Politican Called Nazi During Live Interview Watch

SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Anna Soubry, MP for Broxtowe, was called as a nazi today during a live interview with the BBC by protesters outside of Parliament. She was later followed and shouted at when trying to re-enter Parliament.

Full story here, with video clips: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46785357

What do you make of this?

Personally I think it's pretty awful for anyone to be harassed like this, be them left or right, a remainer or a leaver. It doesn't achieve anything to follow someone and scream at them and just makes you look like a total ass.

That said I don't think the police should (or even could) act on this, though perhaps some effort should be made to stop it happening in future?

Funnily enough I actually recognise one of the protesters in the video, they were a counter-protester in the People's Vote rally that happened last year. Not often do I see people I've seen in real life on the front page of the BBC! xD
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Anna Soubry, MP for Broxtowe, was called as a nazi today during a live interview with the BBC by protesters outside of Parliament. She was later followed and shouted at when trying to re-enter Parliament.

Full story here, with video clips: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46785357

Personally I think it's pretty awful for anyone to be harassed like this, be them left or right, a remainer or a leaver. It doesn't achieve anything to follow someone and scream at them and just makes you look like a total ass.

That said I don't think the police should (or even could) act on this, though perhaps some effort should be made to stop it happening in future?

Funnily enough I actually recognise one of the protesters in the video, they were a counter-protester in the People's Vote rally that happened last year. Not often do I see people I've seen in real life on the front page of the BBC! xD
Although I am fairly well disposed to her over Brexit, I think she ought to grow up over this. Plenty of politicians have been called far worse.

There is the famous occasion when Lewis Silkin MP was accused of being a member of the Gestapo when addressing a public meeting in Stevenage. He didn’t carry on like Soubry and bear in mind this was 1946 and Silkin was Jewish.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The problem is that this happens, in a less public way, to a great many politicians.

The job itself is far from pleasant. Ill-informed "scrutiny" at every turn, general anti-politics derision, a salary that often doesn't come close to reflecting the level of experience and responsibility, long hours, extensive travel, threats to your personal security...

If you're find having thick-skinned, unapproachable loud-mouths leading the country, that's all fine. Some people are quite happy to give as good as they get. But the reality of it is that this sort of thing puts good people off going into politics, especially people who may be valuable voices to have but aren't quite as robust.

In terms of existing politicians, it stops them engaging with the public. How often are you going to go to public meetings and events if - regardless of what you do - you are sworn at and shouted down by some of the worst people in society?
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Perhaps they are annoyed at one of the most vocal people trying to stop brexit since they won their democratic vote......

Won’t someone please think of the children an MP was shouted at from a distance in the presence of police 😂
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
(Original post by paul514)
Perhaps they are annoyed at one of the most vocal people trying to stop brexit since they won their democratic vote......
Well, clearly! Do you think it should be accepted for an MP to receive harassment like this, irrespective of their views?

(Original post by Econ4lifez)
Well said. Sourby and other nazi remainrs are traitors to Britain and Democracy.
What makes you think that Sourby and people like her are Nazis?
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
(Original post by L i b)
If you're find having thick-skinned, unapproachable loud-mouths leading the country, that's all fine. Some people are quite happy to give as good as they get. But the reality of it is that this sort of thing puts good people off going into politics, especially people who may be valuable voices to have but aren't quite as robust.

In terms of existing politicians, it stops them engaging with the public. How often are you going to go to public meetings and events if - regardless of what you do - you are sworn at and shouted down by some of the worst people in society?
An interesting point, I hadn't considered it from this angle. I suppose an exception here is with the backbenchers or independents who aren't 'running' the Government and won't be in the public spotlight nearly as much.

(Original post by ltsmith)
why can't people discuss politics without resorting to childish name calling?

both the left and right do this

the left: nazi, hitler, racist, ...

the right: snowflake, cuck, soy, ...
What's worse is that these people are adults... I can get perhaps some edgy teenagers online calling people stupid names but grown up men and women?
TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The people should have been arrested for defamation.
Violet Femme
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Econ4lifez)
Well said. Sourby and other nazi remainrs are traitors to Britain and Democracy.
There is a perception that leave supporters aren't the most well educated bunch of people. Calling Soubry a nazi implies you don't understand what nazism is, therefore only supports that view.
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Really disturbing and a deliberate attempt by an all male mob to physically intimidate a female politician. It is only 3 years ago that female MP Jo Cox was stabbed to death by a right wing extremist. These guys know what they are doing and it has nothing to do with democracy.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
things like this will get worse - and more frequent.

we have replaced the family, as the main source of security and prosperity with the goverment..

now that the goverment is your family - their actions will directly effect your security, well-being, future, health care, elderly care etc. Its personal now. They are not just some body who keeps law and order and protects the boarders.. they are your family.

This is why people care more. 100 years ago the goverment had very little to do with your daily lives... 50 years ago they had a reasonable bit of influence, but compared to today? Today they have more influence over you then your immediate family do. Government has weaseled its way through bodies, regulation, taxation etc. into every aspect of your life - so now it feels personal. It feels like you are being betrayed, or hurt, or stolen from.. People have a lot more at stake now when governments take action, so people care far more then they ever did before.

Our political system wasn't designed for this, and is cracking at the seems.. It needs to be reformed urgently if we want to keep democracy functioning - or it increasngly opens the door to facism/comunism/anarchy/revolution etc.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If the fascists are upset with you, chances are you must be doing something right.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Violet Femme)
There is a perception that leave supporters aren't the most well educated bunch of people. Calling Soubry a nazi implies you don't understand what nazism is, therefore only supports that view.
According to Guido Fawkes, they are a bunch of EDL/Breitbart regulars from the far right - one of the ones featured on the TV clips abusing Soubry is a well known conspiradroidalist in the world of illuminati-lovers and the like.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What makes you think that Sourby and people like her are Nazis?
People can decry a politician if they like it shouldn’t be illegal and currently it isn’t so yes.

Nigel Farage who always gets this treatment and has for many years said the same himself today
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Won’t someone please think of the children an MP was shouted at from a distance in the presence of police 😂
Not sure that the campaign we saw in the Channel 4 film last night qualifies as a "democratic vote". More like a load of offshore billionaires buying professionally distributed lies and breaking both electoral law and the spirit of electoral law to get their own way by cheating, with the assistance of psychotic campaign teams and greviously hypocritical Tory MP fellow travellers anxious to use it to grab power.

Hardly the brightest day ever for British democracy.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Not sure that the campaign we saw in the Channel 4 film last night qualifies as a "democratic vote". More like a load of offshore billionaires buying professionally distributed lies and breaking both electoral law and the spirit of electoral law to get their own way by cheating, with the assistance of psychotic campaign teams and greviously hypocritical Tory MP fellow travellers anxious to use it to grab power.

Hardly the brightest day ever for British democracy.
Ah yes a ‘political’ drama written and produced for channel 4 acted out by confirmed remainers.

Well that’s the definitive story 😂
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ah yes a ‘political’ drama written and produced for channel 4 acted out by confirmed remainers.

Well that’s the definitive story 😂
Most of the right wing write-ups in places like the Spectator, Guido, the Torygraph, etc, seemed pretty happy with the portrayals, which says something about them I suppose.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Most of the right wing write-ups in places like the Spectator, Guido, the Torygraph, etc, seemed pretty happy with the portrayals, which says something about them I suppose.
Cool story

Politics on channel 4 is a joke.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cool story

Politics on channel 4 is a joke.
Guido doesn't agree with you.

"After much anticipation, Brexit: The Uncivil War aired last night, predictably sending the usual suspects like Carole Cadwalladr into indignant Twitter froths. Those who were actually there (including two thirds of the current Guido newsroom) enjoyed Benedict Cumberbatch’s riveting performance as Dominic Cummings, even if many of the broader details of the campaign were inevitably glossed over in the limited space of 90 minutes. It was a drama, not a documentary…"
https://order-order.com/2019/01/08/d...ictory-speech/
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Guido doesn't agree with you.

"After much anticipation, Brexit: The Uncivil War aired last night, predictably sending the usual suspects like Carole Cadwalladr into indignant Twitter froths. Those who were actually there (including two thirds of the current Guido newsroom) enjoyed Benedict Cumberbatch’s riveting performance as Dominic Cummings, even if many of the broader details of the campaign were inevitably glossed over in the limited space of 90 minutes. It was a drama, not a documentary…"
https://order-order.com/2019/01/08/d...ictory-speech/
Enjoyed not agreed based on your quote, but my point is simple.

Politics on 4 = no
ChickenMadness
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ltsmith)
why can't people discuss politics without resorting to childish name calling?

both the left and right do this

the left: nazi, hitler, racist, ...

the right: snowflake, cuck, soy, ...
People lose their jobs, houses, literally die due to government policies for example. So it's understandable they would be angry.

Applies to any government or politician.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (363)
59.12%
Yes- I don't like it (33)
5.37%
No- I want it (174)
28.34%
No- I don't want it (44)
7.17%

Watched Threads