for.
Which do you recommend I attend?????

Thank you! 😀

Scroll to see replies

Original post by honelson1
I’ve applied to study either Criminology and Psychology and Forensic Psychology at 5 different uni’s. These are; University of Central Lancashire, London Met, Edge Hill, Manchester Met and Royal Holloway.

I was just wondering out of everyone’s opinions the list of best-worst out of those I’ve applied for.

Thank you! 😀

Visit the locations, look at the modules and see which course appeals to you the most.

That's the best way to decide.
Royal Holloway is by far the best out of those 5.

The Unis ending in Met are pretty bad.

Thank you! 😀

Hi, hope you're well!

We agree with Blue_Cow. University visits are typically the best way to find out which place is best for you. We run campus tours every month, led by a current student, and it's your chance to find out more about us. Check each University's website to see what open events they have within the next few months.

We also agree with looking at the course info on each institution's website - our Criminology and Psychology page can be found here.

Good luck with your application - let us know if you have any questions!

Thanks,
Alex
Original post by harrysbar

Sure, newer universities do not necessarily enjoy what many consider to be a "high" ranking on rather arbitrary and highly variable league tables (e.g. compare Edinburgh's and Kings' ranking on domestic vs international tables), but that doesn't mean they're bad.

Most will offer a more vocational style of delivery compared to your ancients/red-bricks/plateglass universities which is no bad thing.
Reply 5
Royal Holloway. Plus you'll feel like you're at hogwarts.
Original post by Spratty

Yes - the Founders building is just amazing!
I've also applied for Criminology and Psychology (Southampton and Royal Holloway) and Forensic Psychology (Portsmouth). On paper, Royal Holloway seems the best out of your options - but don't go off paper. Visit the unis, see which one you prefer.

It is also worth considering whether you'd want to do postgraduate study in Psychology - if you do, then you'll need a BPS accredited degree. You can check whether a degree is BPS accredited on this website - https://www.bps.org.uk/public/become-psychologist/accredited-courses
1 royal
2lancs
3edge
5 london met / man met
Reply 9
Ive applied to study chemical engineering at ucl, manchester, lancaster, surrey and Queen Mary's. Rank my choices.
I could do but your request wasn't polite in the slightest so No.
Original post by Spratty

Hogwarts where everyone got Acceptable on their NEWTs.
People with 7+ inchers.

Referring to wands btw. Oak and dragon heartstring.
Reply 13
I could do but your request wasn't polite in the slightest so No.

I don’t see what the problem with my request was? I asked politely I didn’t just say “rank these.” Actually asking for people’s opinions takes courage, and I said thank you so I don’t see why you have a problem. There was no need. Have a nice day.
I don’t see what the problem with my request was? I asked politely I didn’t just say “rank these.” Actually asking for people’s opinions takes courage, and I said thank you so I don’t see why you have a problem. There was no need. Have a nice day.

I was repying to IBBY 45 not you - I had already replied to your original request and suggested you put Roya Holloway first?

Sorry for the confusion - I forgot to quote IBBY in my reply.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by IBBY45
Ive applied to study chemical engineering at ucl, manchester, lancaster, surrey and Queen Mary's. Rank my choices.

Where do you think you will be happiest and able to get the best degree you’re capable of?
Royal Holloway is by far the best out of those 5.

Royal Holloway is a very different university to the others. If OP isn’t happy there then dropping out or scraping a pass wouldn’t be better than thriving elsewhere. Someone used to city life wouldn’t be best advised to pick RHUL.

There’s more to choosing a university than ranking based on prestige. And you cannot determine the quality of a university or course based on a quirk of a university name.

Thank you! 😀

Do you have offers from them all?

Have you visited?

Do you want to live in a city or in a small village?
Original post by PQ
Royal Holloway is a very different university to the others. If OP isn’t happy there then dropping out or scraping a pass wouldn’t be better than thriving elsewhere. Someone used to city life wouldn’t be best advised to pick RHUL.

There’s more to choosing a university than ranking based on prestige. And you cannot determine the quality of a university or course based on a quirk of a university name.

The OP asked for everyone's opinion and I gave mine.

No one can predict which Uni OP will be happiest at but I have visited Royal Holloway several times and think it's a decent Uni as well as ranking higher than the others in terms of prestige.
The OP asked for everyone's opinion and I gave mine.

No one can predict which Uni OP will be happiest at but I have visited Royal Holloway several times and think it's a decent Uni as well as ranking higher than the others in terms of prestige.

The OP is a 17/18 year old looking for guidance. You seem sensible and mature enough to realise that providing YOUR personal preference isn’t actually going to help them decide where they’ll thrive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending