The Student Room Group

Car not going into 5th gear?

Hi guys,

So I have a 2018 Citroen C1 Puretech flair 1.2 (bit of a mouthful lol). I got it brand new in October so it's had no previous owners.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but when I'm in 4th gear and try to go into 5th gear it appears to be dropping into 3rd instead (revs go up, car jolts and makes insane amount of noise, and tells me to shift up a gear). The first few times I used 5th gear I didnt have this issue it worked fine. It happened occasionally after but generally still worked, and now EVERY time I try 5th gear it happens. I've tried so many things, pushing it completely along and upwards slowly, doing it more quickly and relaxed. Nothing seems to work!

I was certain this was a technical error but my dad tried it for me and he said it was fine. Something in me just cant believe him lol I dont know what I'm doing wrong! I even showed him what it does when I do it and he said it doesn't look like I'm doing anything wrong either.

Just as an extra note, my foot is completely pressing down the clutch and I'm definitely going fast enough to go into 5th.

Has anyone else had this issue? Or any experiences like this with Citroen c1? (Or similar models e.g Toyota auto or Peugeot 108?)

Any help would be super appreciated, I want to try everything before wasting time at a garage for them to tell me it's me doing something wrong lol!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Have you just sat while the car is either off, or with the clutch constantly depressed, to try shift it into 5th? It might have a weird gate or have an angle you need to use but you're not used to it yet?

Also if you hold the gear stick to the left side, like you're holding a glass of water with your left hand. That should help, as it'll be harder to accidentally drop it into 3rd. Also, if something is actually wrong with your gearstick, it may be covered by your warranty.
Original post by xDron3
Have you just sat while the car is either off, or with the clutch constantly depressed, to try shift it into 5th? It might have a weird gate or have an angle you need to use but you're not used to it yet?

Also if you hold the gear stick to the left side, like you're holding a glass of water with your left hand. That should help, as it'll be harder to accidentally drop it into 3rd. Also, if something is actually wrong with your gearstick, it may be covered by your warranty.

Thanks so much for replying I'm going out of my mind lol! Yeah I have, I took a video of it as well just sitting stationary outside my house, it definitely seems to "go into" 5th when stationary, the only thing I'm unsure about though is it's one of those gearsticks where its quite loose, like you can shimmy it around in whatever position it's in and it does feel quite loose in 5th like as if it leans into 3rd, but part of me things I'm over analysing that and being paranoid because it is just one of those gear sticks where it isnt like a sturdy set up

Thank you for that suggestion! It definitely might be the way I'm holding it I'm going to go out in the morning and try a couple things so I'll definitely try that. It might be I was thinking the same! Especially since it's brand new it doesn't even have 300 miles on yet.
My parents think I'm just overthinking it now and being too conscious of it. I know it's not often you need 5th gear especially considering I dont go far but it's just so frustrating especially when it's probably me doing something wrong 😂
Original post by elliesaysno
Hi guys,

So I have a 2018 Citroen C1 Puretech flair 1.2 (bit of a mouthful lol). I got it brand new in October so it's had no previous owners.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but when I'm in 4th gear and try to go into 5th gear it appears to be dropping into 3rd instead (revs go up, car jolts and makes insane amount of noise, and tells me to shift up a gear). The first few times I used 5th gear I didnt have this issue it worked fine. It happened occasionally after but generally still worked, and now EVERY time I try 5th gear it happens. I've tried so many things, pushing it completely along and upwards slowly, doing it more quickly and relaxed. Nothing seems to work!

I was certain this was a technical error but my dad tried it for me and he said it was fine. Something in me just cant believe him lol I dont know what I'm doing wrong! I even showed him what it does when I do it and he said it doesn't look like I'm doing anything wrong either.

Just as an extra note, my foot is completely pressing down the clutch and I'm definitely going fast enough to go into 5th.

Has anyone else had this issue? Or any experiences like this with Citroen c1? (Or similar models e.g Toyota auto or Peugeot 108?)

Any help would be super appreciated, I want to try everything before wasting time at a garage for them to tell me it's me doing something wrong lol!

I’ve been driving a C3 for 3 years and whilst I haven’t noticed any specific issues about 4th to 5th, the gearbox as a whole is definitely a bit looser than the Fiesta I learnt in. It took a bit of getting used to, but I just have to be more careful.

There’s some good videos like the following on how to position your hand to reduce the chance of selecting the wrong gear:

https://youtu.be/mu_UPE-ehEA
Original post by Admit-One
I’ve been driving a C3 for 3 years and whilst I haven’t noticed any specific issues about 4th to 5th, the gearbox as a whole is definitely a bit looser than the Fiesta I learnt in. It took a bit of getting used to, but I just have to be more careful.

There’s some good videos like the following on how to position your hand to reduce the chance of selecting the wrong gear:

https://youtu.be/mu_UPE-ehEA

Yes! I learned in a fiesta too, the gears definitely do feel a lot less sturdy in my citroen. I don't know anybody personally who drives a citroen so that's really helpful to hear, I never thought of looking at videos like that so I'll be sure to check some out. Thank you!
Reply 6
You don't need 5th gear unless you are motorway driving, you can even drive on a motorway in 4th gear, but you will burn a ton more fuel and give more pain to the engine.
Original post by guerneuu
You don't need 5th gear unless you are motorway driving, you can even drive on a motorway in 4th gear, but you will burn a ton more fuel and give more pain to the engine.

Yeah I do keep thinking that, I'd just rather have the security knowing it'll work when I do need it even if that is on a less common occasion. I use the A1 quite a lot and the sound the car makes in 4th on there is concerning lol. Exactly, the inefficiency for the fuel is an inconvenience I guess but the potential damage it could cause to the engine especially when it's a brand new car is the most worrying. With it being new though I'm putting it down to an error I'm doing rather than technical I've just been avoiding driving it recently because it gets me in a flap while going 60mph which is not a good combination lol
Reply 8
It sounds to me like it's your technique which is the issue. You might just be a bit too heavy handed and going straight up to 3rd from 4th. If it's a new car, I wouldn't be surprised if the gear changes are smoother than you might be use to.

When I go from 4th to 5th I allow the gearstick to naturally "spring" into neutral first and from the LHS of the gearstick use my palm to guide it right and up to 5th.

As someone mentioned. Practice going from 4th to 5th whilst the car is stationary.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Menrva
It sounds to me like it's your technique which is the issue. You might just be a bit too heavy handed and going straight up to 3rd from 4th.

When I go from 4th to 5th I allow the gearstick to naturally "spring" into neutral first and from the LHS of the gearstick use my palm to guide it right and up to 5th.

As someone mentioned. Practice going from 4th to 5th whilst the car is stationary.

I totally agree it's probably something Im doing but it is hard to distinguish what. I have practiced a lot already while the car is stationary and it does seem to 'slot in' to 5th. When I'm consciously attempting to go into 5th that is the technique I've actually been doing, using my palm i push the gear stick completely along to the right and then upwards. It seems to lean a lot into 3rd when I let go so I'm not sure whether that's the issue, I've tried a more 'relaxed' approach also where I don't push so far and harshly but still didn't seem to work.
Reply 10
Being a new car the gearbox could actually be much notchier than you are used to. After 10k miles most manuals are better than when they are brand new as they loosen up and you can push across from 2nd-3rd and 4th-5th.

With that being said if you are struggling to get it into gear when sitting stationary and thinking about nothing other than changing gear there must surely be a problem with the car. There is only one way to change gear.

If it's fine while stationary and only a problem on the move then no one here is going to be able to help you.

And anyone who says you don't need 5th unless you're on a motorway needs some more driving lessons with a decent instructor. Talk about teaching people how to pass the test rather than how to drive!
My C3 likely has the same engine and gearbox as the OP and it’ll prompt me to change into 5th around 45mph for fuel efficiency. So this will definitely need resolving even if they never see a motorway :smile:
Bad synchros maybe?
Original post by Admit-One
My C3 likely has the same engine and gearbox as the OP and it’ll prompt me to change into 5th around 45mph for fuel efficiency. So this will definitely need resolving even if they never see a motorway :smile:

I thought exactly the same. It tells me to shift up constantly in 4th gear so I'd like to be able to use 5th gear a lot more for fuel efficiency. Thank you!
Original post by FXX
Being a new car the gearbox could actually be much notchier than you are used to. After 10k miles most manuals are better than when they are brand new as they loosen up and you can push across from 2nd-3rd and 4th-5th.

With that being said if you are struggling to get it into gear when sitting stationary and thinking about nothing other than changing gear there must surely be a problem with the car. There is only one way to change gear.

If it's fine while stationary and only a problem on the move then no one here is going to be able to help you.

And anyone who says you don't need 5th unless you're on a motorway needs some more driving lessons with a decent instructor. Talk about teaching people how to pass the test rather than how to drive!

Yes exactly! That was my concern with it being new hence why I haven't instantly taken it to a garage, the lack of miles means it hasn't loosened up yet.

No it is fine when stationary it does seem to slot into 5th position, hence why I posted here to see if anyone with the same or similar car encountered the same thing and could help me with my technique :smile:

I completely agree, I was always encouraged to use 5th gear when learning to drive which is why I'm seeking suggestions. Its surprised me to hear quite a few people dismissing it saying I hardly will use 5th gear because it's a 'cruising gear' so it isnt a pressing issue. Even my parents said the same but I personally think it's quite important lol
Original post by nevershear
Bad synchros maybe?

I'm not too great with technical terms lol, would would make synchros bad in my case?
Original post by elliesaysno
I'm not too great with technical terms lol, would would make synchros bad in my case?

Poor quality gearbox or terrible care taken of it. Normally it's a sign the previous owner absolutely ragged the hell out of your car and is more common in ford/renault hot hatches and and 1l turbos, but your car was owned from new. Needless to say, take it to Citroen under warranty, best case scenario it's just you; it costs nothing to find out.
Original post by nevershear
Poor quality gearbox or terrible care taken of it. Normally it's a sign the previous owner absolutely ragged the hell out of your car and is more common in ford/renault hot hatches and and 1l turbos, but your car was owned from new. Needless to say, take it to Citroen under warranty, best case scenario it's just you; it costs nothing to find out.

Ah I see, thanks for the info & advice. Will try a few more techniques tomorrow. I'm only reluctant to take it to citroen because my Dad has driven it and said he had no problems getting it into 5th gear and he couldn't get it to actually NOT work and have the problem I have.
It points towards it being me being an absolute gorm and having crap technique but you're right I dont lose anything by getting it checked over in case there is something slightly wrong that could be making it easier for my **** technique to do it wrong lol. Thank you
Reply 18
Multiple things could be at play here.
You could be over accidently shifting into 3rd thinking its 5th. To combat this, sit in the car when turned off an shift through all the gears a few times.
Built quality of the gearbox is extremly poor (Syncros are bad). When the engine is on try shifting into 5th with the clutch down. If its hard, doesnt want to go in etc) signs of syncro. E.g. my car doesn't 100 percent go into reverse sometimes so i have to play with the clutch and gearstick to get it to slot in sometimes.
Clutch could be slipping (highly unlikely as car is new).

In my mk 3 clio i constantly shift to 5th gear at 30mph to save petrol (goes to 1.5k rpm).
Experiment with your gear ratios to see the limit of each gear.
For me it is (5th 30, 4th 20, 3rd 15, 2nd 8).
Is it bad for the gear box going round a bad bend in 5th gear

Quick Reply

Latest