The Student Room Group

The student ODP (Operating Department Practitioner) support and discussion thread

Idk if this thread will even do well but I’ll try, so I made this thread for fellow student ODPs who would like to have discussions about:
-the course
-good/bad experiences
-feelings/rants about placement or uni
-things/worries you want to get off your chest
-progression after the course
-anything you want to discuss about :smile:

Whether you’re fresh out of A-levels, a mature student, previous healthcare worker or anyone as long as you’re a student ODP then you’re welcome here. You can introduce yourself if you want and which uni you go to or if you choose not to say anything about you (since we all respect confidentiality herelol) then that’s okay. It would be nice to have student ODP discussions here!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
First year student here, I know this is a very fresh thread (hoping that any other student odps even see this lol) but does anyone know any good books or journals in relation to plenum and laminar flow, as I'm doing an assignment on the pros and cons of these two, any help would be appreciated!
Reply 2
Hi

I hope I’m okay to post in this thread, I’ve just applied for ODP starting September 2019 and hope to be successful. It’ll be great to hear how current students are getting on with their courses and their experiences
:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Musicem
Hi

I hope I’m okay to post in this thread, I’ve just applied for ODP starting September 2019 and hope to be successful. It’ll be great to hear how current students are getting on with their courses and their experiences

Which uni have you chosen? :redface:
Reply 4
Original post by Mesneaks
First year student here, I know this is a very fresh thread (hoping that any other student odps even see this lol) but does anyone know any good books or journals in relation to plenum and laminar flow, as I'm doing an assignment on the pros and cons of these two, any help would be appreciated!

first year student here too! tbh I’d love to help you with your assignment but I don’t know much about the topic 😂 can you try your university library?
Reply 5
yeah i've looked at plenty of ebooks through the library and found loads about laminar flow but nothing about plenum :') lecturers love giving out stuff that's hard to find >_<
Reply 6
Original post by Musicem
Hi

You’re on the right thread! In my experience, starting placement was a real struggle for me especially on the first day since I just came out straight from sixthform and I had no experience working in theatres. I remember crying at home after the first day of placement because my temporary mentor treated me like i wasn’t even there. It was just so different from what I was used to. The rest of the people i’ve worked with are awesome and you just need to have that perseverance to carry on.

I don’t mind the academic/university side of it, I think it’s quite easy. The best part of it for me are the people in my course. We’re all so different from each other in terms of age and experience but we all get along quite well and our lecturers are great too!

I hope you get in your first choice!!!
Reply 7
yeah i've looked at plenty of ebooks through the library and found loads about laminar flow but nothing about plenum :') lecturers love giving out stuff that's hard to find >_<

aww bless you, ngl I have no idea what they even mean! good luck tho :frown:
Reply 8
Which uni have you chosen? :redface:

I’ve applied for University of Hull :smile:
Hi I’m a mature student with an offer to study odp at Anglia Ruskin in September. I also have an interview at UOS next month and although it’s more local I’m really drawn to ARU. It’s going to be a tough decision if I get two offers. Has anyone here studied at either?
Reply 10
Original post by mrsshirazi
Hi I’m a mature student with an offer to study odp at Anglia Ruskin in September. I also have an interview at UOS next month and although it’s more local I’m really drawn to ARU. It’s going to be a tough decision if I get two offers. Has anyone here studied at either?

Hi, I'm a mature ODP student in my second year at Anglia Ruskin and I love the course, the mentors are fantastic and extremely supportive. The actual course is set out well and has a manageable workload which I find as a mature student is invaluable.
Happy to chat if you have any other questions
Reply 11
Original post by mrsshirazi

which aru is this?
Reply 12
Original post by Lala~
which aru is this?

I'm based at the Chelmsford camous.
Hello

Ive applied for ODP for the September 2019 intake, id really like to go to Hull

Does anyone know of anything you have to buy at the start of the course, like materials etc? On the university websites most say you have to buy a stethoscope and a couple of other bits

Thanks

Rosie
Original post by Rosieac194
Hello

Does anyone know of anything you have to buy at the start of the course, like materials etc? On the university websites most say you have to buy a stethoscope and a couple of other bits

Thanks

Rosie

first year here and i'd recommend buying an anatomy and physiology book, I use Totoras principles of Anatomy and Physiology, extremely helpful for assignments and referencing, i bought the 13th edition off amazon which comes with a study guide; which i found helpful. I also recommend Balliere's Nurses' Dictionary, It's a small pocket book full of useful medical terminology which you'll find extremely helpful in placement; where you'll find some jargon and terminology confusing.

I'm not sure whether purchasing a stethoscope is necassary as on placement they usually have them anyway hung over an anaesthetic machine, not to mention they take a patients BP electronically anyways.

I'm not sure if Hull Uni library provides online ebooks or not but don't buy too many books yet because you may find they do and it saves alot of money, plus you can still reference from them, my lecturers provide a reading list so they may do the same at Hull? I hope so anyway.

Overall stock up on tons of pens (you'll lose them lol) A4 notepads and a pocket notebook that'll fit in your scrub pockets at placement; also folders for your notes and placement book.

Good luck!
Reply 15
Hello

Thanks

Rosie

Scissors, notepad that fits your scrubs pocket, A and P book (Id recommend “The Human Body” and “Essentials of Equipment in Anaesthesia...” <<< The best book for anaesthesia equipment.
None of us bought a stethoscope so only buy it if they really want you too. Oxford handbook of peri operative practice is great aswell if you want quick overviews of all three areas!
Reply 16
Can anyone tell me why or give me information as to why we do what we have to do for the anaesthetic machine checklist?

I can perform all the steps our hospital gave us and I understand some but there’s a number of steps which confuse me.

So what’s pretty straightforward to me are the:
•Draining the system so we drain the agents used
•AGSS or scavenging system okay or at green
•Supplementary O2 available
•Suction working and reaches 400mmHg when occluded means suction is working
•Pipeline checks so that it’s correctly inserted inside
•Hypoxic guard test - interlock system between nitrous and oxygen so that nitrous when being delivered also delivers oxygen and when oxygen is off, nitrous is off aswell
•O2 failure test

•Breathing systems leak test I *kind of* understand, it’s just to make sure that there’s no leak when gases are being delivered right? and we’re looking for high and sustained airway pressure alarm.

what I don’t understand the reasons why we have to do them are:
•O2 calibration 21% and 100%
•Ventilator working and why is it set on certain settings like I:colone:-1:2, plimit at 40 cm H2o etc.
•Negative low pressure test with vapourisers and the suction bulb

I know it may be different to everyone but are there any links or good books which can explain why we have to do these?
Im still on my first year and the anaesthetic used to be one big puzzle for me but now I’m starting to become more familiarise with it but it’s just these certain steps I’d like to know more about.
(edited 5 years ago)
What's the salary like for a qualified ODP?
Reply 18
Hello

Thanks

Rosie

Hi Rosie

I have also applied for ODP at University of Hull for the September 2019 Intake

Have you got an interview next month?

Emma
(edited 5 years ago)
Abit of a rant: tfw you're in the circulating role and the scrub practitioner blatantly ignores you and talks to the support worker behind you for help, but gives a dirty look when you just sit down to stay out of the way 🙄🙄

Quick Reply

Latest